[comp.software-eng] "Negative Profile"

sundar@mipos2.intel.com (Sundar Iyengar~) (07/27/89)

For lack of a better terminology, by "negative profile", I refer to
those parts of a program that are NOT touched by current set of
inputs.  A profiler traces the execution flow of a program.  Could some
one please point me to techniques for tracing parts of the program that
are NOT being exercised?

Thanks.  Please e-mail your responses.  I don't subscribe to
comp.software-eng.  If there is enough interest, I will post a summary.

Sundar Iyengar                      Microprocessor Design

UUCP:  intelca!mipos3!mipos2!sundar Intel, SC4-59
ARPA:  sundar@mipos2.intel.com      2625, Walsh Avenue
CSNET: sundar@mipos2.intel.com      Santa Clara, CA 95051
AT&T:  O: (408) 765-5206

pgh@stl.stc.co.uk (Peter Hamer) (07/31/89)

In article <562@mipos3.intel.com> sundar@mipos2.intel.com (Sundar Iyengar~) writes:
>For lack of a better terminology, by "negative profile", I refer to
>those parts of a program that are NOT touched by current set of
>inputs.

The -tcov option on cc might help you.

Follow on questions -

 1) Does anybody use -tcov regularly?