[comp.software-eng] math software

agc@briar.philips.com (Aldo G. Cugnini;6080;2.08d;$0205) (11/07/89)

Has anyone used software similar to MathCad on other than a PC?
(MathCad is a PC package which, for example, performs calculations,
does array math such as FFT's, and has graphics (2- and 3-D) capabilities.)
I have used it in the past on a PC, but don't have access to one now.
I understand ILB is available on workstations, but I don't need anything
that powerful, and am already comfortable with MathCad.  I'd like to have
these capabilities on VMS or UNIX.  Any suggestions?

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/07/89)

In article <67496@philabs.Philips.Com> agc@briar.philips.com (Aldo G. Cugnini;6080;2.08d;$0205) writes:
>Has anyone used software similar to MathCad on other than a PC?
>(MathCad is a PC package which, for example, performs calculations,
>does array math such as FFT's, and has graphics (2- and 3-D) capabilities.)
>I have used it in the past on a PC, but don't have access to one now.
>I understand ILB is available on workstations, but I don't need anything
>that powerful, and am already comfortable with MathCad.  I'd like to have
>these capabilities on VMS or UNIX.  Any suggestions?

Yeah, try Mathematica. It is the  Cadillac of math-processing programs
today.   Full symbolic manipulation,    numeric, plotting, the  works.
Supports a nice notebook for organizing your stuff.

Currently it runs on Sun  and Mac and  a coupla  others.   Retails for
$795.

	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@gemed.ge.com
     "Your logic was impeccable Captain. We are in grave danger."