[comp.software-eng] Dress code

nxh@mead.UUCP (Nobuya Higashiyama) (07/12/90)

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the impact of cubicle vs. office
on productivity.  I'd like to extend the discussion to the topic of dress code.
Some of the questions I have are:

1.  Does the presence/absence of dress code affect your productivity as a soft-
    ware engineer?

2.  Will the dress code be a factor in choosing which company to work for?  If
    so, how much?

3.  What are the degrees of dress code you will feel tolerable?  Requiring a
    tie or a dress is one thing, but perhaps prohibiting jeans and sneakers
    is another?

I would appreciate any opinions on this (post or email).  Thanks in advance!

									Higgy

Disclaimer: these opinions are mine only, and do not reflect the opinions of
	    Mead Data Central.
--
Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama                     |  ____/|
Data Integrity Systems                         |  \ o.O|  Vote for Bill in '92!

beth@hpfelg.HP.COM (Beth Crespo) (07/14/90)

>/ hpfelg:comp.software-eng / nxh@mead.UUCP (Nobuya Higashiyama) /  9:31 am  Jul 12, 1990 /
>There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the impact of cubicle vs. office
>on productivity.  I'd like to extend the discussion to the topic of dress code.
>Some of the questions I have are:
>
>1. Does the presence/absence of dress code affect your productivity as a soft-
>   ware engineer?
The existance of a dress code would have a negative effect on my productivity.
I would greatly resent an employer who judged my performance by the kind
of clothing I wear rather than by the work I do; such a company would,
in my opinion, be more interested in surface appearance than real results.
Why would you want a dress code for professionals who are not in daily
contact with customers?

>2.  Will the dress code be a factor in choosing which company to work for?  If
>    so, how much?
I strongly prefer NOT to work for a company with a dress code; I feel it is
a leading indicator of a stagnant mind set. Also, I would have to
spend money on clothing that I don't like; I would rather spend my
money on things I enjoy.  Unless the company provides the clothing...
but I don't think your proposing uniforms...are you?

>3.  What are the degrees of dress code you will feel tolerable?  Requiring a
>    tie or a dress is one thing, but perhaps prohibiting jeans and sneakers
>    is another?
I could agree with a dress code that says you must wear clothing
to the office. Anything more is a pointless game. Why do you think
jeans or sneakers should be prohibited? What benefit is there to a dress?
If you put my coworkers in dresses they would really be unhappy; most of them
are wearing shorts and sneakers now. Oh...perhaps, you meant only the women
should wear dresses ... sir, please explain yourself.

Does anyone work for a company that actually has a dress code?

When I drive past the Boulder-IBM facility on my way to work, I see lots
of fellows wearing ties -  does IBM require white-shirt and tie? If there
are any professional women, are they required to wear dresses? Is it an
explicit rule or due to social pressure? What "penalty" is there if you
wear pants instead of a dress? how about jeans?

>I would appreciate any opinions on this (post or email).  Thanks in advance!
Your welcome,
Beth Crespo, HP EDD Productivity Engineer
These opinions are mine, Hewlett-Packard may or may not agree with them.

kinsel@hpfelg.HP.COM (Linda Kinsel) (07/14/90)

> Does anyone work for a company that actually has a dress code?

Beth, HP does have a dress code of sorts.  On my first day of work, my
section manager informed me that I was expected to wear shoes!

There are plenty of companies that have dress codes.  I used to work for
one (CF Braun in Los Angeles).  They expected conservative suits, preferably
three-piece suits with a white shirt and tie for the men and skirt-suits or
dresses for the women.  About a year before I started working there they
changed the dress code to allow pastel shirts for the men and pant suits
for the women.

> Is it an explicit rule or due to social pressure?

At Braun, it was an explicit rule.  No jeans, no cordoroy (too casual),
no eyelet blouses (too explicit!).

> What "penalty" is there if you wear pants instead of a dress?

There was no penalty for wearing slacks rather than a dress, although
the year before there would have been.

Generally, if you broke the dress code, your boss sent you home to change
your clothes.  If you were a repeat offender, you could expect to be laid
off the next time business was slow.

> How about jeans?

Jeans were only allowed to be worn if you came in on Saturday to work.

