[comp.software-eng] Domain knowledge in system success

crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (04/30/89)

I've heard it said that the best predictor of eventual success in
building a large system is domain knowledge on the part of the designer,
i.e. tax preparation software is best designed by someone who knows
tax preapration well rather than someone who knows, say, human-interface
design well.

In fact, I've not only heard it said, but I've said it myself.  But
before I say it in an archival journal, I'd like to see if I can find
any good studies on it.  Does anyone know of a reference?

Thanks,

Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm)

stein@oscsuna.osc.edu (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) (04/30/89)

In article <14346@duke.cs.duke.edu> crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) writes:

>I've heard it said that the best predictor of eventual success in
>building a large system is domain knowledge on the part of the designer,
>i.e. tax preparation software is best designed by someone who knows
>tax preapration well rather than someone who knows, say, human-interface
>design well.
>
>I'd like to see if I can find any good studies on it.  Does anyone
>know of a reference?
The IEEE Tutorial "Software Reusability" by Peter Freeman is a good place
to start.  Plenty of work compiled on this issue.  In fact, a whole new
news group, comp.sw.components is being established to discuss software
components.  The domain analysis and engineering problem you are refering
to was first outlined by James Milne Neighbors in his thesis "Software
Construction Using Components" UC Irvine Tech Rpt. TR160, 1980.

The full reference for the IEEE pub is:

"Software Reuseability" by Peter Freeman, IEEE Computer Society Order
No. 750, IEEE Catalog No. EH0256-8, ISBN 0-8186-0750-5 IEEE Computer Society
Press.

>Thanks,
Your welcome.

--
Richard M. Stein (aka Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
Office of Research Computing @ The Ohio Supercomputer Center

goss@ese.essex.ac.uk (Gossain Sanjiv (5N.7.10)) (04/30/89)

In article <156@oscsuna.osc.edu> stein@oscsuna.osc.edu (Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
writes:

> The IEEE Tutorial "Software Reusability" by Peter Freeman is a good place
>to start.  Plenty of work compiled on this issue. .....
> [ more stuff]

> "Software Reuseability" by Peter Freeman, IEEE Computer Society Order
> No. 750, IEEE Catalog No. EH0256-8, ISBN 0-8186-0750-5 IEEE Computer Society
> Press

Does anyonme know how to get this in the UK?, or do I have to
go via the IEEE ?

Also,

> .....James Milne Neighbors in his thesis "Software
> Construction Using Components" UC Irvine Tech Rpt. TR160, 1980.

Is that a PhD thesis or an MS thesis ?
(I ask because only PhD theses are available here in UK).

- sanjiv

Sanjiv Gossain          | goss%ese.essex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept. of ESE            | goss%ese.essex.ac.uk@cunym.cuny.edu (from US)
University Of Essex     | Tel: +44 206 873333 Ext. 2820
Colchester CO4 3SQ
ENGLAND