[comp.software-eng] Significant digits

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (07/29/90)

In article <152@srchtec.UUCP>, johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) writes:
> In article <1990Jul21.191009.14229@newcastle.ac.uk>
> Chris.Holt@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Holt) [in response to me] writes:
> > ...  many people still think if you have digits of precision, that
> >those digits are necessarily meaningful.  A garbage number is worse than
> >a very imprecise one *because* it is misleading.
>
> Very well-said.             --john b.---

An interesting example of this appeared in Byte several years ago.  The
reviewer was reviewing a statistics package for the Mac, which had a
feature that as significant digits were lost, they were "grayed out."
The reviewer was quite surprised when some statistical models he had
been using for some time returned results that were entirely "grayed out."

A similar story concerns Boeing, when they moved from an IBM to a VAX.
Their programs started aborting in the VAX trig functions with a "Total
loss of precision" error, which the IBM system had not reported.
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (07/31/90)

In article <399@necssd.NEC.COM>, harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison)
writes:
> In article <152@srchtec.UUCP>, johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) writes:
> > In article <1990Jul21.191009.14229@newcastle.ac.uk>
> > Chris.Holt@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Holt) [in response to me] writes:
> > > ...  many people still think if you have digits of precision, that
> > >those digits are necessarily meaningful.  A garbage number is worse than
> > >a very imprecise one *because* it is misleading.
> >
> > Very well-said.             --john b.---
>
> An interesting example of this appeared in Byte several years ago.  The
> reviewer was reviewing a statistics package for the Mac, which had a
> feature that as significant digits were lost, they were "grayed out."
> The reviewer was quite surprised when some statistical models he had
> been using for some time returned results that were entirely "grayed out."

This brings up a very good point.  If the only level of precision you
have is an order of magnitude, give it that way.  Don't say "the mean
estimate for completion time is  516.33333 engineer hours" when what you mean
is that expected completion time will fall somewhere in the hundreds
of hours.  Say instead "the project will take somewhere between one
hundred and one thousand hours, I can't be more precise than that at
this time with current information."  Or if you are even more uncertain,
say "somewhere between one hundred and TEN thousand hours...".  When
people see the extra digits, it contributes to their misunderstanding of
of level of accuracy available.   Even most statistically savvy people
are tempted to expect more when nonsignificant digits are given, the
average less statistically inclined person is even more vulnerable.
One of the ways that people have dealt with this sort of uncertainty
in the past was to choose units  that forced the nonsignificance out
of the picture.  An estimate of "7530 feet plus or minus 2525 feet"
(2 sigma variance) might be described as "about a mile or two".
When the unit was miles, no one made much thought about the precision
at the level of feet and that lead to more *accurate* expectations about
the imprecision of the underlying estimate.  Maybe we should start
using deca-engineer-weeks, etc.

Scott McGregor
mcgregor@atherton.com