[comp.software-eng] Query on Software Development Tools

wags@cimage.com (Bill Wagner/1000000) (07/02/90)

I have been asked to investigate tools for use in software development.
What I have been asked to do is search for tools and respond with a
preliminary evaluation.

These tools should promote the concept of code and design spec. being
part and parcel of the same text.  I remember scanning something in the
past which was part of an sccs - like archive under which the code and
documentation was part of the same database and either, or both (as a
single document) could be extracted.  (The basis of this was that code
should be completely documented in-line, and the person extracting it
from the archive would get just the comments (as a spec) or the code,
depending on his needs.

Please respond with any knowledge on such tools for the UNIX platform.
Availability on DOS would be a plus.

Thank you.
Bill Wagner (wags@ann-arbor.cimage.com)

andyn@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Novobilski) (07/05/90)

In article <1990Jul2.150209.10622@cimage.com> wags@ann-arbor.cimage.com (Bill Wagner/1000000) writes:
>I have been asked to investigate tools for use in software development.
>What I have been asked to do is search for tools and respond with a
>preliminary evaluation.

Check out the May 1990 issue of IEEE Software.  This issue contains
the "winners" of a refereed tools fair.  (Yes, Stepstone is in there
with the Objective-C Browser).  The tool descriptions were split
into categories such as Performance, User Interface Development,
CASE Analysis and Design, Multiple-CPU Environments, Testing, Maint-
enance, Code Generators, and Integrated and Management.

Hope the reference helps.

--
Andy Novobilski     | The Stepstone Corp.  | Just 12,837 days until I start my
andyn@stepstone.com | 75 Glen Rd.          | new career of weaving baskets and