[comp.software-eng] Cancellation of article

dhare%integral@Sun.COM (Dwight Hare) (03/01/89)

I am trying to cancel my posting of Bjarne Stroustrup's article.  I apologize
for any consternation caused.  As an excuse, I can only explain that I
thought that IEEE was the same as ACM in allowing articles to be copied.

jthomp@texsun.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson Sun Dallas SWAN Engineer) (03/01/89)

In article <91654@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>I am trying to cancel my posting of Bjarne Stroustrup's article.  I apologize
>for any consternation caused.  As an excuse, I can only explain that I
>thought that IEEE was the same as ACM in allowing articles to be copied.

In article <1989Feb28.172023.17877@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
[ Henry, is that C-news stuff/cruft for the art-id? -- jt]

>[news.admin cross-posting added -- this is important]
>
>In article <91533@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>>
>>I took this as an opportunity to play with my new OCR system.  I hope that
>>I'm not violating any netnews rules by posting a copyrighted article.

[(some of) Henry's commentary deleted.]

>ALL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS READING THIS:  ARTICLE <91533@sun.uucp> IS A
>MAJOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT THAT PUTS YOUR SITE IN DANGER.  I WOULD MOST
>STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU REMOVE IT AT ONCE.

I've sent out the cancel message for the article in question.
You can remove it by hand if you wish, but Dwight assures me
that he's contacted the copyright holder, who did not with to
initiate litigation.

Jim Thompson					 	jthomp@central.sun.com
"I woudn't recommend sex, drugs, or insanity 	 	Network Engineering
for everyone, but they've always worked for me."	Sun Microsystems
			-- Hunter S. Thompson

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (03/02/89)

In article <91654@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>I am trying to cancel my posting of Bjarne Stroustrup's article.  I apologize
>for any consternation caused.  As an excuse, I can only explain that I
>thought that IEEE was the same as ACM in allowing articles to be copied.

dwight, thanks for the fast action in response to what i believe was
an unintentional and certainly not malicious mistake.  i'm glad ieee
has decided not to pursue legal action.

but, ACM and IEEE have basically the same copying policies; you can copy
small numbers of the original article *with* the magazine identification
portions intact for research purposes, but you cannot distribute on a
large scale, and certainly not without copyrights indicated.

you are correct that the guy who requested it shouldn't have, and those
of us watching the net should have said something about it, but frankly,
i didn't think anybody who had the technology would go to all that trouble.

you are commended in your effort to help your fellow man, but next time
just pop a copy in the mail.

gerald
karam@sce.uucp
karam@sce.carleton.ca