I hope that Braun was an extreme case.  We worked with customers on a daily
basis, and it was common for presidents of oil companies to wander through
the work area.  It was extremely important for the company to maintain a
very professional image.  So there was a reason for the strict dress code.
But most of us still longed to wear more comfortable clothes.

gordon@mead.UUCP (Gordon Edwards) (07/16/90)

In article <3440008@hpfelg.HP.COM>, beth@hpfelg.HP.COM (Beth Crespo) writes:
|> >/ hpfelg:comp.software-eng / nxh@mead.UUCP (Nobuya Higashiyama) /
9:31 am  Jul 12, 1990 /
|> > [Higgy's article deleted. Sorry. -gordon]

|> The existance of a dress code would have a negative effect on my
productivity.
|> I would greatly resent an employer who judged my performance by the kind
|> of clothing I wear rather than by the work I do; such a company would,
|> in my opinion, be more interested in surface appearance than real results.
|> Why would you want a dress code for professionals who are not in daily
|> contact with customers?

While I have no love for a dress code, there are valid business reasons for
having one.  If your customers expect professional dress then it is smart
business to "give the customers what they want."  I have personally witnessed
valid comments, by very intelligent people, be dismissed because of
their dress.
There is also the opinion that ones dress affects ones professionalism.  I
do not agree with this at all, but, if my customers belive this, then it's
worth putting on a tie.

|> I strongly prefer NOT to work for a company with a dress code; I feel it is
|> a leading indicator of a stagnant mind set. Also, I would have to
|> spend money on clothing that I don't like; I would rather spend my
|> money on things I enjoy.  Unless the company provides the clothing...
|> but I don't think your proposing uniforms...are you?

The dress code is not a prime factor in my decision.  The job, money, and
benefits would all come first.  Additionally, I think it has nothing to
do with
a stagnant mind set.  If we (the technical people) were off MDC's main campus,
I don't think management would care if we wore toga's.

|> I could agree with a dress code that says you must wear clothing
|> to the office. Anything more is a pointless game. Why do you think
|> jeans or sneakers should be prohibited? What benefit is there to a dress?
|> If you put my coworkers in dresses they would really be unhappy; most
of them
|> are wearing shorts and sneakers now. Oh...perhaps, you meant only the women
|> should wear dresses ... sir, please explain yourself.
|>
|> Does anyone work for a company that actually has a dress code?

Yes, Mead Data Central has recently introduced a mild dress code.  Simply put,
no jeans or sneakers and no shirts without collars (t-shirts, etc.).  If
meeting with a customer, throw in a tie.

|> When I drive past the Boulder-IBM facility on my way to work, I see lots
|> of fellows wearing ties -  does IBM require white-shirt and tie? If there
|> are any professional women, are they required to wear dresses? Is it an
|> explicit rule or due to social pressure? What "penalty" is there if you
|> wear pants instead of a dress? how about jeans?

I once asked an IBM sales rep., and he said that the white shirts are
required.

BTW, our customers are primarily law firms.  When is the last time you saw a
lawyer arguing a case in jeans and sneakers?  I rest my case. :-)

--
Gordon Edwards                                         mead!gordon@uccba.uc.edu
Mead Data Central, Dayton OH                              ...!uccba!mead!gordon

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (07/17/90)

I have a client, a fairly big honcho in his organization, who was having
trouble getting a vendor to fix a computer which was on a service contract.
There was a problem with spare parts, and every time they would call in to
complain a techie would come out and say "sure 'nuff, it needs a new <mumble>.
I'll see if I can get one." Eventually it got to be a real problem and my
client started getting visits from various honchos in the vendor's operation.
Eventually he got tired of the runaround and told the service manager's boss's
boss "I don't want to see any more #^$%#&@ three-piece suits! -- I want to get
my computer fixed!" The vendor's response was to forbid anyone calling on my
client's account to wear a three-piece suit.

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (07/25/90)

In article <847@meaddata.mead.UUCP>, nxh@mead.UUCP (Nobuya Higashiyama) writes:
> There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the impact of cubicle vs. office
> on productivity.  I'd like to extend the discussion to the topic of dress code.
> Some of the questions I have are:
>
> 1.  Does the presence/absence of dress code affect your productivity as a soft-
>     ware engineer?

