[comp.software-eng] Currency Quotes

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (03/04/90)

> From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>> your original complaint about
>> units(1), which must have embarassed you horribly when you found out
>> about floating (gasp!) currency exchange rates.
>
>    [I replied:]  Right.  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
>    44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
>    the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?

   Oh, by the way, Bob, you'll be pleased to know that Reuters (which
   supplies the Nightly Business Report with its market data, including
   currency quotes) is delivering that market data using Ada software...
   the introduction of Ada technology into Reuters was described at the
   ACM SIGAda Tri-Ada '88 conference.  Sorry you missed it!!!

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (03/04/90)

In article <8224@hubcap.clemson.edu>,
2847 ) writes:
> > From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
> >> your original complaint about
> >> units(1), which must have embarassed you horribly when you found out
> >> about floating (gasp!) currency exchange rates.
> >
> >    [I replied:]  Right.  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
> >    44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
> >    the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?
>
>    Oh, by the way, Bob, you'll be pleased to know that Reuters (which
>    supplies the Nightly Business Report with its market data, including
>    currency quotes) is delivering that market data using Ada software...
>    the introduction of Ada technology into Reuters was described at the
>    ACM SIGAda Tri-Ada '88 conference.  Sorry you missed it!!!

Say what?

I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
conclusion if you must....

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (03/05/90)

From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
> I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
> its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
> updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
> the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
> a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
> conclusion if you must....

   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
   approach to the reliability of the output.

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

raymond@rosarita.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (03/05/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf@hazel.cs.clemson.edu writes:
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section,

Okay, part of the problem is not realizing that the BUGS section
of a man page is misnamed.

	The BUGS section is also somewhat misnamed.  Defects reported
	here aren't so much bugs as shortcomings---simple bugs should
	be fixed before the command in installed.

				-Kernighan and Pike
				 "The UNIX Programming Environment"
				 p. 311

It really should be called "POTENTIALLY PROBLEM-CAUSING BEHAVIOR".  So
defects in the specification or any behavior which someone might
possibly think is a bug (even if it isn't) go into the BUGS section.
For example, the sentence

	The precedence rules are somewhat nonintuitive.

belongs in the BUGS section even though it isn't a bug.

marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com (03/05/90)

In article <8224@hubcap.clemson.edu>, billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) writes...
>> From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>>> your original complaint about
>>> units(1), which must have embarassed you horribly when you found out
>>> about floating (gasp!) currency exchange rates.
>>
>>    [I replied:]  Right.  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
>>    44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
>>    the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?
>
>   Oh, by the way, Bob, you'll be pleased to know that Reuters (which
>   supplies the Nightly Business Report with its market data, including
>   currency quotes) is delivering that market data using Ada software...
>   the introduction of Ada technology into Reuters was described at the
>   ACM SIGAda Tri-Ada '88 conference.  Sorry you missed it!!!

Oh for crying out loud.  Can we lay all this spooge to rest once and for all
and get on with some *INTERESTING* SOFTWARE ENGINEERING discussions?
All this childish "You jabbed me, so I'll jab you" stuff is
getting old.

How about some clever ideas on how to reduce the bug rate in C code?
(I mentioned C specifically ONLY because I use it and have an interest in
quality improvement ideas directly related to it.  NOT as an indication
of the superiority/inferiority of C to other languages.)
I'm thinking of things along the lines of a suggestion posted recently
which utilized the preprocessor.  We already know about reviews, SA/SD, etc.

	Randy Marks
(UUCP)	                {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!ssdevo.enet!marks
(INTERNET)              marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com
(domain-based INTERNET) marks%ssdevo.enet@decwrl.dec.com
"Proper technique will get you through times of no strength better than
strength will get you through times of bad technique."
	-- Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

mfriedma@oracle.com (Michael Friedman) (03/05/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>> I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
>> its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
>> updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
>> the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
>> a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
>> conclusion if you must....

>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.

I disagree.

On point A you are technically correct - the possibly unreliable
nature of the rates is part of the spec.  On the other hand, from the
point of view of producing good results, that note is in exactly the
right place.

It isn't as important with something like Units that has a 2 page man
entry, but say we have something like csh.  I'm not going to read
through a hundred pages looking for caveats and warnings.  I want them
in one simple clear easy to use location - the Bugs section.  One of
the most important things about documentation is to make it useful to
the reader.  That's a lot more important than placing everything
exactly where it belongs according to some static criteria.

On point B I again disagree.

Irresponsible is when someone does something careless or possibly
damaging.  For example, it would be irresponsible to use Units in a
financial application without reading the Bugs section.

Flippant comments in documentation are more evidence that people
aren't overly worreid about frightening away customers, probably
because most customers don't read UNIX man pages.

