[comp.software-eng] Software Development Tools

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (04/06/89)

In article <328@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack Sessions) writes:
> As far as grep and awk are concerned, grep is handled by the DCL Command
> SEARCH. And the functionality of awk, though in no way similar, can be
> done with the optional layered product, Datatrieve.

VMS "search" is in no way as capable as UNIX "grep" -- search is fine for
really simple stuff, but grep also can handle sophisticated cases that
search can't cope with.

Datatrieve is similarly less capable than awk or nawk or gawk.

The best thing for VMS is to port the GNU tools over and run them
under VMS.

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (04/09/89)

rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM writes:
>VMS "search" is in no way as capable as UNIX "grep" -- search is fine for
>really simple stuff, but grep also can handle sophisticated cases that
>search can't cope with.

As already has been noted there are things that "grep" doesn't handle,
which SEARCH does. So depending on what you want, chose operating
system. "See, I want do this search today and get this output, that
means I work on Unix/VMS today". :-)
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
I used to say "It could have been worse, it could have been Pepsi",

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack Sessions) (04/10/89)

In article <1908@edison.GE.COM> rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM writes:
<In article <328@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack Sessions) writes:
<> As far as grep and awk are concerned, grep is handled by the DCL Command
<> SEARCH.

<VMS "search" is in no way as capable as UNIX "grep" -- search is fine for
<really simple stuff, but grep also can handle sophisticated cases that
<search can't cope with.

I am very familiar with SEARCH, and have read the manual page on grep
in preparation of porting it to OS9. I didn't see anything in grep that
SEARCH couldn't do. Did I miss something?

Zack Sessions

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (04/10/89)

>As already has been noted there are things that "grep" doesn't handle,
>which SEARCH does. So depending on what you want, chose operating
>system. "See, I want do this search today and get this output, that
>means I work on Unix/VMS today". :-)

Do'nt forget though that you can usually whip up some pipeline in a
unix shell that will do whatever search can do. VMS would be loads better
if it had a reasonable shell. I'm not even asking for sh or csh just
something besides DCL. Yes, I've seen the sh'ish shell that vms has
and it's fine as long as you run the N commands that it understands,
after that you are SOL.