[comp.software-eng] IDE User Help

cberg@leadsv.UUCP (Charles R Berg) (08/29/89)

We are becoming a rather large user of IDE's StP here, and I am looking for
other users with whom to trade useful in-house developed utilities.  The IDE
User Group is supposed to be setting up a 'user network', but in the meantime
maybe this forum can be used to get something started.

I'm heading a group of 10 people (only 5 on board so far) reverse-engineering
750,000 lines of code on 17 processors, and am chartered to produce 22 volumes
of CPCI specifications (of our own format) averaging about 1,000 pages each.
I have 12 months to accomplish this task.

We are working on a couple of things that I'm willing to trade for what I
hope someone out there might be working on.  First of all, we're about 60%
complete with a utility to read c-source code and produce structure charts
annotated with data/control flows, as well as global and external data
references, library procedure references, and source file names.

We are also working on a utility to convert state transition diagrams into
state transition tables, so that balancing can take place.  And, we are
working on a utility to produce a data structure diagram defining the
events and actions on a state transition diagram.

Finally, I have a beta copy of 4.2, and am actively excercising the FrameMaker
interface.  I have developed some techniques, not yet implemented in code, that
enable description fields produced in the annotation editor to make full use of
the Maker Markup Language.

What I hope someone is working on is a utility to generate dictionary
objects corresponding to entities on a *.pct drawing.  If so, I am extremely
interested, since that is another objective I must achieve, and at this time,
don't know how I'm going to accomplish it.

One last thing I'm looking for is people.  Happen to know anyone interested in
helping with the above tasks (using the tools as well as implementing them)?
Contractors/consultants happily accepted.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Chuck Berg
pyramid!leadsv!cberg

andrea@eric.mpr.ca (Jennitta Andrea) (09/06/89)

in Article <7540@leadsv.UUCP> (Charles R Berg) writes:
>We are becoming a rather large user of IDE's StP here, and I am looking for
>other users with whom to trade useful in-house developed utilities.

Various techniques/tools are being developed at MPR to support our
behavior modelling efforts using IDE's StP tool and the development
of an executable process specification language that interfaces
with the StP tool.

We have constructed the following IDE-specific utilities which we
would be willing to trade:

* A set of utilities was developed to facilitate
  access to information contained within a StP project database from across
  a network (StP located on an Apollo; local machine is a Vax). These
  utilities provide the following functions:

  1) extract a named transform (process) specification from an IDE data flow
     diagram (*.dfe) stored on a remote file system (Apollo),
     saving it in a file stored on the local file system (Vax).

  2) enter a named transform (process) specification to an IDE data flow
     diagram (*.dfe) stored on a remote file system (Apollo)
     from a file stored on the local file system (Vax).

  3) extract a named data structure specification from an IDE data flow
     diagram (*.dse) stored on a remote file system (Apollo),
     and saves it in a file stored on the local file system (Vax).

  4) enter a named data structure specification to an IDE data flow
     diagram (*.dse) stored on a remote file system (Apollo)
     from a file stored on the local file system (Vax).

  ( NOTE that these utilities also work on the local machine).

* We have also developed (in C) an command line interface to an
  STP Version 4.1 project database, providing access to a pre-defined
  set of high level commands (which is very extensible to accommodate new
  commands).  The OML interpreter behaves like the Troll command
  line interface.

* A remote OML Interface Library has been developed (in C) which
  allows interaction with an OML interpreter running on the Apollo
  network from a process on the Vax network.  This interface also
  works on the local machine).

* Other miscellaneous utilities include: extensive support for troff
  generation of models; utilities to generate only the changed
  diagrams in a model; a mechanism to annotate tspecs with fixed id's;
  etc.

We are interested in obtaining a utility which will generate the
network layer of a Data Flow Diagram System (ie. trace through
all offpage connectors to their source to provide direct
connectivity information for the lowest level transforms).

We would also be interested in obtaining a utility which will
provide the correct interpretation of a Yourdon/Demarco
State Transition Diagram.  In version 4.1 of StP it is not possible
to generate  Data Dictionary information for a State Transition Diagram
with multiple actions associated with an event (the data base
relation STP_TRANSITION has a composite key consisting of 'fr_state:tr_event').

Jennitta Andrea
Microtel Pacific Research
8999 Nelson Way
Burnaby BC