[comp.software-eng] Object Oriented design - Books?

cweir@marlow.uucp (Charles Weir) (04/10/89)

Object oriented design seems to have major advantages for the design of
interactive user interfaces.

But compared with other techniques, it has one major flaw:  no
documentation.  Can anyone recommend a standard text on the subject?

Charles W
--
Charles Weir,   Reuters Limited,  85 Fleet Street,   London EC4P 4AJ
Tel: +44+1+324 6231

kathyi@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Kathy Iberle) (04/20/89)

If you get the name of one (other than Brad Cox's book) could you
please post it?  The last time I researched this subject, in fall
1987, no such book existed because the knowledge does not yet
exist.

The Adele Goldberg Smalltalk books and Brad Cox's book are both
good starters, but neither goes far enough for a large industrial
project.

Kathy Iberle

brooke@ingr.com (Brooke King) (04/25/89)

In article <1700001@hpmcaa.HP.COM> kathyi@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Kathy Iberle) writes:
| If you get the name of one (other than Brad Cox's book) could you
| please post it?  The last time I researched this subject, in fall
| 1987, no such book existed because the knowledge does not yet
| exist.

Object Oriented Programming:  An Evolutionary Approach
Brad J. Cox ISBN 0-201-10393-1

| The Adele Goldberg Smalltalk books and Brad Cox's book are both
| good starters, but neither goes far enough for a large industrial
| project.

Not having read it, I cannot comment on the Goldberg book, but
Brad Cox's book is a very good introduction to o-o programming.
It is also nice if you've been doing o-o programming for a while
(like I had) and would like a different perspective on the
concepts and design approaches.  To illustrate the practicality
of the book, let me say a friend of mine used some of the ideas
in the book to implement a decent C-based, o-o environment on his
Mac.

--

brooke@ingr.com uunet!ingr!brooke W+1 205 7727796 H+1 205 8950824

david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) (04/29/89)

In article <1700001@hpmcaa.HP.COM>, kathyi@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Kathy Iberle) writes:
> If you get the name of one (other than Brad Cox's book) could you
> please post it?  The last time I researched this subject, in fall
> 1987, no such book existed because the knowledge does not yet
> exist.
>
> The Adele Goldberg Smalltalk books and Brad Cox's book are both
> good starters, but neither goes far enough for a large industrial
> project.

Have you seen Bertrand Meyer's 534-page work "Object-
Oriented Software Construction"( Prentice-Hall, 1988) ? I recommend
it highly. Bertrand combines academic rigor with a keen ability to cut
through the bull so rampant in this profession. Part 1 of the book deals
with issues and principles. Part 2 gives concrete techniques of object-
oriented design. Though his own commercial language Eiffel is used
throughout , Part 3 discusses use of the techniques
in other environments. The treatment of program correctness is unique in being
more accessible and oriented toward practice than most treatments.
Actually, the historical notes and bibliography alone
are valuable, and may be an excellent starting point for your search.

Brad Cox's book was good for its day, but this book surpasses it in detail
and useful methods. Moreover, the book is constantly discussed in
comp.lang.eiffel, so the finer points get a real working over (with
Mr. Meyer himself often contributing to the discussion).
This book may be on its way to becoming a classic.

David Taylor