[comp.software-eng] Heard of CCC?

tmh@well.UUCP (Todd M. Hoff) (07/25/89)

Much discussion has flowed about project control mechanisms like
SCCS, RCS, and NSE. There is another product called Change Configuration
Control (CCC) from a company called Softool Corporation, that I'd like
to get opinions about.

I'm doing a reveiw of CCC for Unix Review, so any information on CCC is
greatly appreciated. I haven't looked at CCC yet, but they claim to be
"...complete integrated environment offering comprehensive change
control, complete configuration management, and project control."
Any opinions in support? Any to the contrary?

In addition, I'd like to get opinions on what test cases and criteria
to use in evaluating CCC. What problems do people find particularly
vexing? What would it take for you to switch away from SCCS and RCS to
CCC? What features must such a system have? What features shouldn't
it have?

With many thanx in advance,

tmh@well

steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) (07/27/89)

In article <12852@well.UUCP>, tmh@well.UUCP (Todd M. Hoff) writes:

> In addition, I'd like to get opinions on what test cases and criteria
> to use in evaluating CCC. What problems do people find particularly
> vexing?

From my point of view the most important thing a software configuration
system or integrated development tool should have; is support for
developing applications in a *heterogeneous environment*.

> What would it take for you to switch away from SCCS and RCS to
> CCC? What features must such a system have? What features shouldn't
> it have?

This does not necessarily mean that you must switch away from SCCS or
RCS.  We have just finished developing our own SCM which may be used for
several types of machines. We use ORACLE to store all sorts of
information relating to the projects, systems and modules being
developed, SCCS is used only to store the deltas (differences ) for each
module.

--
Steinar Overbeck Cook, Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 80 80                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10

charliek@madmax.UUCP (Charlie Krasic) (08/01/89)

In article <472@fdmetd.uucp> steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) writes:
>In article <12852@well.UUCP>, tmh@well.UUCP (Todd M. Hoff) writes:

>> In addition, I'd like to get opinions on what test cases and criteria
>> to use in evaluating CCC. What problems do people find particularly
>> vexing?

>From my point of view the most important thing a software configuration
>system or integrated development tool should have; is support for
>developing applications in a *heterogeneous environment*.

I guess I'm uninformed, but what do you mean by *heterogenous environment*?

>> What would it take for you to switch away from SCCS and RCS to
>> CCC? What features must such a system have? What features shouldn't
>> it have?

>This does not necessarily mean that you must switch away from SCCS or
>RCS.  We have just finished developing our own SCM which may be used for
>several types of machines. We use ORACLE to store all sorts of
>information relating to the projects, systems and modules being
>developed, SCCS is used only to store the deltas (differences ) for each
>module.

>Steinar Overbeck Cook, Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY

It seems that it is fairly common practice to graft a new 'front-end'
onto an existing system in order to expand the functionality and/or
provide greater ease of use.  Many systems are too inadequate
on their own (e.g. RCS, SCCS).  This is especially true for larger projects.
I have experience with CCC, and it is definitely no exception to this rule.

I would like to hear from someone who has had success using an
existing product 'as-is', i.e. more or less on its own with no special
modifications.  Is there anyone who knows of a product that fits this description?

--
Charlie Krasic  3755 Riverside Dr.  VOICE: (613) 738-1338 ext.5157
Cognos, Inc     P.O. Box 9707       FAX: (613) 738-0002

steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) (08/03/89)

In article <6701@madmax.UUCP> charliek@cognos.UUCP (Charlie Krasic) writes:
>In article <472@fdmetd.uucp> steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) writes:
>

>>From my point of view the most important thing a software configuration
>>system or integrated development tool should have; is support for
>>developing applications in a *heterogeneous environment*.
>
>I guess I'm uninformed, but what do you mean by *heterogenous environment*?

An environment where development is carried out on several different types
of machines. I.e. development of applications where one part of the
system runs on a PC and another part runs on a UNIX-box. At our company
we have several banking applications which are split between WS-300 (nGen from
Convergent) and TMX (awfull operating system from NCR).

The problem with a lot of the the SCM's I've read about, is that they
expect you to have only one sort of machinery. I.e. all machines must
run UNIX and use TCP/IP to communicate.