Date: 17 Jan 89 22:01:48 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!cs.tcd.ie!csvax1!omahony@uunet.uu.net  (Donal O'Mahony - OMAHONY@cs.tcd.ie)
Subject: Re: Question for COCOMO users

>>: So far, so good - the difficulty come in the scheduling equation
>>
>>which of the following is TRUE?
>>
>>A)   TDEV = 2.5(EFFORTnominal)**0.38
>>or
>>B)   TDEV = 2.5(EFFORTactual)**0.38
>>
>  I believe tha answer is A.  This is from looking back on notes from the
>  same book (similar course I hope :-) ).  The organic model in a few pages
>  back (pg 85 fig 6-5) shows the formula for MM as EFFORTnominal.

Actually, the reason I was wondering, is that I have problems with both.

If A is true, then it implies that the effort multipliers have no effect
on the time taken to develop a system.  In other words, even if you have
the best possible programmers, use all modern programming practices, and
all possible 'best approaches', it still takes the same time.

If, on the other hand (B) is true, then it makes a nonsense of the
method used to accelerate a project. For example, if you want to achieve
75% schedule compression, you want TDEVnew = 0.75 TDEVnominal, but you
actually get TDEVnew = 0.75 (B) which may turn out to be schedule
expansion instead!

I don't suppose Barry Boehm is listening, to give the final word on this??

- ------------------------------

Date: 20 Jan 89 20:08:02 GMT
From: read.cs.columbia.edu!kearns@columbia.edu  (Steve Kearns)
Subject: Storing Dictionaries

I am looking for papers describing efficient storage
schemes for Dictionaries, (such as would be used with
a spelling checker.)  I would appreciate any leads
people could give me.

- ------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 89 16:10:42 GMT
From: mcvax!ndosl!cc-krs!kim@uunet.uu.net  (Kim Lilliestierna)
Subject: DEFT CASE tool

My company is considering to buy a case tool called DEFT
from Deft inc. If anyone have had experience with this tool I would
appreciate any comments that you might have.

- ------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 89 15:54:00 GMT
From: hubcap!wtwolfe@gatech.edu  (Bill Wolfe)
Subject: Call for votes: comp.sw.components

   It is proposed that a new newsgroup be created, comp.sw.components.

   This newsgroup would facilitate discussions about software components
   and their design, implementation, and utilization.  Also, this would
   be a place for reviews of component vendors and their products.

   To date, such discussions have occurred in comp.lang.ada and have
   been cross-posted to comp.software-eng.  The new newsgroup is intended
   to permit comp.lang.ada to concentrate on issues related to the language
   itself.  Although the definition of the newsgroup does not preclude
   the discussion of components written in languages other than Ada, it
   is anticipated that Ada will be the primary language used due to its
   powerful support for software components.  However, other languages
   may come along in the future which provide even better support.

   Regardless of the language used, questions regarding component
   implementation strategies with respect to a particular language are
   expected to be posted here rather than in the newsgroup which discusses
   the language itself.

   Send your votes to wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu; they will be collected
   for as long as they continue to arrive at a reasonably high rate, and
   the results will be summarized in news.groups.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

- ------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 89 21:22:12 GMT
From: oravax!kkm@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (Kambhampati Krishnamurty)
Subject: Software reliability conferences

   I am looking for a list of conferences (at least a few) in
the area of reliability (software and hardware). I would
appreciate any related information.

   e-mail can be sent to me at
kkm%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

- ------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 89 01:59:02 GMT
From: sun.soe.clarkson.edu!mic@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Mic Lacey)
Subject: MCAE/CAD Software

I have been given the task of putting together a CAD system.  At first (the
first 6 to 9 months) it will be mainly used for drafting.  After that
I would like to be able to begin using the system to perform finite element
analysis.  In the future I would also like to be able to add features such
as tool path generation an NC/CNC programing to this system.   It is also
important that I can easily generate several distinct but similar drawings
from one model drawing (I beleive a common term for this is parametric design,
but I haven't a clue to why it is called parametric design).

