[comp.software-eng] CASE Tools: References

sbaldwa@intel.com (Sanjay Baldwa ~) (04/29/89)

I am looking into different CASE Tools available in the market for PC as
well as mainframe environment. Does anybody already have a compiled list
of such tools?
If you are familiar with some CASE tool, could you mail me a
description of it, when is it most useful ? etc. If there is enough
interest then I will mail a summery on the net.
Is there any book/paper which does a comparative study of the existing
tools?
sanjay

msb@ho5cad (Mike Balenger) (05/03/89)

This book is an intro to CASE, a discussion of a few available tools,
and a list of the major CASE tool vendors.

cn 005.1/F533c
ti CASE : using software development tools / Alan S. Fisher.
au Fisher, Alan S.
pu New York : Wiley, c1988. xv, 287 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
no Includes index. Bibliography: p. 281-284.
su Computer software--Development.; Software engineering.; Computer
    programs--Design.
b-no 452490M  isbn 0-471-63747-5 (pbk.)  lccn 88-10142   oclc 17807437

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
                        Room 1L-405
msb@ho5cad.att.com      Crawfords Corner Road
att!ho5cad!msb          Holmdel, NJ   07733

david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) (05/05/89)

In article <SBALDWA.89Apr28120214@cad034.intel.com>, sbaldwa@intel.com (Sanjay Baldwa ~) writes:
> I am looking into different CASE Tools available in the market for PC as
> well as mainframe environment. Does anybody already have a compiled list
> of such tools?
>
> Is there any book/paper which does a comparative study of the existing
> tools?

This response is posted because the e-mail reply bounced.

In the 4/89 issue of IEEE Computer, there is a review of a book called
"CASE: Using Software Development Tools" that the reviewer feels "offers
a highly readable but somewhat shallow overview of the most popular
commercial CASE tools [10] and their methodologies...It targets practicing
software engineers and managers who need a quick overview of the subject
but are not willing to thoroughly investigate it." It's by Alan S. Fisher
(John Wiley, NY, 1988, 287 pp, $24.95).
In that same issue, under "New Literature" is a blurb for "CASE Analyst
Workbenches: A Detailed Product Evaluation". It is said to "provide
guidelines on choosing, implementing, and using analyst workbenches to
maximum advantage. It reviews 66 workbenches and includes tables
highlighting the available features and conventions." It's by
Rosemary Rock-Evans (2 volumes, 780 pp, #550). Contact Ovum Ltd.,
7 Rathbone St., London W1P 1AF, England.

good luck