[comp.software-eng] Health and light

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/08/89)

I believe this quote is from Dave Ritchie (ritchie@hp-lsd.HP.COM):

>> This is what I think is important.  I think there have been
>> studies (apart from those done in the computer field) about
>> natural light simulation and its importance to many people.

A good introduction to this subject is _Health_and_Light_ by
John N. Ott (Pocket, 1973).  I understand Ott has at least
one more recent book out, but I haven't been able to find it
(anyone seen this?).

In my opinion, what Ott has to say is especially important
to people who work with computers, since our work is
indoors and often during the night.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from

markf@amc-gw.UUCP (Mark Freeman) (08/09/89)

In article <3065@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
> I believe this quote is from Dave Ritchie (ritchie@hp-lsd.HP.COM):
>
> >> This is what I think is important.  I think there have been
> >> studies (apart from those done in the computer field) about
> >> natural light simulation and its importance to many people.
>
> A good introduction to this subject is _Health_and_Light_ by
> John N. Ott (Pocket, 1973).

Ott's assertions about our need for natural light, and especially ultraviolet,
are certainly interesting.  However, much of his evidence to support his
theory (at least in 1987, when I did a little research on the subject) is
anecdotal.  At the time, no scientific experiments with humans were reported.
As I recall, Ott got into this line of research through his work with time-
exposure nature photography.

Still, his conclusions may be correct; I am not yet convinced.

--
				Mark S. Freeman
				Applied Microsystems Corp.

john@nmtsun.nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/10/89)

Mark Freeman (markf@amc-gw.UUCP) writes:
+--
| Ott's assertions about our need for natural light, and
| especially ultraviolet, are certainly interesting.
| However, much of his evidence to support his theory
| (at least in 1987, when I did a little research on the
| subject) is anecdotal.  At the time, no scientific
| experiments with humans were reported.
| ...Still, his conclusions may be correct; I am not
| yet convinced.
+--

Thank you for being open-minded about it, and I appreciate
your skepticism.  I'm not convinced, and I believe further
research is needed.  Ever since my college course in
experimental psychology, I tend to ignore claims of
scientific veracity until and unless I have looked at the
experimental design.

I am aware of one well-designed, controlled experiment
involving mice.  A population of cancer-prone mice was
divided into one group that lived under full-spectrum light,
and groups that lived under various colors of fluorescent
lights.  There was a significant increase in longevity for
the full-spectrum group.

Given the estimate that one out of four people alive today
will die of cancer (and they say AIDS is an epidemic!), I
found this result quite interesting.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtsun!john  CSNET: john@nmtsun.nmt.edu ``A lesson from
past over-machined societies...the devices themselves condition the users to
employ each other the way they employ machines.'' --Frank Herbert

jan@Arezzo.orc.olivetti.com (Jan Parcel) (08/10/89)

It has been known for years that light affects the metabolism of vertebrates.

In the last couple of years, the San Jose Mercury has run several stories to
the effect that:

Research has been going on in Oregon and Norway regarding full-spectrum
light and:

1. seasonal depression, and

2. miscarriages (some vertebrates won't reproduce unless there is a good food
   supply, which they decide based on the number of hours of sunlight per day).

Most incandescent lights tell us it is winter and we are seeing by firelight,
and, at some latitudes, there isn't enough food so it's time to pseudohibernate.
To convince us it is spring, summer, or fall, we need some blue bordering on
ultraviolet.  This appears to vary considerably among individuals.  So far,
both men and women have been shown to be affected, but more women than men.
The effect of poor lighting is to change (I forget how) the blood's levels
of ??melatonin??.   I forget how to spell it.  Anyway, current treatment is
with full-spectrum lights but they may come out with a pill of melatonin for
those affected, and it may also be used for jet lag.

A Dr. Lewy in Portland, Ore. has been cited as one of the leaders in this
area, and I have heard the National Institute of Health now carries
information on this, but I haven't confirmed it.