I would like to start out with one or two workstations, and then be able
to add more (2 to 5) within the next year and a half.

I have an curently am looking at several mini and micro based systems, and
I would appreciate any comments on any system (software and or hardware)
that is availible.

If you do have any information on the aprox. prices of the system you
comment on I would apreciate that also.

- ------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 15:34:15 EST
From: John Foreman <jtf@SEI.CMU.EDU>
Subject: TRI-Ada 89 Call for papers

                                 TRI-ADA '89
                               CALL FOR PAPERS

Theme: Ada Technology in Context:  Application, Development, and Deployment

Date: 23-26 October 1989

Location:  D. L. Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh, Pa

TRI-Ada  '89  is  a refereed conference. The following paragraphs outline the
objectives of the conference and serve as instructions to interested authors.

The second annual TRI-Ada conference will address fundamental principles  and
important  innovations  in  the  design,  definition,  and  implementation of
real-world applications using Ada.  Papers emphasizing both  theoretical  and
practical  aspects  are  solicited, although papers describing actual systems
using Ada are preferred.  Papers  must  describe  new  ideas  that  have  the
potential  to  improve  the  understanding,  implementation,  management  and
acceptance of Ada and Ada support methodologies for practical applications.

The following topics are especially targeted for this conference:

   - Pragmatic Experiences  with          - Software Build and Integra-
     Ada                                    tion Approaches

   - Evaluating   and  Selecting          - Portability Techniques  and
     Compilers and Toolsets                 Issues

   - Overcoming   Compiler   and          - Prototyping   for  Ada  Ap-
     Toolset Limitations                    plications

   - Risk   Reduction/Management          - Business/Economic Issues
     Strategies
                                          - Post  Deployment   Software
   - Requirements  for  Standard            Support
     Libraries
                                          - Ada  Policy  and  Impact on
   - Metrics/Data  Gathering for            Procurement
     Ada Applications
                                          - System         Reliability:
   - Design   Issues   and   Ap-            Security  and  Fault Toler-
     proaches                               ance

   - Systems Engineering                  - CM and Version Control

   - Hardware/Software Tradeoffs          - Cost Estimation:  FSED  and
                                            Life Cycle
   - Testing Techniques
                                          - Results from Software Reuse

                                          - Results  from Education and
                                            Training Efforts

Authors should submit 10 copies of a technical summary no later than 15 April
1989.    The  initial submission should NOT be a complete paper and should be
structured such that it can be rapidly evaluated by members  of  the  program
committee.    Submissions  are limited to 10 pages, double spaced, and should
include a return mailing address and an electronic address if possible.   The
total text should not exceed 3000 words.  Papers will be judged on relevance,
clarity, correctness, originality, significance,  and  applicability  to  the
topics  of  the  conference.    It  is important to include specific results,
sketches of their derivations, and comparison to previous work.

Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection  no  later  than  31  May
1989.    Full versions of the accepted paper must be received in camera ready
form by 1 August 1989.  Authors of accepted papers will be expected to sign a
copyright  release  form.   Proceedings will be distributed at the symposium,
and will subsequently be available from the ACM.

Send technical summaries to:

                              TRI-Ada '89 papers
                              c/o Tom Probert
                              Encore Computer Corporation
                              257 Cedar Hill Street
                              Marlborough, Ma 01752-3089
                              (e-mail: probert@encore.com)

Conference Co-Chairs are:

   - John Foreman, Software  En-          - Major  Chuck Engle, US Army
     gineering Institute (SEI)              and      SEI       (e-mail:
     (e-mail: jtf@sei.cmu.edu)              engle@sei.cmu.edu)

Program committee members are:

   - Tom  Probert,  Encore  Com-          - Norm Cohen, IBM (Co-Chair)
     puter   Corporation    (Co-            (e-mail: NCohen@IBM.com)
     Chair)
     (e-mail: probert@encore.com)         - Don O'Neill, Software Engi-
                                            neering Institute

