nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/15/89)

<34796@regenmeister.uucp> <2226@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
<128179@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> <546@sagpd1.UUCP> <4727@netcom.UUCP>
<4290@pegasus.ATT.COM> <9185@hoptoad.uucp> <600@fred.UUCP> <MEISSNER.89Dec14094015@tiktok.rtp.dg.com> and thousands of others.....

>(insn 7 6 8 (set (reg:SI 2)
>       (symbol_ref:SI ("*@LC0"))) 89 (nil)
>   (nil)
>   (nil))

I seem to recall that this whole discussion started a couple of weeks
ago when somebody asked about sharing local declarations between
functions (I'm not even sure it was related to C). Rather than a
discussion about language features, semantics, transformations, or
anything like this, it was quickly turned into a flame war about C
linkers (complete with assembly code).
   Is it any wonder that the state of software development is so poor
when discussions of languages, abstraction and programming
methodologies are seen as equivalent to arguments about how linkers
work for C under Unix?
   I rest my case.
   Where did I leave my asbestos jacket?

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick