[comp.software-eng] Definition of PARADIGM

knighton@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) (02/15/89)

In article <1812@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>** mild flames follow **
>
>I get tired of hearing phrases like, "type-latice reduced
>interior state polymorhism", to describe some kind of lookup table.
>And when they start renaming everything to make it sound like classical
>mathematics, with F-sub-alpha's and so forth, I tune out, even though
>[because?] my M.S. is in classical mathematics.

Yea and AMEN!!!  I still find his book hard to read after several attempts
with a dictionary by my side.  Yeesh!

>And it should be the law: If you use the word "paradigm" without
>knowing what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No
>exceptions. Grrrrrr.

Paradigm: (par-uh-dim, or par-uh-[dime]) 1.  EXAMPLE, PATTERN; esp.:
an OUTSTANDINGLY CLEAR or TYPICAL example or archtype.
[Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary page 853; 1st of two defs.]

so there, now we all should know the particular meaning that usage here
gives this $5.00 word.  :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)

>*****
>
>Ah! I feel much better now, thank you.

So do I, thank you very much!  CAIO!

-----
knighton@oswego.oswego.edu
rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!knighton

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (02/17/89)

#
#>And it should be the law: If you use the word "paradigm" without
#>knowing what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No
#>exceptions. Grrrrrr.
#
#Paradigm: (par-uh-dim, or par-uh-[dime]) 1.  EXAMPLE, PATTERN; esp.:
#an OUTSTANDINGLY CLEAR or TYPICAL example or archtype.
#[Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary page 853; 1st of two defs.]
#
#so there, now we all should know the particular meaning that usage here
#gives this $5.00 word.  :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)
#

Archtype???

You really mean that old paradiwhatever of structural engineering? :-)

Couldn't resist.  Add one jail vote.

torkil