[comp.software-eng] mail address updates

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (03/07/89)

From article <92538@sun.uucp>, by linden%adapt@Sun.COM (Peter van der Linden):
> I think it was time somebody pointed out
> that snippy requests to update mailer addresses really aren't
> of interest to most readers here.

   Perhaps you would like to e-mail a better procedure for
   reestablishing contact when e-mail addresses cease to operate...

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg) (03/07/89)

In article <4673@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From article <92538@sun.uucp>, by linden%adapt@Sun.COM (Peter van der Linden):
>> I think it was time somebody pointed out
>> that snippy requests to update mailer addresses really aren't
>> of interest to most readers here.
>
>   Perhaps you would like to e-mail a better procedure for
>   reestablishing contact when e-mail addresses cease to operate...
>
>   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

I repeat again what I have both published in the newsgroup/mailing list, and
sent you in private mail:

	GET HELP!

A recommended order of approaches:

	0) administrators of systems with which you are having difficulty
	   Generally there are aliases of the forms postmaster (postmast for
	   BITNET sites), liasion, root, action, usenet, etc. set up for
	   this purpose.
	1) your local systems administrator (which we must assume you are
	   not)
	2) other, net-knowledgeable, systems administrators at Clemson.
	3) me (via info-ada-request@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu, or any of the
	   addresses listed below).

NOTE: NOWHERE on this list is sending out messages to newsgroups/mailing
lists considered an appropriate procedure.

I hate it when I have to repeat myself, repeat myself, repeat myself.

-- Karl (Kan AI Really Learn? :-) ) --

Karl A. Nyberg          karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Grebyn Corporation                 karl%grebyn.com@haven.umd.edu
P. O. Box 497                         {decuac,haven}!grebyn!karl
Vienna, VA 22183-0497                               703-281-2194

Disclaimer?  I don't need no stinking disclaimer.  I own the company.

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (03/07/89)

From article <11850@grebyn.COM>, by karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg):
> I repeat again what I have both published in the newsgroup/mailing list, and
> sent you in private mail:
>
> 	0) administrators of systems with which you are having difficulty
> 	   Generally there are aliases of the forms postmaster (postmast for
> 	   BITNET sites), liasion, root, action, usenet, etc. set up for
> 	   this purpose.
> 	1) your local systems administrator (which we must assume you are
> 	   not)
> 	2) other, net-knowledgeable, systems administrators at Clemson.
> 	3) me (via info-ada-request@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu, or any of the
> 	   addresses listed below).
>
> NOTE: NOWHERE on this list is sending out messages to newsgroups/mailing
> lists considered an appropriate procedure.

     As mentioned via e-mail, I did not read your article regarding
     Info-Ada Administrivia because I do not utilize the Info-Ada system,
     and therefore was not aware of 3) until you sent e-mail.  We were
     discussing 3) via e-mail prior to you posting this article.

     Up until this article, neither you nor anyone else had mentioned 0);
     1) and 2) have already been tried without success: "You're on your
     own now, I've told you everything (nslookup) I know of".

     Routes 0) and 3) will now be utilized as primary address correction
     mechanisms, in that order.  I welcome constructive suggestions,
     sans the flamage & ad hominem attacks which have accompanied
     the ones you've given up to now.

     Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu
     comp.sw.components Mailing List administrator