[comp.software-eng] complete reference on experiment design

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/11/89)

I was asked by quite a few people for a compelte reference:

%A Donald T. Campbell
%A Julian C. Stanley
%T Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Research
%I Rand-McNally
%C Chicago
%D 1963

I recommend this book for several reasons over larger more elaborate
books on experiment design:
1) It's about the size of Kernighan and Plauger's Elements of Programming
Style (about 1/3 of an inch thick).
2) It's cheap (like K&P), mine was $3.00.  Anyone can blow this amount
of money if you don't like it.
3) It's easy to read, fairly simple logic without lots of numbers of
statistics unlike other books.  It takes the tack: "Where is my
work invalid?"  What can invalidate my work?
4) It uses a simple notation to convey the above.
%) It's been around quite some time.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/12/89)

In article <5345@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:

>I recommend this book for several reasons over larger more elaborate
>books on experiment design:

I apparently  missed the beginning  of this thread.   Does  it concern
experiments as they relate to testing?

If not, I would  be interested to hear  about any reference people may
have that discuss formulating  testing  strategies  based on   program
structure.  The real concern is to  find  an "easy"  way for people to
construct test  suites that  "cover"  their code  without exhaustively
checking every input value - I refer to something  like Taguchi's work
on designed experiments.

Help is appreciated.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201