[comp.software-eng] Wanted: OBJ[2|3] references

ziegler@bs1.ifistg.uucp (Bernhard Ziegler) (06/29/90)

From ifistg!bs1!ziegler Fri Jun 29 15:02:43 MET DST 1990
Article 2070 of comp.software-eng:
>From: ziegler@bs1.ifistg.uucp (Bernhard Ziegler)
Newsgroups: comp.software-eng
Subject: wanted: OBJ references
Date: 27 Jun 90 13:00:29 GMT
Sender: news@ifistg.uucp

Could someone please mail references on the
OBJ software engineering environment? The OBJ
was pioneered at UCLA in the late seventies,
so we are told. What is the current status of the
project? In particular, does there exist public
domain or licensed versions of OBJ2 / OBJ3 op-
erable under SUN-OS and HP-UX respectively?
Any hints are greatly appreciated.

B. Ziegler   ziegler@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
H. Schlebbe  heribert@sbu.ufrgs.anrs.br

baxter@zola.ics.uci.edu (Ira Baxter) (06/30/90)

In <3119@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> ziegler@bs1.ifistg.uucp (Bernhard Ziegler) writes:

>Could someone please mail references on the
>OBJ software engineering environment? The OBJ
>was pioneered at UCLA in the late seventies,
>so we are told. What is the current status of the
>project? In particular, does there exist public
>domain or licensed versions of OBJ2 / OBJ3 op-
>erable under SUN-OS and HP-UX respectively?
>Any hints are greatly appreciated.

An implementation of OBJ3 is available from SRI.  It cost us about $250.00,
and runs under SUN/OS in Common LISP (we used Austin/Kyoto Common Lisp).
Contact the address in the reference below.

@techreport(Goguen88a:OBJ3-manual,
  author     = "Joseph. A. Goguen and Timothy Winkler",
  title      = "{Introducing OBJ3}",
  institution= "SRI International and University of Edinburgh",
  number     = "SRI-CSL-88-9",
  month      = aug,
  year       = 1988,
  note       = "SRI International. Computer Science Laboratory, 333
		Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493 (415) 859-5924",
  annotation = {Describes the OBJ3 specification definition and
		execution system (this is an implementation of an
		advanced version of CLEAR or LIL).   OBJ3 is an algebraic
		specification language, allowing algebra
		specifications to be defined as primitives using SORTS
		and SUBSORTS, OPERATION definition, and conditional
		EQUATIONS. Algebras specified are the initial algebras
		represented by the specs.  Parameterized
		specifications can be defined, with THEORIES defining
		necessary properties of parameters, and VIEWS describing
		how other algebraic specs match the parameters.
		Well written introduction to how to use OBJ3; rather too quick
                if you want to understand {\it why} use OBJ3.
                Several good examples of usage. Lotsa references in the back.

})

--
Ira Baxter