[comp.software-eng] Looking for CVS info

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (06/25/89)

Thanks to a recent message in comp.software-eng, I've picked up CVS
(concurrent versions system) from the comp.sources.unix archives,
volume 14.

(For the unaware, this is a front-end to RCS which simplifies source
code control for multi-programmer software projects.)

Since the date on the in the sources is 1986, I thought I'd check for
bug fixes, updates, or new versions which might be around for this
package.  Unfortunately, the path given in the original message
(seismo!mcvax!vu44!dick) to reach the author is no longer valid.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone (by email) who can provide some
information on the present status of CVS or how to reach the author,
who in 1986 was given as:
	Dick Grune
	Vrije Universiteit
	Amsterdam

Thanks in advance.
Dave
--
David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet

erikb@cs.vu.nl (Erik Baalbergen) (06/26/89)

Dick Grune's email address is dick@cs.vu.nl.

>I would appreciate hearing from anyone (by email) who can provide some
>information on the present status of CVS or how to reach the author,
CVS is currently being used successfully to maintain the ACK (Amsterdam
Compiler Kit) sources and various other programming projects.
CVS has recently been extended in that it keeps track of versions of
configurations.  Each configuration (i.e. consistent set of RCS-controlled
files) that has been committed in the past can be identified and restored.
For CVS insiders: SV records are maintained automatically.

Here's a short summary taken from CVS' page for those who don't know about CVS:
	CVS (Concurrent Versions System) is a front end for RCS;
	it supports the concurrent use of independent versions
	of an RCS directory.  The original files of a project reside in an RCS
	directory, called the repository.  Each participant can work on his
	own copy at his convenience since it is totally his; the Update Version
	(UV) command will merge updates to the repository into his files
	without disturbing his own modifications; he can merge his own
	modifications back into the repository using Commit (CM).
	Concurrency conflicts, which thurn out to be rare anyway, are
	almost always detected.  The repository is protected by
	multi-reader single-writer locks.

Erik Baalbergen
--
Erik H. Baalbergen				    <erikb@cs.vu.nl>
Vrije Universiteit / Dept. of Maths. & Comp. Sc.