[comp.software-eng] Regression testing tools

hughes@math.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes) (09/08/89)

I am looking for some regression testing tools for testing an
interactive program under MSDOS.  I have come across the product line
from Software Research, which includes CAPBACK, SMARTS, and EXDIFF.
Does anybody have any experience with with these specific products, or
any others?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep7.172348.19480@agate.uucp>, hughes@math.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes) writes:
> I am looking for some regression testing tools for testing an
> interactive program under MS-DOS.

Atron (the people who make hardware debugging aids for PC's) have
something called the Atron Evaluator.  It's a board you plug into your
PC, that can "learn" keystrokes, mouse actions, etc.  You can edit the
resulting scripts, then play them back over and over again.  The
advantage is supposed to be that the board is "non-intrusive", and
takes a lot less memory than software-only products that do the same
thing.

The board and software run $5000 (U.S.) for "a one time only site
license . . . All additional systems to existing site license" is
another $2500 (U.S.)  Does that mean that the software is $2500 and the
hardware is $2500?  I dunno.

Atron is a division of Cadre Technologies Inc., Saratoga Office Center,
12950 Saratoga Ave., Saratoga, CA  95070, 800-283-5933, 408-253-5933.
(That last phone number may be for the specific salesperson I was
dealing with.)

Disclaimer:  I'm not even a customer, satisfied or otherwise; I just
did some research into this product.

> Eric Hughes, hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.