[net.micro] Word Star Query

burgin@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Burgin) (04/13/86)

Is it possible to access subdirectories on a hard disk using
Word Star (IBM PC)?  In other words, can Word Star access a file that
is not on the same directory as Word Star itself?

Thanks for any ideas or words of advice.

phil@mp-dixie.UUCP (Phil Glatz) (04/17/86)

In article <1408@ecsvax.UUCP>, burgin@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Burgin) writes:

> Is it possible to access subdirectories on a hard disk using
> Word Star (IBM PC)?  In other words, can Word Star access a file that
> is not on the same directory as Word Star itself?

   Yes - try "WordStar for the PCjr".  It was never promoted much by
MicroPro, but it does have some significant advantages over 3.3.  In
addition to full path support, there are no overlays, just one big EXE
file!  Runs a LOT faster and has 40/80 column modes and more function
key support.  On the downside, there is no CorrectStar or MailMerge.
Works well for programming (its the word processor that was used by the
writers of WordStar 2000).
It is available through LifeStyles Software Inc. (they have an 800 numb).
It DOES have a "migration protection" scheme that won't let it run on
anything but a PCjr, but is a simple one-byte patch to make it work on
your regular PC.  The patch info is available on many BBS's if you
can't figure it out yourself.

--
phil
... Phil Glatz, MicroPro Product Development

Colvin.PA@xerox.com (04/17/86)

If you have MS-DOS 3.1 (3.0 might work) then you can use the Subst
command to allow WordStar to access files from other directories. I have
a .bat file in every subdirectory that allows me to use WodStar to edit
a file in that directory. Below is what one looks like.

C:\TURBO>type WS.bat
echo off
\dos\subst e:/d
\dos\subst e: \turbo
cd \ws
ws e:%1
cd \turbo
echo on

C:\TURBO>

This is invoked by typing "WS filename", the subst command creates a new
drive specifer e: which allows WS to access this subdirectory (TURBO) by
using e: as the drive letter. I then change to the WordStar directory
(WS) and invoke WordStar, after exiting I change back to the
subdirectory I started in.

The SUBST command is the major reason I'm using DOS 3.1, I think its
great!!

-- Craig

marino@hcradm.UUCP (Marino Vereecke) (04/18/86)

The Wordstar overlay files must be in the same directory as the file
you wish to edit.  There is a public domain software product available
called Dpath, which is an enhancement of the PATH command, that will
allow you to have all your Wordstar program files in one directory while
you edit or create a file in another directory.
The problem with the PATH command is that doesn't work once you have invoked
Wordstar.  With the PATH command you can have your Wordstar files in one
directory and invoke Wordstar in another directory but then Wordstar just
sits there because it doesn't know where the overlay files are.

aniekan@usc-oberon.UUCP (Aniekan) (04/19/86)

> Is it possible to access subdirectories on a hard disk using
> Word Star (IBM PC)?  In other words, can Word Star access a file that
> is not on the same directory as Word Star itself?
>
> Thanks for any ideas or words of advice.

If I remember correctly I think you can use:

	c:\firstsub\secondsub\filename

where "firstsub" is the name of the first subdirectory, "secondsub" is the
2nd subdirectory and then the name of you file.

Also what version of WS are you using?
I haven't used WS in a while so this might not be correct.

few@well.UUCP (04/19/86)

In article <137@mp-dixie.UUCP> phil@mp-dixie.UUCP (Phil Glatz) writes:
>In article <1408@ecsvax.UUCP>, burgin@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Burgin) writes:
>> Is it possible to access subdirectories on a hard disk using
>> Word Star (IBM PC)?
>   Yes - try "WordStar for the PCjr".  It was never promoted much by
>MicroPro, but it does have some significant advantages over 3.3.
>It DOES have a "migration protection" scheme that won't let it run on
>anything but a PCjr, but is a simple one-byte patch to make it work on
>your regular PC.  The patch info is available on many BBS's if you
>can't figure it out yourself.
>... Phil Glatz, MicroPro Product Development
>{dual,hplabs,glacier,lll-crq}!well!micropro!mp-dixie!phil

Since Phil (hiya buddy) left out the patch (probably in self-protection
mode), and since I no longer work there, here's the patch:
	ren ws.exe ws.e
	debug ws.e
	e 3cbf eb
	ren ws.e ws.exe
--
Frank Whaley
EFS Management Software, Inc.

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (04/21/86)

> The Wordstar overlay files must be in the same directory as the file
> you wish to edit.

	OR on Disk A:

	I keep a copy of Wordstar on a Floppy for jsut such a purpose.
	What I do is leave WordStar, cd to the correct directory, start it
up again, and switch to drive B: or C: with the L command.  It automatically
goes to the current working directory on that drive without problems.

	This requires, of course, that you still have Wordstar sitting on
a Floppy somewhere, but it's always worked for me!

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

santo@utcsri.UUCP (Santo Visconti) (04/22/86)

Here is a method for using Wordstar to edit files in any directory.

This method is known to work for version 3.30p of Wordstar, and PCDOS 3.1.
I would expect it to work with other version of Wordstar as well.
The trick is to use the DOS subst command to create the appearance
of a new drive.

Add the following line to config.sys

lastdrive=z

This tells DOS that there are 26 drives, A thru Z

Add the following line to autoexec.bat

subst w:=c:\ws

Your Wordstar system files are in the directory c:\ws and all
references to drive w: will be directed to c:\ws.

NOW reintstall Wordstar and chose menu E (custom Wordstar features)
then chose R (system disk drive) and tell Wordstar to look for the
system files on drive 23 (W).

Make sure the the new ws.com file is in your path somewhere.
Either add ws.com to a directory which is already searched,
(such as c:\bin on my disk) or add c:\ws to your path.
Again in autoexec.bat add:

path=c:\ws\

You may now (after rebooting) edit a file in any subdirectory.
I have used this method for a long time without problems.
--
David B. Macdonald (guest of santo@utcsri )
{watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!macdon      macdon%utflis@TORONTO

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (04/22/86)

In article <2435@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>> The Wordstar overlay files must be in the same directory as the file
>> you wish to edit.
>
>	OR on Disk A:
>	I keep a copy of Wordstar on a Floppy for jsut such a purpose.
>	What I do is leave WordStar, cd to the correct directory, start it
>up again, and switch to drive B: or C: with the L command.  It automatically
>goes to the current working directory on that drive without problems.
>	This requires, of course, that you still have Wordstar sitting on
>a Floppy somewhere, but it's always worked for me!
>				Craig Werner

Craig is almost correct.  The disk that he refers to as A: is actually
patchable.  In WINSTALL, you can go to the Menu of WordStar Features and
change the "Default Disk Drive."  Thus, you can put those overlays in
the root directory of ANY drive.

Consider that the drive could be a RAMdisk or a subdirectory that has
been brought to root level with the subst(DOS 3.1) command.  Also, if
you put the drive in question on your path, then this setup will allow
you to type "ws" from any directory anywhere and have it come up and
run.

If you use subst, don't forget to set LASTDRIVE in your CONFIG.SYS.
Also, some versions of Install call the Default Disk Drive the "System"
Disk Drive instead.  Both patch the same address.
				-edg

--
Ed Greenberg			| {hplabs,glacier}!well!micropro!edg
MicroPro International Corp.	|  {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!micropro!edg