[other stuff deleted]

There was an article in a recent New York Times which reports the following
opinion of Dr. Leonard W. Morgan of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences
Center:

	Tight collars and ties can impair blood flow to the brain
	and interfere with clear thinking, alertness and judgment.

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (07/25/90)

>/ hpclapd:comp.software-eng / kinsel@hpfelg.HP.COM (Linda Kinsel) /  2:19 pm  Jul 13, 1990 /

This is something that I feel pretty  strongly about and  yet I don't think
that this is the proper place to discuss it.  Perhaps, since Beth and Linda
are both HP employees, we can take this to hp.misc where it will surely get
torn apart!!

I do wish to respond to some of these stuff though.

>> Is it an explicit rule or due to social pressure?
>
>At Braun, it was an explicit rule.  No jeans, no cordoroy (too casual),
>no eyelet blouses (too explicit!).

Yeah but who made up this "rule" and why was  it made?  My guess  is social
pressure  (or it could be  a concerted effort  on the  part  of the fashion
industry to ensure sales of dresses and suits.  Only 1/4 :-).

Think about this.  I work at HP and I am allowed to work in  casual clothes
(jeans, T shirts and shorts when I want to).  When I  tell friends who work
in  what is considered "professional" jobs  and whose  dress is mandated by
their employers,  about this they   say  "Gee, I wish   I could go to  work
dressed casually!".  Their bosses say the same thing!  Who the h**l made up
this  silly rule  that nobody  likes!  Would  you really consider,  say, an
accounting firm, unprofessional   if  they   walked around  in  jeans and a
T-shirt but GOT YOUR TAXES DONE ON-TIME AND SAVED YOU BIG BUCKS?  Of course
not.    (Or, for  that matter,  am    I, a   software engineer,  considered
unprofessional because I don't wear a suit?)

>Generally, if you broke the dress code, your boss sent you home to change
>your clothes.  If you were a repeat offender, you could expect to be laid
>off the next time business was slow.

Although it might be difficult to prove, I would sue the  pants off of them
(full pun intended).

>I hope that Braun was an extreme case.  We worked with customers on a daily
>basis, and it was common for presidents of oil companies to wander through
>the work area.  It was extremely important for the company to maintain a
>very professional image.  So there was a reason for the strict dress code.
>But most of us still longed to wear more comfortable clothes.
>----------

Here we go again!  Who says that a man in a suit is a professional  while a
man not in a  suit isn't.  Professionalism is an  *attitude* not a form  of
dress.   Doing  a good job   is the way a  company  can really  maintain  a
"professional  image".   Dressing up  the employees  just makes  them  look
pretty.

paul@ncrcam.Cambridge.NCR.COM (Paul Davis) (07/26/90)

I find this amazing.  I have been away from the news for 3 years.  I come
back and find that this topic is *still* being discussed.  Could this
indicate that this topic is producing no *meaningful* discussion?
--
Please reply by e-mail if possible.  Thanks in advance
Paul Davis

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (07/27/90)

 In a previous article, defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>Yeah but who made up this "rule" and why was  it made?  My guess  is social
>pressure  (or it could be  a concerted effort  on the  part  of the fashion
>industry to ensure sales of dresses and suits.  Only 1/4 :-).

Generally, I have found that such rules were mandated 'long ago' by those that
went on to become upper level managers, left the company, or those worried
about customers that visit the place of work (usually sales or marketting
people).  They feel that dressing 'professionally' promotes the type of
attitude about the company that they wish to see expressed, both internally
to other employees and to those that come to visit.

>Would  you really consider,  say, an
>accounting firm, unprofessional   if  they   walked around  in  jeans and a
>T-shirt but GOT YOUR TAXES DONE ON-TIME AND SAVED YOU BIG BUCKS?  Of course
>not.    (Or, for  that matter,  am    I, a   software engineer,  considered
>unprofessional because I don't wear a suit?)

Personally, I wouldn't care.  But I am not everyone.  Those that make the rules
perceive that a client is more inclined to view the company in a serious light
if dress is according to what is expected from a professional company.  It
projects the desired image.  Right or wrong, those that have the ability to
mandate such a thing will do so if they feel it will help sales.  This rule
is generally removed not by managers, but by employees who start to show up
for work dressed as they feel like.  Usually, the older and/or more secure
people will start the ball rolling, and if others see that they continue to
get away with it, they too will start dressing more casually.  I find that
technical types who have a large amount of job security and a strong personality
are the ideal candidates for removal of such rules.

