[comp.software-eng] computer science, et.al.

gray@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Cary G. Gray) (11/14/89)

Part of this discussion is degenerating into the longstanding argument
over what "computer science" is.  Unfortunately, that term is terribly
overloaded.

I strongly urge those involved in the "is-not" "is-to" argument to carefully
read "Computing as a Discipline", the report of the ACM Task Force on the
Core of Computer Science.  (Abridged versions appeared in the Jan 89 CACM
and the Feb 89 Computer.)  An outstanding feature of the report is the
choice of terminology:  not that "computing", not "computer science",
appears in the title.  Within the broad area of computing, there is science,
and there is also engineering.  There are also applications that are neither
science nor engineering; e.g., much of what is done in commercial information
systems.

I'm aware of three different things people mean when they say "computer
science":
  - anything done with a computer
  - "what I do"
  - the science of computation
Only the last is accurate (unless you are, say, Don Knuth, in which the
second would also be correct most of the time).

We need to be more careful in our use of language in order to avoid this
confusion.  My personal strategy is to avoid "computer science" whenever
possible:  I will usually choose "computing" or "computation" for the
general sense, and "science of computation" for the narrow.

Now, regarding education:  there isn't one right answer here.  We need both
computing scientists and computing engineers.  A single course of study is
not right for both.

	Cary Gray
	gray@cs.stanford.edu

mjl@cs.rit.edu (11/15/89)

In article <1989Nov13.212400.9168@Neon.Stanford.EDU> gray@cs.Stanford.EDU (Cary G. Gray) writes:
>I'm aware of three different things people mean when they say "computer
>science":
>  - anything done with a computer
>  - "what I do"
>  - the science of computation
>Only the last is accurate (unless you are, say, Don Knuth, in which the
>second would also be correct most of the time).

I assume the times when this doesn't apply to Knuth are when he's
concentrating on the "art" of computation, right? :-)

Mike Lutz

Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{rutgers,cornell}!rochester!rit!mjl
INTERNET:	mjlics@ultb.isc.rit.edu