[comp.software-eng] Begin voting period: comp.sw.components mailing list => newsgroup

wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) (03/29/89)

   In article <4775@hubcap.clemson.edu>, posted 14 Mar 89 18:56:01 GMT,
   discussion was called for regarding the conversion of the
   comp.sw.components mailing list to a newsgroup; the discussion period was
   scheduled to last until 14 April.  Since in the two weeks which followed
   there has been absolutely no discussion, the remainder of the scheduled
   discussion period is being cancelled in favor of an immediate vote.

   Presently, the mailing list contains 108 members, some of which
   (e.g., local-sw-components@machine) correspond to more than one user.

   The following is a description of the scope of the newsgroup, which
   has been taken from the mailing list's Welcome message:

 $ This newsgroup will facilitate discussions about software components
 $ and their design, implementation, and utilization.  It is probable that
 $ this will be mainly a group of professional component developers, people
 $ who are training to become such a professional, and/or people who have an
 $ interest in developing their own components from time to time.
 $
 $ As a "public service", we are also here to help and advise all component
 $ users who need advice, and to provide a forum for reviewing the software
 $ components provided by vendors.  We are also here to allow the people who
 $ developed any products which are criticized to show why perhaps the
 $ criticism may not be entirely justified, or to seek ideas regarding how
 $ the component(s) could be improved, and to provide a means by which new
 $ techniques can be spread throughout the component development community.
 $
 $ Also, questions such as "How can I handle problem X which arises when I
 $ try to implement component Y in language Z?" and "I have a nifty priority
 $ queue, and would like a B+ tree; anyone wanna trade?" are encouraged.

   E-mailed votes will be collected and counted until Friday, April 28,
   1989.  The call for votes may be repeated up to three times during
   the voting period.

   The votes will be counted on Saturday, April 29, 1989.  A summary
   of YES and NO voters will be posted with the same distribution
   as the calls for discussion and voting.  Unless the results
   do not give the YES votes at least a 100-vote margin of victory,
   a request for newsgroup creation will then be sent to Gene Spafford.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu
   comp.sw.components Mailing List administrator

I urge you all to vote NO on this proposal until there is some consensus
about the nature of the '.sw.' second-level group.

There is already a group waiting out there in limbo for such a level:
comp.sw-sys.andrew.

I think it's likely that such a level is desirable... but what name shall
it have?

	comp.sw.*
	comp.sw-sys.*

Or something else...

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (03/31/89)

From article <3626@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> I urge you all to vote NO on this proposal until there is some consensus
> about the nature of the '.sw.' second-level group.
>
> There is already a group waiting out there in limbo for such a level:
> comp.sw-sys.andrew.
>
> I think it's likely that such a level is desirable... but what name shall
> it have?
>
> 	comp.sw.*
> 	comp.sw-sys.*
>
> Or something else...

    Um, one question:

    Why wasn't this issue raised during the discussion period???????

    At any rate, assuming the proposal succeeds, you will have the
    new level desired, and can proceed with comp.sw.andrew, or
    perhaps comp.sw.sys.andrew if you like that better...

    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu
    comp.sw.components Mailing List administrator

    (I'm redirecting followups to news.groups...)