[comp.software-eng] TAKING DESIGN SERIOUSLY: EXPLORING TECHNIQUES USEFUL IN HCI DESIGN

armstron@bmers11 (Steve Armstrong) (12/05/89)

                      Call for Participation

                        CHI'90 Workshop on

TAKING DESIGN SERIOUSLY: EXPLORING TECHNIQUES USEFUL IN HCI DESIGN

     A limited attendance, invitational workshop on techniques for
improving HCI Design is being organized for the CHI'90 conference
in Seattle.  The workshop will be held on Sunday, April 1, 1990.
The primary goal of the workshop is to bring together individuals
who feel that they have developed or used techniques which have
proven useful in producing quality systems.  The workshop is
particularly aimed at discussing techniques for encouraging a
user-centered focus in the design of complex software systems.

     Design of useful and usable computer systems is a complex
activity involving many decisions on many levels, ranging from
questions of what function to include in the system to details of
how to present output.  This is a problem solving activity
(generally done by a group) requiring consideration of a number of
views of the objectives.  While there has been a great deal of
research conducted in the field of Human-Computer Interaction, it
is not clear what the impact of this work has been on supporting
actual design practice.  There seems to be a shared notion that
'things could be better', but little agreement on how to proceed.
This workshop is intended to bring together individuals who feel
that they have thoughts or experiences to share that may
contribute to improvements in actual design practice.

     The focus of the workshop will be on the complete design
process, with particular attention to the earliest stages of
design.  Of particular interest is how current software
engineering practice may (or may not) adequately describe
techniques for maintaining a sufficient user-centered focus.
Contributions may focus on individual techniques or tools found
useful (e.g., techniques for task and requirements analysis, tools
for rapid prototyping, ways to support group problem solving in
design, use of theoretical models, or techniques for user
involvement in design), but should also consider the design
process in-the-large (i.e., how the technique fits into the group
and organizational work activity of designing a system).

     The workshop will include brief presentations by each of the
participants, followed by a discussion within the group and an
attempt to develop a report outlining a 'Program to improve HCI
design practice'.  Producing the outline report will serve to
focus the activity of the workshop, and provide a summary to the
SIGCHI community.

     Individuals interested in participation are requested to
submit four copies of a position paper outlining their views on a
technique useful in the design process.  This paper should be a
brief summary of no more than three pages in length.

Participants will be charged a $25 workshop fee to help defray the costs
associated with coffee breaks and A/V equipment.

Approximately 20 participants will be selected from those
submitting position papers, based on quality of papers received.
Please send position papers along with a brief statement of your
background to:

  John Karat
  User Interface Institute
  IBM Watson Research Center
  Box 704
  Yorktown Heights, NY, 10598
  (914) 789-7832, jkarat@ibm.com

     Papers must be received by February 6, 1990.  Invited
participants will be notified by February 19, 1990.  Copies of
accepted position papers, along with a workshop agenda will be
mailed to participants by February 26, 1990.
--
Good health is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (12/06/89)

I can't take it seriously if I don't know what it is.

What's an HCI?

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (12/06/89)

From djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones):
> I can't take it seriously if I don't know what it is.
>
> What's an HCI?

   HCI stands for Human-Computer Interaction, I believe.

   There is an ACM SIG on the topic (Special Interest
   Group on Computer and Human Interaction), SIGCHI.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (12/22/89)

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) writes:

>From djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones):
>   There is an ACM SIG on the topic (Special Interest
>   Group on Computer and Human Interaction), SIGCHI.

Unfortunately the ACM SIG can often be less than useful.  I would have
sworn that last April's SIGCHI journal was an April-fool's joke except
for the size of the document -- nobody spends that much money on an
April-fool's joke.

If you have the resources, I recommend finding that issue.  It's worth
its weight in comedians.

jim frost
madd@std.com

[I mean no offense to SIGCHI members, I'm merely stating my
observations.]