[comp.software-eng] Software Maintenance

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (10/20/88)

I am looking for network discussions on software maintenance.  Is
there such a group (I've checked the help info, no luck).  Or is
this a good conference for issues of maintaining software?

mwatkins@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Marvin L. Watkins) (10/21/88)

> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges)
>I am looking for network discussions on software maintenance.  Is
----------
I too would like to see such a discussion.

johnm@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (10/22/88)

In article <6338@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) writes:
> I am looking for network discussions on software maintenance. .....

Hang around here. The subject'll turn up again sooner or later.  - John M.

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (10/24/88)

In article <16090005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> mwatkins@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Marvin L. Watkins) writes:
>> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges)
>>I am looking for network discussions on software maintenance.  Is
>----------
>I too would like to see such a discussion.

     Well, it looks like there is an interest in a discussion on
software maintenance.  Nobody else has started one yet, so I guess I
*could* get the ball rolling...(O.K.  I will ;-).

     One of the interesting developments in the software engineering
field as of late is NeXT's choice of bundling an object-oriented C
compiler (Objective C) and a nice group of reusable "objects" that
programmers can use.  NeXT makes the claim that objects are much
easier to utilize than the traditional function call interface that
most systems offer; a specific example that was given was that using
windows in a program is supposedly *much* easier than past windowing
programmer-interfaces (and as a programmer on the Amiga, I can see a
real need for this sort of thing!).

     Assuming that it is easier to use the NeXT objects, my question
is whether software maintenance with an object-oriented interface is
easier than software maintenance with a function-oriented interface?
IMHO, I would assume that it is, because objects (at least, very
strict objects) package an entire function in one programming "unit,"
whereas I feel that functions allow for too many interdependencies.
Therefore, it would be easier to maintain and upgrade an object
because changing a particular aspect of an object is not *as* likely
to break other objects.  [If anyone needs more clarification on the
last point, just ask.]

     Now, the above is pretty much conjecture on my part.  What do
you think?

					.oO Chris Oo.--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu
Immunology Section  (608)262-1617                            lishka@uwslh.uucp
				     ----
"...Just because someone is shy and gets straight A's does not mean they won't
put wads of gum in your arm pits."
                         - Lynda Barry, "Ernie Pook's Commeek: Gum of Mystery"

daveb@geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (10/26/88)

From article <6338@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, by EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges):
> I am looking for network discussions on software maintenance.  Is
> there such a group (I've checked the help info, no luck).  Or is
> this a good conference for issues of maintaining software?
 Well, one fairly important place to look is MIT... There was a
seminal work on maintenance and the evolving of large systems done
as part of project MAC, which popularized the use of version
numbering schemes in Multics and the Arpanet, both of which had to
last far longer than the typical application (be it accounting,
graphics, spreadsheet or whatever... you can't affort to rewrite
operating systems and networks regularly: ask IBM about os/360).
  Regrettably, i can't remember the **right name** of the paper.
Maybe when I get down there next month...

--dave (drat! no references!) collier-brown
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (10/31/88)

It's funny someone should ask about software maintenance just now.  I just
returned from about a week in Phoenix at the Annual Conference on Software
Maintenance.  Anyone seriously interested in maintenance should start with
the proceedings of the last four or five CSMs.  They can be ordered from
IEEE (I saw at least the last two proceedings for sale at the conference).
You might also want to check into the Software Maintenance News Newsletter (?)
published by Nicholas Zvegintzov - call 718-816-5522 $30 per year.  Not much
research, but well worth teh price to see what the issues seem to be and how
they are being attacked by commercial groups.

Warren Harrison
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

mwatkins@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Marvin L. Watkins) (11/02/88)

> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (aka Christopher Lishka)
> ...     , my question
>is whether software maintenance with an object-oriented interface is
>easier than software maintenance with a function-oriented interface?
>IMHO, I would assume that it is, ...
----------
No data points on OO maintenance, BUT ...
(... something about you get what you pay for and notes is free ...)

During new product design phases, if a feature or requirement
doesn't "fit" into the evolving design, engineers are generally
*expected* to redesign the structure to create a simple, clean architecture.

During released product design (aka maintenance), if a new requirement
doesn't "fit" into the existing design, engineers are generally
*forbidden* to redesign the structure.
(Has everybody here heard the anecdote about the comment
"They made me do it!" in an ugly patch?)

Presumably, restructuring during early design is good
but during late design is bad.
Leaving aside all the fun comments one could make here,
I paraphrase lishka's question as,

	"Which design method produces programs that can have
	new features introduced without major modification to their
	existing structure?"

My guess? OOD.

madhav@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Neel Madhav) (07/11/90)

This is a request for references which introduce the field
of software maintenance. I am looking for papers/books which
survey the field from a technical viewpoint.

Visits to the library produced an abundance of material which is
difficult to sift through. Therefore, I am looking for one
or two references.

Thank You,
Neel Madhav
madhav@cs.stanford.edu

--
Neel Madhav     E-mail: madhav@cs.stanford.edu  (415)-723-1089 (O)

jfoster@axion.bt.co.uk (John Foster) (07/11/90)

From article <1990Jul11.000653.7802@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, by madhav@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Neel Madhav):
> This is a request for references which introduce the field
> of software maintenance. I am looking for papers/books which
> survey the field from a technical viewpoint.
> Visits to the library produced an abundance of material which is
> difficult to sift through. Therefore, I am looking for one
> or two references.

You could try:

Parikh, G. and Zvegintzov, N.
"Tutorial on Software Maintenance"
IEEE Computer Society Press, 1983
A collection of papers on the subject, plus an annotated bibliography.

Parikh, G.
"Discovering the World of Software Maintenance: Selected Readings"
ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes
Vol 10 no 5, Oct 1985

IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering
Vol 13 no 3, Mar 1987
Special section on software maintenance, including "The State of
Software Maintenance" by Norman Schneidewind

Also issues of:
Journal of Software Maintenance: Research and Practice
published by John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Baffins Lane,
Chichester, Sussex PO19 1UD, England.

Hope this helps

| John Foster, RT3151, Room G44C, SSTF, British Telecom Research Labs, |
|                           Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, UK.    |
| Phone:  +44 473 646019      Fax:  +44 473 643019      Telex: 987137  |

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul11.000653.7802@Neon.Stanford.EDU> madhav@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Neel Madhav) writes:
>This is a request for references which introduce the field
>of software maintenance. I am looking for papers/books which
>survey the field from a technical viewpoint.

There is an IEEE Tutorial on Software Restructuring edited by Bob Arnold
which is quite good. It obvioulsy only focuses on one aspect of maintenance,
but it is an important aspect (I think) of maintenance.

Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science                                503/725-3108
Portland State University