[net.micro] anyone interface a color X-Y CRT ??

jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (04/01/86)

[verry intelesting!!  verry zilogesting!]

In my surplus catalogs, I see a
19 inch high resolution color X-Y display (Wells Gardner)
separate R,G,B amps
X horizontal 16 V P-P signal, 0.05 inches/usec
Y vertical   12 V P-P signal, 0.0375 inch/usec
Z beam        4 V max brightness, 1.0 V black

	Has anyone used these for anything?
I think they're used in the Star Wars arcade game (I can tell by the
vector graphics).

			Jeff 'almost an EE' Skot
			{ihnp4 | allegra | cbosgd} attunix ! jeffj

In article <195@sfsup.UUCP> jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) writes:
>19 inch high resolution color X-Y display (Wells Gardner)
>separate R,G,B amps
>X horizontal 16 V P-P signal, 0.05 inches/usec
>Y vertical   12 V P-P signal, 0.0375 inch/usec
>Z beam        4 V max brightness, 1.0 V black
>
>	Has anyone used these for anything?

I've used a monochrome (green) one for output displays.  The color,
I guess, can be used to give an added dimension to the display: you
can perceive where 3 different signals have varying intensities in
the field.  Although, having 5 different dimensions (XYRGB), you'd
have to be very careful in your display design.

Off an analog computer, you can make your X, Y, R-Z, G-Z, B-Z (I
assume, although X and Y could also be separate for each colour, I
guess, leaving you to make sure that they track) each be driven off
an individual amp/limiter, +/- the appropriate voltage.  Off a
digital computer, you'll need a set of digital-to-analog converters
of whatever fineness and range you want, though you'll prob'ly want
to put an amp/limiter on the output of them, too.  Your applications
are only as limited as your imagination.  Just be a little tasteful,
please, it's easy to get carried away by the technical wonder of it
all.	;-)
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}