[  Stuff about Braun dress codes deleted here  ]

>Here we go again!  Who says that a man in a suit is a professional  while a
>man not in a  suit isn't.  Professionalism is an  *attitude* not a form  of
>dress.   Doing  a good job   is the way a  company  can really  maintain  a
>"professional  image".   Dressing up  the employees  just makes  them  look
>pretty.

I believe it is the company management that wishes to display a certain
image of the company that says 'if you don't dress professionally, you must
not be a professional.'  You are quite correct in stating that professionalism
is an attitude and not an appearance.  One must remember though, that not all
people in this world are engineers.  To them, 'it is better to look good than
to feel good' and they will try to sway opinions with the proper lighting and
makeup.  They claim that, "If you are a professional, what does it matter how
you dress?  You are still a professional.  So why don't you try to display that
in first impressions when a customer is visiting?".  Personally, I don't feel
that this attitude carries any weight.

 -dave

turner@dover.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (07/27/90)

In article <1956@ncrcam.Cambridge.NCR.COM> paul@ncrcam.Cambridge.NCR.COM (Paul Davis) writes:
>I find this amazing.  I have been away from the news for 3 years.  I come
>back and find that this topic is *still* being discussed.  Could this

Dress codes are like the weather.  We complain about it, but can't do
anything about it.

Robert, in a tie and sports jacket and it's 105 degrees outside!

--
-----
Law of the Net:  Trivia begets trivia tenfold.                All opinions are.

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (07/31/90)

>/ hpclapd:comp.software-eng / mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) /  9:45 pm  Jul 26, 1990 /

>>Would  you really consider,  say, an
>>accounting firm, unprofessional   if  they   walked around  in  jeans and a
>>T-shirt but GOT YOUR TAXES DONE ON-TIME AND SAVED YOU BIG BUCKS?  Of course
>>not.    (Or, for  that matter,  am    I, a   software engineer,  considered
>>unprofessional because I don't wear a suit?)
>
>Personally, I wouldn't care.  But I am not everyone.

>One must remember though, that not all people in this world are engineers.

My point is that a lot of people feel like you and I -  that there dress is
mandated by the company, they would be more comfortable if they could dress
casually, they don't personally care if the company  they deal with dresses
casually  as long as  the work  gets  do professionally  (and  this is  not
necessarily limited to engineers and non-engineers). So why does  the dress
code remain?

>They [people who  think you  must dress 'professional' to be professional]
>claim that, "If you are a professional, what does it matter how
>you dress?  You are still a professional.  So why don't you try to display that
>in first impressions when a customer is visiting?".  Personally, I don't feel
>that this attitude carries any weight.

Agreed.  I don't want to dress "professional" because 1) it's  not me, 2) I
would  rather spend my money  earned on  things  that I enjoy   than buying
suits, 3) suits are uncomfortable,  4)  suits are ugly and stylisictly they
are boring (the "style" has been  around forever :-) -  they don't show any
individualism, they  make everybody look  very  similar and you   lose your
identitiy not to mention freedom  to  express yourself through  clothing of
your own choosing.

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (07/31/90)

In reading things posted on this topic, I do not believe I have read one of the
reasons I have often been given in the past for dress codes which is related to
the customer-image issue.  Wearing non-distinctive dress has been justified to
me -- not where I currently work but a few jobs back -- on the basis of avoid-
ing people becoming a "distraction" to other business goals.

This sounds bizarre, but it seems to come partially from a sales/marketing or-
ganization view that customers, during presentations or other kinds of inter-
actions, will be distracted by distinctiveness in dress and not be as well fo-
cused on the sales/marketing goals for the interaction.  This used to be an ex-
cuse why minorities, women, the physically/mentally distinct, etc. were also
considered "distractions" in business settings.

Before you deny this view, consider for a moment how you may have seen people
(if you don't admit to it yourself) reacting to things "out of the norm" in a
business interaction.  Whatever people are not used to seeing or dealing with
can be a distraction, or even a discomfort, in the process.  Hence, conservative
approaches to business -- which set the pattern many years ago -- wanted to
avoid such problems and mandated appropriate business attire as a means of
homogenizing everyone and building personal predictability into business situa-
tions.

As I said above, bizarre in terms of how many think about personal freedoms and
how people should be treated today.  But I suggest that assumptions about dress
codes and the like are based on manmy of these older ideas while they look for
more modern justifications.

I do not object, in principal, to dress codes, but I question their basis in
many cases.  If they are based on a current standard of company image, that's
one thing, but if they are justified only to reinforce old stereotypes of what
"other people think" or will accept, then I think they're a dangerous sign of
prejudices in action.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (908-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (08/01/90)

In article <6610003@hpclapd.HP.COM>, defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy
DeFaria) writes:
> >/ hpclapd:comp.software-eng / mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) /
9:45 pm  Jul 26, 1990 /

> >>Would  you really consider,  say, an
> >>accounting firm, unprofessional   if  they   walked around  in  jeans and a
> >>T-shirt but GOT YOUR TAXES DONE ON-TIME AND SAVED YOU BIG BUCKS?  Of course
> >>not.    (Or, for  that matter,  am    I, a   software engineer,  considered
> >>unprofessional because I don't wear a suit?)
> >
> >Personally, I wouldn't care.  But I am not everyone.

It is also interesting to consider the flip side of this.  What would you
think if you went and interviewed at a company where everyone in the software
department wore a suit.  Let's assume that you didn't get a chance to
ask anyone about this. But when you went away, what would be your first
impression?
Would you conclude that they MUST have a forced dress code?  Would you
conclude that the place is too "stuffy" for your tastes?

That's the point, isn't it.  People DO draw conclusions from first
impressions, and how one dresses is part of the many subtle little
things that these impressions are derived from.  I don't defend
dress codes, but I have also seen people who do like to dress up every day
be ostrasized or ridiculed as being vain by others who regularly dress
more casually.  Some of these people have told me that they don't care
how people dress and don't think others should care how they dress. But
their reactions to those who dressed formally belied that fact.

I think that many people DO care how they and others dress. I think
problem with dress codes is that some people specifically DO want to use
the way they dress to express aspects of "who they are".  When the
image of "who they are" (devil may care, free thinking, casual type)
person conflicts with the  image of that the company decision maker wants to
see portrayed (structured, dedicated to the organization, formal) that
is where the problem lies.  In my view, dress codes are just artifacts
of the disagreement of image desires of individuals.

Scott McGregor
(personally, I prefer varied environments with a mixture of casual and
formal dress.  I won't force that on anyone, but I might use that as
one aspect of deciding where I would be comfortable).

ejp@icd.ab.com (Ed Prochak) (08/01/90)

In article <28031@athertn.Atherton.COM>, mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM
(Scott McGregor) writes:
[stuff deleted]

> That's the point, isn't it.  People DO draw conclusions from first
> impressions, and how one dresses is part of the many subtle little
> things that these impressions are derived from.  I don't defend
> dress codes, but I have also seen people who do like to dress up every day
> be ostrasized or ridiculed as being vain by others who regularly dress
> more casually.  Some of these people have told me that they don't care
> how people dress and don't think others should care how they dress. But
> their reactions to those who dressed formally belied that fact.
>
> I think that many people DO care how they and others dress.
[rest of paragraph deleted]

> Scott McGregor
> (personally, I prefer varied environments with a mixture of casual and
> formal dress.  I won't force that on anyone, but I might use that as
> one aspect of deciding where I would be comfortable).

Preface: I typically wear a dress shirt and tie to work.
Although I haven't been ridiculed, I have experienced the
reaction of coworkers who question my getting "dressed up".
And the days that I do decide to wear jeans, I always get
a comment from someone about my casual dress. I am not
complaining. I am lending support to Scott's observations.

Pearson's commentary on Murphy's law:
		The man was right!