   - Captain  Rebecca   Abraham,          - Erhard  Ploedereder, Tartan
     USAF                                   Laboratories

   - Joan Bebb, TRW                       - William  Scherlis,  Defense
                                            Advanced  Research Projects
   - Mark Gerhardt, ESL                     Agency

   - Lt Col Rick Gross, USAF              - Diane C. P. Smith, Xerox

   - Charles   ("Bud")  Hammons,          - Dudrey  Smith,  Smith   In-
     Texas Instruments                      dustries

   - Tim   Harrison,    Software          - Tucker Taft, Intermetrics
     Productivity Consortium
                                          - Nelson  Weiderman, Software
   - Major   Robert  Lyons,  Jr,            Engineering Institute
     USAF

   - Geoff Mendal, Stanford Uni-
     versity

   - Tricia Oberndorf, Naval Air
     Development Center

- ------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 89 10:26:38 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!warwick!expya!jtr@uunet.uu.net  (Jason Trenouth)
Subject: AI & SE workshop

          *                                     *
          *     12 - 14th April 1989            *
          *     University of Exeter, UK        *
          *                                     *
          ***************************************

The purpose of this workshop   is  to present and discuss  a
broad set of issues relating to  the promise and problems of
exploiting  AI in practical software.  The  four foci of the
workshop  are: AI-based  support environments; AI mechanisms
and techniques in  practical software;  Software Engineering
tools   and   techniques for   practical AI  software;   and
methodological issues.

The workshop will be structured around invited presentations
from both  practitioners and  researchers  from the  USA and
from Europe.   Each such  presentation  will be  followed by
ample    discussion time.      In   addition,    some  short
presentations    of  relevant  submitted  papers  will    be
scheduled.  Several panel discussions are also planned.

In order  to  facilitate the  possibility   of useful,  open
discussion the workshop  will be limited to approximately 40
persons.  If you would like to participate, present a paper,
or organize a    panel discussion, please   send  a one-page
summary of your interests in this area to:

                Professor Derek Partridge,
                Department of Computer Science,
                University of Exeter,
                Exeter, EX4 4PT, UK

                email: derek@uk.ac.exeter.cs
                tel: Exeter (0392) 264069
                FAX: 0392 263108

- ------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 89 22:34:02 GMT
From: sei!gibbs@pt.cs.cmu.edu  (Norman Gibbs)
Subject: Call for Papers

Note that there is still time to submit a paper for CSEE89.

                                Call for Papers

            THIRD SEI CONFERENCE ON SOFTWARE ENGINEERING EDUCATION
                           PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA
                               JULY 17-18, 1989

      The  SEI  Conference on Software Engineering Education is an annual
      conference  that  brings  together  educators  from   universities,
      industry  and government to discuss issues of mutual interest, with
      the goal of promoting educational  improvements  for  the  emerging
      discipline of software engineering.

      The  program  committee invites papers and proposals for panels and
      special sessions on ALL ASPECTS of SOFTWARE ENGINEERING  EDUCATION.
      We  are  interested in discussions of successful experiences at any
      level (industrial, undergraduate, graduate) and  on  any  pertinent
      topic.    We are particularly interested in papers and proposals in
      the following areas:

         - Industry Education Issues: How should in-house  education
           and  training  be  structured  to be most cost-effective?
           What is an effective mix of in-house, vendor, university,
           and  technology-based  education  and  training?  How can
           education and training be integrated with process  groups
           or other technology transfer mechanisms?

         - Teaching  Large Systems Issues: How can concepts of large
           software systems be taught within the constraints of  the
           educational  setting?    Can  the  objectives of reuse be
           extended from the level of algorithms and data structures
           to  the realm of large systems architectures?  How can we
           teach  the  team  cooperation  and  communication  skills
           required for building large systems?  How should we teach
           system integration testing?

         - Foundations for Software  Maintenance:  What  disciplines
           and  principles underlie the skills required for software
           understanding and modification?  How can these skills  be
           taught  and  their  importance  communicated early in the
           curriculum?

