[comp.software-eng] Inappropiate "BUGS" Sections

Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com (03/07/90)

I agree with Bill Wolfe about the quoted statements in the "BUGS"
sections of the man pages.  Try to pretend you are a manager is
a customer shop who is looking at the man pages before investing
your company's money in Unix based systems.  While I like humor,
these sections are very poor customer relations.  The C/Unix community
is not alone in making this mistake but that is not a reason to
continue making mistakes or refrain from correcting past mistakes
where possible.

Not looking at documents from the customer perspective is one of
the marks of engineers.  We all need to improve in this area.

				Jerome Vollborn
				(Jerome_Vollborn@cup.portal.com or
				 uunet!lci386!jerome)

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/12/90)

In article <27625@cup.portal.com> Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com writes:

>I agree with Bill Wolfe about the quoted statements in the "BUGS"
>sections of the man pages.  Try to pretend you are a manager is
>a customer shop who is looking at the man pages before investing
>your company's money in Unix based systems.

You forgot the smiley.  A manager looking at man pages before buying
UNIX!  HAHAHAHAHAHA.

> While I like humor,
Yah, it shows.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.