[comp.software-eng] "Scandinavian Beta.."

nsd@nike (Nicholas S. Damaskinos) (02/03/90)

I am looking for any references about the work done by a Scandinavian team
on Beta(?). This work is based on object based cohesion.
I apologize for the vagueness of my posting, but these are just the
only clues I've got at this point. I have been unable to locate any articles
on this work. Any clues or leads will be greatly appreciated.

You can respond over the net or email me.
Thanks in advance.

--
Nikos Damaskinos
Wayne State University, Detroit.

render@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) (02/03/90)

nsd@nike (Nicholas S. Damaskinos) writes:

>I am looking for any references about the work done by a Scandinavian team
>on Beta(?). This work is based on object based cohesion.
>I apologize for the vagueness of my posting, but these are just the
>only clues I've got at this point. I have been unable to locate any articles
>on this work. Any clues or leads will be greatly appreciated.

Try the following:

    Bent Bruun Kristensen, Ole Lehrmann Madsen, Birger Moeller-Pedersen,
    and Kristen Nygaard", "The {BETA} Programming Language," in _Research
    Directions in Object-Oriented Programming_, ed. Bruce Shriver and Peter
    Wegner, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1987, pages 7-48.

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (02/05/90)

In article <1990Feb2.231126.411@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> render@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) writes:
>nsd@nike (Nicholas S. Damaskinos) writes:
>
>>I am looking for any references about the work done by a Scandinavian team
>>on Beta(?). This work is based on object based cohesion.
>
>Try the following:
>
>    Bent Bruun Kristensen, Ole Lehrmann Madsen, Birger Moeller-Pedersen,

There have been articles about Beta itself or principles connected with it
in several conferences, including ECOOP'87 (proceedings: Springer LNCS 276),
ECOOP'88 (LNCS 322), OOPSLA'89 (ACM SIGPLAN). Beta is an object-oriented
language that can be seen as a kind of successor to Simula - its design
team has some members that were already key people in the original Simula
design. There is also a Scandinavian project called Mjolner ('o' with
diagonal stroke) that is developing programming environments for Beta
and other OOPL's.

I cannot imagine what you mean by 'object based cohesion'.

For more direct information, you could try to ask e.g. Ole Lehrmann Madsen
at Aarhus University, Denmark: olm@daimi.dk  .

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland