[comp.software-eng] "software engineering" vs. "programming"

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (04/11/90)

  Some how I alwys prefered the title Craftsman.  However in the ever present
upity world of business this is no longer considered professional enough.
I think however that the title I have is the best all around cop out and that
is Project Engineer.  could be hardware or software either way it says
engineer on my label.  In my eyes I am a craftsman with a whole world full of
tools and I use and discard them as the situation requires.  The key is
knowing what to throw away and when.  I almost never argue engineering
religion (ie language preference) with anyone.  I have been sneered at for
learning FORTH and PASCAL and even LISP but they have all gotten me a job and
a good deal of respect with or with out a fancy title.  If you are good at
something do it and don't stop to try and tell the naked savages that the
language the are using is obviously wrong or whatever they'll find it out
and get the job done despite what you tell them.  And yes I know punctuation
is a tool I seem to have discarded.  Thanks for listening
Scott

--
Scott Beckstead      | Sew Crates was a grate greek.
CIS 76106,3720       |     Dang that one got right by the spelling checker

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr10.201117.9557@wilbur.uucp> scott@wilbur.UUCP (Scott Beckstead) writes:

>  Some how I alwys prefered the title Craftsman.  However in the ever present
>upity world of business this is no longer considered professional enough.

Yay!! Somebody that understands.  A few weeks ago I posted a similar sentiment
that somehow got cross-posted to unix.wizards, and it raised all kinds of argument
for a week or two over there.

I am taking a course now in Software Engineering, and our professor loves to
tell stories about the problems that have come from faulty software.  The more
you work, the more you realize the importance of doing a craftsman job.

>I think however that the title I have is the best all around cop out and that
>is Project Engineer.  could be hardware or software either way it says
>engineer on my label.  In my eyes I am a craftsman with a whole world full of
>tools and I use and discard them as the situation requires.  The key is
>knowing what to throw away and when.  I almost never argue engineering
>religion (ie language preference) with anyone.  I have been sneered at for
>learning FORTH and PASCAL and even LISP but they have all gotten me a job and
>a good deal of respect with or with out a fancy title.  If you are good at
>something do it and don't stop to try and tell the naked savages that the
>language the are using is obviously wrong or whatever they'll find it out
>and get the job done despite what you tell them.  And yes I know punctuation
>is a tool I seem to have discarded.  Thanks for listening

I am relatively new to the net, and I have to admit I sometimes give in to the
temptation of arguing about such "issues".

While we are on the subject, I just have come to understand the meaning of
program testing.  A program is fully tested when you can't delete any of the
source code, compile it, and still have it pass your tests.
--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

davep@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Parks) (04/13/90)

>  Some how I alwys prefered the title Craftsman.  However in the ever present
>upity world of business this is no longer considered professional enough.

This is unfortunate because a Craftsperson is capable of working with
speed and precision, which is close to the aims of software engineering.
Brooks celebrates "craft" in The Mythical Man Month.  Craft is a great
metaphor with powerful appeal to history and art.

--David Parks
davep@hpvcfs1.hp.com