[net.micro] Commodore Plus/4

madd@bucsb.UUCP (madd (Madd(ly) lost in the Net....)) (04/10/86)

In message <3184@ut-ngp.UUCP>werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

> an *UNNAMED* company ["Urban General" mentioned later] is pushing
> [a Commodore Plus/4] for $88 (latest price), including software
> (WordProcessor, DataBase, Graphics, and something else).  Also a
> Commodore-801 printer for $88 (50cps).  1-800-548-7000 - but its mostly
> busy ... ah, yes, no C.O.D. ...

> I can't help the feeling that this might be some kind of ripoff, giving
> a strangly shaped door-stopper the title "computer"
                (.. text deleted ..)

Good idea asking.  The commodore Plus/4 computer was an extension of
the ever-popular (ie cheap) commodore 64.  However, it is NOT compatible,
which means you can't run anything but the most simple BASIC programs on
either machine interchangeably.

The programs it comes with are built-in and can be accessed when you turn
on the machine.  They are useable, but reviews I read said they weren't
too likeable.  I would tend to agree, since wordprocessors are tough to
work with in 80 columns.

There are almost no other software programs besides games that are avail-
able for this machine.  And even those that ARE available are hard to
find.  Further, there will be little or no support from Commodore.

Still sound like a deal?  I don't think so.  Sinclair owners had the
same problem (compounded by a TERRIBLE keyboard).  While there are periferals
available (from Commodore, however long that lasts) they don't tend to
be too useful, and there is still the lack of software.

About the printer:  Commodore makes several varieties.  Unless I am way
off, this printer is their cheapest one.  Which means:
  * Boringly slow (yes, 50cps is very slow)
  * Next to unreadable

I don't recommend the printer, either.  There are a lot of third-party
printers out there that are very good, providing the cable is the same
as on the 64 (I think it is).

In short, this is not a deal.  A better deal would be to walk/drive/fly
to K-Mart/Sears/whatever and buy a 64.  This is far from a great computer,
but there are so many users that you are guaranteed software and support
for years to come.  There are limitations (slow disk drive, relatively,
40 column text [you can get 80 column, however], nonstandard keyboard
[pretty close, though]) but overall it is almost as cheap as the ad-
vertised one and far better in terms of support.  Again, there are a
lot of printers available.

Note:  I was a long-time 64 owner.  Never had any problems with it and
       software was incredibly easy to find.  Not a very good word-
       processing computer, but there are public domain programs avail-
       able that take most of the sting out.  And there are FANTASTIC
       games if you want them....

: Jim Frost                     : "You just gotta smile through it"        :
:                               : "The Earth is just too small and fragile :
: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd   : a basket for mankind to keep all of its  :
: cscc71c%bostonu.bitnet@wiscvm : eggs in."--Robert A. Heinlein            :
: USnail:  75 Washington St     : "What the hell, put 'em all in one       :
:          Laconia, NH  03246   : basket"--Me                              :