[comp.software-eng] Quoting others

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (05/18/89)

In article <1700003@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> Kathy Iberle quotes me:

>> The engineering methods are even less likely to learned from inspection.
>> One can more easily copy the products and even some of the methods of an
>> engineer than one can learn the thinking behind them.  As a result, those
>> who learn solely by inspection suffer from an inflexibility, as they cannot
>> adapt either the products or the methods to new situations.

I tried to reply to you by mail, but it bounced.  Please, when you quote
anybody, leave the source in.  Even though your response to what I said was
negative, I would prefer to be named.  The nature of the group is that
these things get picked up and spread for awhile as points/counterpoints and
to omit the attributions makes it confusing.

Like the movie stars say, I don't care if they print gossip as long as they
spell my name right!

Rich
Ideas have consequences.                                    RSD@sei.cmu.edu
Richard Weaver

cline@sunshine.ece.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (05/25/89)

In article <3371@ae.sei.cmu.edu> rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:

>In article <1700003@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> Kathy Iberle quotes me:
>>> The engineering methods are even less likely to learned from inspection....

>I tried to reply to you by mail, but it bounced.  Please, when you quote
>anybody, leave the source in........
>Like the movie stars say, I don't care if they print gossip as long as they
>spell my name right!
>Rich

Where're the names of those movie stars?
<tee hee hee>
Marshall

	Marshall P. Cline	ARPA:	cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
	ECE Department		UseNet:	uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!cline
	Clarkson University	BitNet:	BH0W@CLUTX
	Potsdam, NY  13676	AT&T:	(315) 268-6591