[comp.software-eng] Experiences with Hungarian Naming Conventions

neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) (08/15/89)

may be aware or may use the convention they are not aquainted with the term
Hungarian Notation, so I though a clarification was in order.

The convention was adopted by Microsoft (for OS/2 and Windows) and has been
used in some object-oriented languages (e.g. Smalltalk/V).  Examples of
identifiers defined through this convention might be:

            pchindex : a pointer to a character
            hrgnpasteWindow : handle for a region
            pvblock : pointer to void
            DxFromWnd(pwnd) - function providing window width
            InitCa(pca) - initializes (sets) a character value
            OnError - label to jump to on error

My original exposure to this was from a Microsoft OS/2 course.  They provided
us with a copy of an article outlining the convention and its benefits.  I've
also seen a two or three page desciption of the convention in the Windows SDK
manuals.

If anyone has any articles on the subject I would appreciate if you could send
me a copy (mail or email).  I would especially be interested in obtaining a
copy of Charles Simonyi's Meta-Programming thesis.

Thanks in advance.
  E&M Waterloo, NCR Canada Ltd, 580 Weber St. N., Waterloo, Ont. N2J 4G5
  N.Law@Waterloo.NCR.COM                  uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwat!swdev!neil

steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) (08/18/89)

In article <974@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) writes:

>If anyone has any articles on the subject I would appreciate if you could send
>me a copy (mail or email).  I would especially be interested in obtaining a
>copy of Charles Simonyi's Meta-Programming thesis.

There is an article on this subject in PC MAGAZINE, march 14th. 1989,
page 329, written by Charles Petzold. It is titled 'Speaking the
language of the PM API'.

By the way, you should talk to your colleagues at E&M (or is it S&E) in
Columbia, SC. They use Hungarian notation when they program the WS-300,
or more commonly known as the nGen from Convergent Technologies.

I didn't like the Hungarian notation in the start, but after a while I
realized it was much easier to maintain code written with the Hungarian
notation.

--
Steinar Overbeck Cook, Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 80 80                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10