Edward J. Prochak   Voice: work-(216)646-4663  home-(216)349-1821
               Email: {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!ejp@icd.ab.com
USmail: Allen-Bradley, 747 Alpha Drive, Highland Heights,OH 44143
Wellington: ENGINEERING is "the ability to do for one dollar,
                            what any damn fool can do for two."

defaria@hpclove.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (08/01/90)

/ hpclove:comp.software-eng / duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) /  5:13 am  Jul 31, 1990 /
>In reading things posted on this topic, I do not believe I have read one of the
>reasons I have often been given in the past for dress codes which is related to
>the customer-image issue.  Wearing non-distinctive dress has been justified to
>me -- not where I currently work but a few jobs back -- on the basis of avoid-
>ing people becoming a "distraction" to other business goals.
>
>This sounds bizarre, but it seems to come partially from a sales/marketing or-
>ganization view that customers, during presentations or other kinds of inter-
>actions, will be distracted by distinctiveness in dress and not be as well fo-
>cused on the sales/marketing goals for the interaction.  This used to be an ex-
>cuse why minorities, women, the physically/mentally distinct, etc. were also
>considered "distractions" in business settings.

Ah yes I can see it now:

	"Joe that shirt is to loud, too colorful, too distracting to our
	companies business goals... Take that shirt off and bleach it white
	so it will look like everybody else shirt!"

	"I'm sorry, I really would like to hire you, Jane, but you're too
	attractive and would too much of a distraction to our male employees
	in our corporate meetings... Could you, say, gain 50 pounds?"

Yeah I know that stuff like this really does happen in real life (although it
is not usually put so bluntly) but when we state what's really going on in
plain English it looks really silly, doesn't it?

stevebr@microsoft.UUCP (Steve BRANDLI) (08/02/90)

In article <6610003@hpclapd.HP.COM> defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>>/ hpclapd:comp.software-eng / mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) /  9:45 pm  Jul 26, 1990 /
>
>>>Would  you really consider,  say, an
>>>accounting firm, unprofessional   if  they   walked around  in  jeans and a
>>>T-shirt but GOT YOUR TAXES DONE ON-TIME AND SAVED YOU BIG BUCKS?  Of course
>>>not.    (Or, for  that matter,  am    I, a   software engineer,  considered
>>>unprofessional because I don't wear a suit?)
>
>My point is that a lot of people feel like you and I -  that there dress is
>mandated by the company, they would be more comfortable if they could dress
>casually, they don't personally care if the company  they deal with dresses
>casually  as long as  the work  gets  do professionally  (and  this is  not
>necessarily limited to engineers and non-engineers). So why does  the dress
>code remain?

We really don't have a dress code at Microsoft.  (I'm currenty in my jeans
and bare feet.)  But then we are not very visable to the people that buy our
products.  And even so, it is interesting to note that we are often referred
to as the "nerds in Redmond, Washington", or something similar, and our image
is as people not very interested in what the customer thinks or wants.

So, I'm very sympathetic about those companies that do require dress codes.
When I decide whether or not to buy someone's services or products, I may very
well base part of my opinion on an intangible feeling of professionalism,
which I would interpret as a willingness to make sure that things are done
right.  And that intangible feeling may be heavily influenced by how the
people selling the service or product dress.  The logic behind the feeling
goes something like this:  If they are willing to dress up for me and look
neat and tidy, then they may be more willing to satisfy my needs.

Sound ridiculus?  Possibly.  But companies must base their decisions on the
profit motive.  That is what they are there for.  And if customers are
noticing how it's employees appear, then this must be a concern.  Microsoft
has decided that making it's engineers comfortable is more important than
putting on a good image for it's customers through a dress code.  But a
company with more visible employees may be faced with a different tradeoff.

/Steve

psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul Chisholm) (08/02/90)

In the Computer Systems business unit of AT&T's Data Systems Group, top
management (Rich McGinn, the president of the business unit) has turned
this old burden on its ear.  Mondays and Fridays are designated
"dress down" days.  Anyone not coming into direct customer contact on
those days is *encouraged* to dress casually.  We had a video "team
meeting" broadcast from CS headquarters Friday, and few people in the
audience were wearing suits or ties.  (McGinn and his VP's wore suits,
out of consideration to the sales staff who were watching, or some
such.)

Needless to say, he didn't have to tell us Bell Labs types twice!

