[comp.software-eng] Project Planning Packages under *nix, anyone?

clay@uci.UUCP (News Administrator) (08/19/89)

Anybody seen any project management software (source, preferably) for UNIX?
The PCs and Macs all have a bunch -- Micro Planner, MS Project, Harvard PM, etc.

Seems strange that I haven't seen one in this environment.

--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (08/22/89)

>Anybody seen any project management software (source, preferably) for UNIX?
>The PCs and Macs all have a bunch -- Micro Planner, MS Project, ....

There are several available; I have been evaluating Unix-Based project
management systems for HP this summer, and I will post a short summery here
when I complete it.   For now, if you want and inexpensive, easy to use
system with some limits on functionality try MasterPlan from Unipress;  If
you are working on large projects, need multi-user support ( record/activity
level locking), X-windows support, and all of the fuctionality that you
could ever need :-) take a look at TRACKSTAR from T&B computing.

More Later...MITCH

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (08/23/89)

In article <104090003@hpcvlx.HP.COM> mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) writes:
>>Anybody seen any project management software (source, preferably) for UNIX?
>>The PCs and Macs all have a bunch -- Micro Planner, MS Project, ....

Well, I've used MacProject II quite a bit and find it adequate for
about 75% of most project work.  I have not used the new version much,
but know that it incorporates a lot more smarts, particularly with
resources, than MacProject II 1.0.  Its basic operation is for the
user to define a dependency graph for the project tasks (hierarchical
tasks are supported), plus resources, durations for the tasks.  You
can also do some noting of resource allocation (e.g. Bob can work on
this 25% of his time) and even provide some measure of how effective
a resource really is.  You also get some rudimentary cost and task
progress management and some basic smarts like resource levelling.

The one thing I really would like to see is overall estimations of
progress, value-added, and budgetary projections based on the other
two.  I am forced to use a spreadsheet to fill in that blank.
(MacProject II can dump the required information to an ASCII file)

It is also the cheapest, if I recall correctly, of its middle to
high-end competitors.

Hope this helps some.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414