[net.micro] Wordstar & Directories

stever@tektronix.UUCP (02/13/86)

There are several utilities on the market that will define
paths for non-.EXE, -.COM, and -.BAT files.

One such program is Filepath which I am perfectly happy with.
It works in much the same manner as the DOS path command.

It allows one to have directories for each category of Wordstar
files that you desire.  You can then store all the Wordstar
program files in a single directory.

It even helps for other programs that do support pathnames in as
much as it will search any directory that is defined in the
filepath command line for a file name where the path has not been
given to the program.

It can be acquired from SDA Associates
                        P.O. Box 36152
                        San Jose, CA  95158
                         (408) 281-7747

for $24.50 + $2.00 handling for version 2.0

or

for $34.50 + $2.00 handling for version 3.0

    which adds 'wildcard' characters in directory names
    and some other features

Filepath and WS-DOS have kept me loyal to WS.  Now if the
WS could only keep up with my mouse....

story@calma.UUCP (Glen Story) (02/14/86)

In article <6544@tektronix.UUCP> stever@tektronix.UUCP writes:
>Filepath and WS-DOS have kept me loyal to WS.  Now if the
>WS could only keep up with my mouse....

You described Filepath in your article, but what is WS-DOS?

Glenn Story
calma!story@ucbvax.ARPA
{ucbvax,sun,csd-gould}!calma!story

stever@tektronix.UUCP (Steven D. Rogers) (04/17/86)

Wordstar will not work by itself to find text (or its own
overlay files) in other than the directory it resides in.

However, there are several relatively cheap utilities on
the market that allow you to use Wordstar (and other programs)
from another directory.  These softwares still do not enable
Wordstar to handle pathnames, however it is much more effective
to work from directory containing the text files.

These utilities work in the same manner as the DOS command
path.  Path only works with .BAT, .EXE, and .COM files.

The utility I use is called FilePath by SDA Associates,
P.O. Box 36152, San Jose, CA 95158, 408 281 7747.  It
works great.  I don't know the names of the other ones or
how well they work.

I would think there would be a public domain version of
this utility by now.