A flippant approach to reliability is bad.  Why are jokes about
reliability bad?
--
The passing of Marxism-Leninism first from China and then from the
Soviet Union will mean its death as a living ideology ... .  For while

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/05/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) writes:
>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.

a) Yes, it's part of the specs, but it can't hurt to keep the user
   informed, can it? The user might not realize that using a static
   database has this effect.
b) Nonsense. What would *you* have done? You might not like an
   occasional humorous remark, but calling it irresponsible is plain
   silly.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?  A: One day at a time.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/05/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>> I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
>> its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
>> updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
>> the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
>> a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
>> conclusion if you must....
>
>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.
>

>   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

Where do you work?  In a monastary?  Lighten up will ya.  Just because
someone is aware of the limitations of their program doesn't mean they
have to hold a funeral over it.  Besides the comment "Don't base your
financial plans on the output" doesn't sound all that flippant.  I would
take that admonition to heart if I was making multi-currency decisions.

Sheesh!  Someone give the guy a black armband while the rest of us get
back to the party.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

grimlok@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy) (03/05/90)

From article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ):
> From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>> I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
>> its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
>> updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
>> the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
>> a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
>> conclusion if you must....
>
>    No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>    toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>    financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>    a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>    of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>    section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>    approach to the reliability of the output.

Re: point a)
  I don't recall ever having read the specification to units...has anyone
  else? I'd rather have some sort of statement in the documentation
   (on-line or otherwise) that the user would commanly have access to
  rather than some (possibly) non-existent specification documentation
  that users won't usually be provided with.
Re: point b)
  irresponsible and flippant are relative terms which are a matter of opinion.
  If its your opinion that the aforementioned comments are flippant, well
  that's your opinion.  I tend to get bored wading through bland documentation
  written by software engineers and technical writers.  The interjection of
  some light-heartedness is hardly a crime, particularly when the software
  is not related to the safety of anyone.

C is not the problem here.  Any language can produce horrible constructions
and programs.  Any programmer can produce comments and documentation which
does not meet Bill Wolfe's stringent requirements, daresay that no one but
Bill can meet Bill's requirements, since apparently what Bill wants is
perfection in all its boring splendor.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/05/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.

This is pretty silly.

Do Ada fans ever strike you-all as just a teeny bit defensive? :-)

If the original poster wants a serious discussion, then some heavy duty
definition of terms (starting with what's a "C community") is in order.
But something tells me that's not quite what's going on here... maybe we
should all just smile and say, "Very good Bill!" and move on to the
next thing.
--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (03/06/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.

No, it is a programmer's realistic attitute towards the limitations of an
often-useful program. It has nothing to do with the so-called C Community.
But wait !!! You exist on this network precisely because of other programs
of the type you criticise. Or maybe... you are a badly written program
yourself !!! :-) A PC program called "racter" has better conversational
skills than you do.

Did you ever post onto the net under the name "Ken Arndt" ??? [Sorry Ken !]

oz
--
There are two kinds of fool.   	       	           Internet:  oz@nexus.yorku.ca
One says, "This is old, and therefore good"        Uucp:  uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

jnixon@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (John F Nixon) (03/06/90)

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) writes:

>  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
>  44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
>  the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?

(I know this has nothing to do with C, or software engineering...)

Gee, sounds like you are really pushing it; either you are making extremely
risky decisions with your retirement money (not very smart), or you made a
bad career choice when you decided to work with computers.  Warren Buffet
will need a successor one day... :-) :-)

(ok, ok, I'll learn...)

----
jnixon@atl.ge.com                    ...steinmetz!atl.decnet!jnxion

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/06/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
>   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
>   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
>   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
>   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.

Why don't we ALL chip in and buy Bill a nice thesaurus, so he can come up
with synonyms for "cavalier", "flippant", "irresponsible", and "inappropriate"?
Each of these words, all very subjective opinions, has permeated most of his
postings so far...and seem to form the backbone of his argument.  Maybe we
could also pay for him to take a course in discussion which relies on facts and
logical debate rather than repetitive babble, as well.

(Let's see...how many synonyms for "bore" can we find...)

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

shaw@paralogics.UUCP (Guy Shaw) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar4.213359.14687@agate.berkeley.edu>, raymond@rosarita.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) writes:

> 	The BUGS section is also somewhat misnamed.  Defects reported
> 	here aren't so much bugs as shortcomings
[...]
> It really should be called "POTENTIALLY PROBLEM-CAUSING BEHAVIOR".