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories, who wore a quasi-Western
shirt, blue jeans, and tennis shoes to the office today.
att!mtunq!psrc, psrc@mtunq.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (08/03/90)

Well, I return to this news group and once again find that the dress code
issue has supplanted software reusability as a topic of conversation.

I hope that 20 years hence it won't matter what you wear to the office,
since the office will also be home.  Maybe 20 years is a poor guestimate
of when telecommuting becomes prevalent ( I hope it's sooner! ) but it's
coming and it can't come soon enough.

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
|  | ~   ~ |  |
   . O   o .      I speak for myself.
|     .V.     |
     ._ _.
|      U      |

klapper@oravax.UUCP (Carl Klapper) (08/03/90)

In article <618@ntpdvp1.UUCP>, willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) writes:
> Well, I return to this news group and once again find that the dress code
> issue has supplanted software reusability as a topic of conversation.

No need for supplanting. I would merge the two topics with the questions:

	Is the dress code reusable? Is the compiled dress code?

Inquiring garment workers (dress assemblers) want to know.

+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
|  Real urbanites don't buy   | Carl Klapper				   |
|  things. They buy service.  | Odyssey Research Associates, Inc.	   |
|                             | 301A Harris B. Dates Drive		   |
|  A kitchen's place is       | Ithaca, NY  14850			   |
|  in the restaurant.         | (607) 277-2020				   |
|                             | klapper%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu |
+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (08/04/90)

Real good stuff!  Good response!

>It is also interesting to consider the flip side of this.  What would you
>think if you went and interviewed at a company where everyone in the software
>department wore a suit.  Let's assume that you didn't get a chance to
>ask anyone about this. But when you went away, what would be your first
>impression?
>Would you conclude that they MUST have a forced dress code?  Would you
>conclude that the place is too "stuffy" for your tastes?

I spent 8 years contracting and every place I went a suit was required so I
have seen the "flip side".  Would  I conclude that there  is a forced dress
code.  Sure I would if *everybody* was wearing suits.  And the part  that I
don't like about that is the word "forced".  I don't like being forced.

>I don't defend dress codes, but I have also seen people who do like to
>dress up every day be ostrasized or ridiculed as being vain by others who
>regularly dress more casually.

The difference is that at a  company that has a strict  dress code, you are
not ridiculed but *told* to change.

>When the
>image of "who they are" (devil may care, free thinking, casual type)
>person conflicts with the  image of that the company decision maker wants to
>see portrayed (structured, dedicated to the organization, formal) that
>is where the problem lies.

But who's to say that the "company decision maker" is  right?  I mean I can
understand  that a  suit is associated with formallity  and structure but I
believe that it's  a creative leap of  the imagination to associate  a suit
with dedication   to   the  job.    (I  believe   that   "dedicated  to the
organization" is protrayed by wearing a suit.  After all you  are sucomming
(sp?)  their rules, but is professionalism  dedication  to the organization
(loyality)  or is it   dedication  to the job  at  hand that  best exhibits
professionalism?)

>Scott McGregor
>(personally, I prefer varied environments with a mixture of casual and
>formal dress.  I won't force that on anyone, but I might use that as
>one aspect of deciding where I would be comfortable).
>----------

Most definitely agree!

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (08/06/90)

In article <7990001@hpclove.HP.COM> defaria@hpclove.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>Ah yes I can see it now:
>
>	"Joe that shirt is to loud, too colorful, too distracting to our
>	companies business goals... Take that shirt off and bleach it white
>	so it will look like everybody else shirt!"
>
>	"I'm sorry, I really would like to hire you, Jane, but you're too
>	attractive and would too much of a distraction to our male employees
>	in our corporate meetings... Could you, say, gain 50 pounds?"
>
>Yeah I know that stuff like this really does happen in real life (although it
>is not usually put so bluntly) but when we state what's really going on in
>plain English it looks really silly, doesn't it?

It would even be humorous if it were not for the fact that it results in people
being denied opportunities as well as in lost productivity potential for the
companies.  I think enforced dress codes are simply a company's way of saying
they can't trust their employees to behave in a way the company approves, so
their behavior will be regulated to insure greater predictability.  Once you
get past the silliness of the dress code, because it is purely surface, you get
to the next (perhaps more fundamental) level of objection:  people's ideas and
other people's ability to deal with diversity.