         - Teaching  Issues  of  Embedded  Systems:  What  are   the
           foundations   and   principles  of  embedded,  real-time,
           distributed, and concurrent systems?  How  can  these  be
           taught   in   a   personal   computer-based   educational
           environment?

      All papers will be refereed.  The proceedings will be published  by
      Springer-Verlag  in  its  Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.
      Authors should submit five copies of complete  papers  by  February
      10,  1989.   Notification of acceptance or rejection of papers will
      be sent March 10, 1989.   Final  versions  of  accepted  papers  in
      camera-ready form must be received by April 17, 1989.  Authors will
      be asked to sign a copyright release form.

      Papers, proposals and requests for additional information should be
      addressed to:

          Norman E. Gibbs                  ARPAnet:  gibbs@sei.cmu.edu
          CSEE Program Committee           Telephone:  (412) 268-7703
          Software Engineering Institute
          Carnegie Mellon University
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213

                            Program Committee

             Alan Adamson, IBM                     For the SEI:
             Jon Bentley, AT&T Bell Labs              Mark Ardis
             John Brackett, Boston University         Maribeth Carpenter
             Rick Cobello, General Electric           Lionel Deimel
             James Collofello, Arizona State          Charles Engle
             Richard Fairley, George Mason            Robert Firth
             Susan Gerhart, MCC                       Gary Ford
             Hassan Gomaa, George Mason               Norman Gibbs
             David Lamb, Queen's University           John Goodenough
             Dieter Rombach,  Maryland                Harvey Hallman
             Rebecca Smith, Hewlett-Packard           John Maher
             James Tomayko, Wichita State             Scott Stevens
             David Weiss, SPC                         Nelson Weidermann

      The  Software  Engineering  Institute  (SEI)  is a federally funded
      research  and  development  center  operated  by  Carnegie   Mellon
      University.  Part of its mission is to promote and support software
      engineering education throughout the educational community.

- ------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 89 17:18:03 GMT
From: mailrus!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!qucis!fokas@ohio-state.arpa  (Elias Fokas)
Subject: Network Definition Language

                                  Abstract

                         Network Definition Language (NDL)

The ever increasing complexity and popularity of computer networks
are a challenge to the network designer. Not only can he not afford
any compromise of quality, but also he is required to design and
maintain larger networks in less time.

Evidently, the use of an appropriate software tool will facilitate
the designer's job.

We think that the kernel of any such tool should consist of a means
to completely and explicitly define the network, i.e. a Network
Definition Language.

Conceptually, NDL will:

1. enforce user defined semantic and syntactic restrictions on the
structure of the network (i.e. a network may only contain previously
defined components which may be interconnected only in certain patterns).

2. introduce a user defined level of abstraction (i.e. the same network
might be "viewed" as a set of nodes and links or as a set of real life
components).

3. isolate network-related algorithms from the actual representation
and storage of the network in the computer's memory. Once the network
is defined, any algorithm can be applied to it.

4. link any network (or network component) to a user defined "data base"
(the term is used metaphorically), containing any information the user
deems relevant (i.e. anything from the price and availability of an
ethernet adaptor to the transmission characteristics (bps, distance,
reliabilty, cost per byte etc) of a physical medium) to that particular
network (or network component).

5. provide a means of embeding functional and non-quantifiable attributes
in the definition of a network (or its components). For instance, if a
node fails and this node happens to be the administrative mainframe
the damage is considerable; whereas, if this node is the fileserver
of the secretarial services LAN, the damage is not so severe.

Preliminary research on the subject is under way. However, we have not
yet found any referernce to the aforementioned concepts.

Ifyou have heard of anything, even vaguely, related to this subject or
have some comment or opinion, however general, please sent e-mail
to FOKAS@QUCIS or write to:

        Elias Fokas,
        Dept. of Computer and Information Science,
        Qeen's University,
        Kingston, Ontario
        Canada, K7L3N6

Areas related to this research include: Object-oriented languages,
hardware description languages, network design, software tools,
and expert systems.

End of Software Engineering Digest