Some flavors of UNIX(TM) come with separate CAVEATS and BUGS sections in the
commands reference manual.  Interactive does this.  At least they used to long
ago; I don't know if they still do.  I wish this were a more common practice.
--
Guy Shaw
Paralogics

shaw@paralogics.UUCP (Guy Shaw) (03/07/90)

Mr. Wolf's posting about "the C community's cavalier attitude toward software
reliability" encompassed enough subject matter that it was bound to generate
many threads about various aspects (sort of like sitcom spin-offs).  In this
article, I address only the issue of the appropriateness of lumping all manner
of shortcomings into the BUGS section of a reference manual.

In article <1990Mar4.235537.3757@oracle.com>, mfriedma@oracle.com (Michael Friedman) writes:
> In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
> >   No, it was an example of the C community's cavalier attitude
> >   toward software reliability.  The comment "Don't base your
> >   financial plans on the output", or words to that effect, were
> >   a) inappropriate, since the static nature of the rates is part
> >   of the specification and should not be listed in the defects section
> >                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   [...]
>
> I disagree.
>
> On point A you are technically correct - the possibly unreliable
> nature of the rates is part of the spec.  On the other hand, from the
> point of view of producing good results, that note is in exactly the
> right place.
[...]
> entry, but say we have something like csh.  I'm not going to read
> through a hundred pages looking for caveats and warnings.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                                            I want them
> in one simple clear easy to use location - the Bugs section. [...]

Yes, Mr. Wolf has a point and so does Mr. Friedman, but there are more
possibilities than just the two extremes of  a) lumping things in the BUGS
section and b) distributing caveats throughout the reference manual.
To be fair, Mr. Wolf did not offer (b) as the only alternative.  In fact,
he said nothing more specific about how he would organize a reference manual.
Mr. Friedman's reaction is very understandable, though, because caveats
sprinkled throughout the reference manual, where each subject naturally arises,
*is* the alternative style that actually occurs in AT&T UNIX reference manuals.
And, like diseases of the lymphatic system, it is nearly impossible to treat
with surgery.

The approach of having separate CAVEATS and BUGS sections solves the problem
of where to put limitations, shortcomings, non-intuitive behavior, etc. without
calling it all BUGS, and still lists them in one easy to find place.
It is more precise.  Nothing else is sacrificed for the the gain in precision.
This is more than just armchair reference manual designing.   I have used
slightly non-standard (improved!) UNIXoid manuals that do it this way.
It works for me.  I wish it were more common practice.  To the reference manual
designers at AT&T: try it, you'll like it.
--
Guy Shaw
Paralogics
paralogics!shaw@uunet.uu.net  or  uunet!paralogics!shaw

I've also seen the BUGS section labelled WARNINGS, thus avoiding complaints
by the overly literal-minded.

This is not a C issue. Please direct followups elsewhere.

Side comment, how about a comp.unix.misc?
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

hstroma@hubcap.clemson.edu (hepburn m stroman) (03/08/90)

From article <8224@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ):
>> From goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
>>> your original complaint about
>>> units(1), which must have embarassed you horribly when you found out
>>> about floating (gasp!) currency exchange rates.
>>
>>    [I replied:]  Right.  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
>>    44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
>>    the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?
>
>    Oh, by the way, Bob, you'll be pleased to know that Reuters (which
>    supplies the Nightly Business Report with its market data, including
>    currency quotes) is delivering that market data using Ada software...
>    the introduction of Ada technology into Reuters was described at the
>    ACM SIGAda Tri-Ada '88 conference.  Sorry you missed it!!!

Is that all that relevant?  Software is written in a variety of
for a variety of reasons.  Reuters chose Ada. So what?  It could have
been a choice based on convenience, or government requirement (which
seems to be the big reason for using Ada).  If your comment is intended
to show Ada is supeior because a _real_ product uses it, then perhaps I
should list the hundreds (thousands?) of commercial products that use C
(or cobol or fortran).  Many applications were and are being developed
in them.  Since more programs are written in C, I suppose your logic
must lead to the concluion C is superior (after all, more real software
is written in it)

Oh, and about your IRA.  I'm impressed, but it is irrelevant to your
point in your original post (namely, that units() was an example of bad
C coding practice.) As a software engineer, you
really should have researched  units() and discovered the use of a data
file before your initial posting. Also, to add validity to your original
point, it would have been nice to see some proof that the few programs
described were C-language products.

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (03/10/90)

In article <8229@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>   section, and b) irresponsible, since it indicates a flippant
>   approach to the reliability of the output.
Bill (mind if I call you Bill?) is complaining that we are "irresponsible"
because we have a "flippant approach to the reliability of the output."
I guess he would like all software people to wear ties and not have sense
of humor.  Maybe we should all get MBA's while we are at it.  Hey,
lets all take up COBAL, there is no way in h*ll that you can have
a flippant approach to ANYTHING in COBAL :-)

-- sanders                The 11th commandment: "Thou shalt use lint"
For every message of the day, a new improved message will arise to overcome it.