[comp.software-eng] Merise and other such methods...

prea@poseidon.axion.bt.co.uk (Paul Rea) (05/18/89)

Hello World,

does anyone out there in netland know anything about Merise. I think it is a
system development technique.

Is it a notatition?

Is it a method?

How is it used to development of systems?

Has anyone had any practical experience of it?

Are there any references to it?

Who developed it?

Why was it developed?

Are there any support tools?

etc, etc, etc....

If you are still awake could you either mail me at the address given below
or post details to the net.

Thanks

P.A.R

E-Mail		: prea@axion.bt.co.uk
Organisation	: British Telecom Research Laboratories (RT3123)
Snail Mail	: BTRL, Rm 23 SSTF, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE, UK
Telephone	: +44 473 645104
Quote		: "Wot, no quote!"

winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) (05/22/89)

In article <1602@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> prea@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>Hello World,
>
>does anyone out there in netland know anything about Merise. I think it is a
>system development technique.
>Is it a notatition?
>Is it a method?
>How is it used to development of systems?
>Has anyone had any practical experience of it?
>Are there any references to it?
>Who developed it?
>Why was it developed?
>Are there any support tools?
>etc, etc, etc....

MERISE is an information system design and development methodology.
It supports the four stages of information system development and
uses several perspectives. It combines an ER approach for data and
a Petri net based approach for processes. I have several references
(articles, books, etc.) and will post them to the net if anyone is
interested. At our university there is also some experience in using
the methodology.

It originated from Sema-matra in France and Gamma International, also
in France. I think there are support tools available, and i can check
if you are interested.

Alexander Verbraeck                            e-mail:
Delft University of Technology                 winfave@hdetud1.bitnet
Department of Information Systems              winfave@dutrun.uucp
PO Box 356, 2600 AJ  The Netherlands

render@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/24/89)

Written  6:31 am  May 22, 1989 by winfave@dutrun.UUCP:
>MERISE is an information system design and development methodology.
>It supports the four stages of information system development and
>uses several perspectives. It combines an ER approach for data and
>a Petri net based approach for processes. I have several references
>(articles, books, etc.) and will post them to the net if anyone is
>interested. At our university there is also some experience in using
>the methodology.

I would like to see the information.  Please post it or e-mail me a copy.
Thanks.

Hal Render
Dept. of Computer Science
e-mail: render@cs.uiuc.edu | uiucdcs!render

weh@sei.cmu.edu (Bill Hefley) (05/26/89)

In article <727@dutrun.UUCP> winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) writes:

>MERISE is an information system design and development methodology.
>It supports the four stages of information system development and
>uses several perspectives. It combines an ER approach for data and
>a Petri net based approach for processes. I have several references
>(articles, books, etc.) and will post them to the net if anyone is
>interested. At our university there is also some experience in using
>the methodology.

IMHO it would be beneficial if you could post the references.

   ____    ______   _____      _____=====        Bill Hefley
  / __ \  | _____| |_   _|   _____=========	 Software Engrg Institute
 _\___ \  |  __|     | | _____=================  Pittsburgh, PA 15213
 | |__| | | |____   _| |_  _____=============	 (412) 268-7793
  \____/  |______| |_____|   _____=========	 ARPA:   weh@sei.cmu.edu
			       -----=====        BITNET: weh%sei.cmu.edu
                                                 CSNET:  weh%sei.cmu.edu@
                                                         relay.cs.net
 C a r n e g i e   M e l l o n  U n i v e r s i t y

+---------------------------- Disclaimer -------------------------------+
|  The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                        those of my employer.                          |

winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) (06/01/89)

Several people asked for the Merise references. It took some time to
look them up, but here they are.

Rochfeld, A. and H. Tardieu, MERISE: An information system design
and development methodology. In: Information and Management 6, 1983.

Tardieu, H., A. Rochfeld, and R. Colletti, La Methode MERISE: principes
et outils, Editions d'organisation, Paris, 1983.

Tardieu, H., A. Rochfeld, R. Colletti, G. Panet and G. Vahee, La
Methode MERISE: demarche et pratiques, Editions d'organisation, Paris,
1985.

The last two books are very useful when using Merise. They are, however,
in French. It is possible that Merise is discussed in several conference
proceedings. If I find more references, i'll post them.

There were some questions on support tools for MERISE. Some of the well-
known techniques are supported by -for instance- Excelerator. The
PACBASE tool supports a large part of the MERISE life-cycle.

due@iesd.dk (Jan Michael Due) (06/04/89)

In article <39400022@m.cs.uiuc.edu> render@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Written  6:31 am  May 22, 1989 by winfave@dutrun.UUCP:
>>MERISE is an information system design and development methodology.
>>It supports the four stages of information system development and
>>uses several perspectives. It combines an ER approach for data and
>>a Petri net based approach for processes. I have several references
>>(articles, books, etc.) and will post them to the net if anyone is
>>interested. At our university there is also some experience in using
>>the methodology.
>
>I would like to see the information.  Please post it or e-mail me a copy.
>Thanks.
>
>Hal Render

I like to see it to, as I have studied the PCTE project this semester,
and maybe will continue along these lines after sommer holliday.