[comp.software-eng] Cost of developing embedded software reported

jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (07/19/90)

Here are excerpts from R&D magazine (a controlled-circulation trade magazine),
July 1990, p. 68, in an article "Five Steps to Successful Software Development"
by Roger Woodward of Woodward Design Associates, San Francisco:

"...For instrument software, specifically real-time microprocessor software,
my firm has developed a historical price-estimation scheme that has proven
useful and accurate.

Based on a large sample of our own projects and another sampling of
projects completed at instrument firms that cooperated in our survey, you can
figure on $2.75 per byte at 1990 prices.

Thus a project that must fit in 64K should cost, start to finish, about
$180,000.

Our evidence suggests that, for a project of this size, cost estimates
below $100,000 and above $300,000 are both suspect."

This seems roughly consistent with estimates of $10.00 per source line that
I can vaguely remember hearing somewhere.

Jon Jacky, University of Washington, Seattle   jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (07/19/90)

 In a previous article, jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) writes:
>Here are excerpts from R&D magazine (a controlled-circulation trade magazine),
>July 1990, p. 68, in an article "Five Steps to Successful Software Development"
>by Roger Woodward of Woodward Design Associates, San Francisco:
>
>"...For instrument software, specifically real-time microprocessor software,
>my firm has developed a historical price-estimation scheme that has proven
>useful and accurate.
>
>Based on a large sample of our own projects and another sampling of
>projects completed at instrument firms that cooperated in our survey, you can
>figure on $2.75 per byte at 1990 prices.
>
>Thus a project that must fit in 64K should cost, start to finish, about
>$180,000.
>
>Our evidence suggests that, for a project of this size, cost estimates
>below $100,000 and above $300,000 are both suspect."
>
>This seems roughly consistent with estimates of $10.00 per source line that
>I can vaguely remember hearing somewhere.

FYI,
Just for kicks, I once calculated the costs of a radio-telescope I worked on.
It had two computers one using BASIC (ugh!) and one using 'C'.  Lots of
hardware, IEEE devices, etc.  I figured it cost about $.10 per character of
source (even spaces and comments) and about $3.45 per line of source.  If you
do the math, you can see that works out to about 34.5 chars/line.  This isn't
as bad as it sounds (yes, I do indent rigourously) if you count tabs as one
character.  The whole project had about 16,000 lines of 'C' and about 9,500
lines of BASIC and took me the better part of a year to do.  I worked as a
contractor for that time and kept all me invoices.  By the way, about 75
pages of technical documentation are include in that time frame, but are not
factored into the cost/char of source code.  The time also included about
5 months in Japan as installation occured.  This cost counts the work time I
spent over there, but not the per Diem I charged for living expenses.

>Jon Jacky, University of Washington, Seattle   jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

   -dave

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (07/19/90)

In article <12577@june.cs.washington.edu> jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) writes:
>Here are excerpts from R&D magazine (a controlled-circulation trade magazine),
>July 1990, p. 68, in an article "Five Steps to Successful Software Development"
>by Roger Woodward of Woodward Design Associates, San Francisco:

... a description of how they obtained their data

>Thus a project that must fit in 64K should cost, start to finish, about
>$180,000.

Does this mean that a project which needs to fit in 16K should cost $44,000?
I guess the best way to reduce the cost of that 64K system is to get rid of
some ROM :-) It seems it would make more sense to include the expected
functionality in the estimation procedure - (IMHO)

Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science                                503/725-3108
Portland State University