[comp.software-eng] Help on tools like SCCS, SPRs etc..

vsp@hjuxa (35G-PATEL) (08/16/90)

	We are in planning phase for a year long system software dvl
	project. We are working on a UNIX system. We are planning
	to use SCCS for source control.

	1) Is there any other software that is like/better
	   than  SCCS? (preferably from public domain)

	2) Software to manage MRs (modification requests) and
	   QARs (Quality Assurance Report) to track bug fixes
	   during development/field test?

	3) Package that can combine both of these features to
	   keep software in sync with any updates from QARs etc.

	4) Are there any other groups for these questions?

	You may mail me directly. I will post the results
	sometime in the future. Thankx.

						vsp@unx.dec.com

     ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___	Vipul Patel

steve@Pkg.Mcc.COM (Steve Madere) (08/22/90)

To: vsp@hjuxa (35G-PATEL)
Subject: Re: Help on tools like SCCS, SPRs etc..

I've used both SCCS and RCS and I like RCS much better.

This is available under the software engineering directory on
gatekeeper.dec.com with ftp.

By the way, my copy of the RCS doc was apparrently stored under RCS and
because everywhere where they try to describe an RCS expansion macro
(last modification date etc.) what shows up in the doc is not the macro
but its expansion! I quote:

To obtain such identification place the marker
	$Header: /usr/src/local/bin/rcs/dist/RCS/rcs.ms,v 1.1 89/10/30 15:54:06
trinkle Exp $

Does anybody know where I can find a list of the unexpanded macros?

Humorous side note:  Two years ago I had the same problem with the SCCS
doc
	that came with my MicroPort UNIX V 386.  I've NEVER seen the macro doc
	in a useful form.

mcgrew@ichthous.Sun.COM (Darin McGrew) (08/23/90)

steve@Pkg.Mcc.COM (Steve Madere) writes:

>By the way, my copy of the RCS doc was apparrently stored under RCS and
>because everywhere where they try to describe an RCS expansion macro
>(last modification date etc.) what shows up in the doc is not the macro
>but its expansion! I quote:
>
>To obtain such identification place the marker
>	$Header: /usr/src/local/bin/rcs/dist/RCS/rcs.ms,v 1.1 89/10/30 15:54:06
>trinkle Exp $

Sigh.  Sounds like someone didn't know how to imbed a null
character into the macro to prevent it's expansion.

>Does anybody know where I can find a list of the unexpanded macros?

The unexpanded macro is just the expanded macro without the stuff
from the ':' (inclusive) to the '$' (exclusive).  In other words,
the unexpanded macro for "$Header: ...$" is "$Header$".

This is one of the advantages RCS has over SCCS--the ID strings
don't have a special "unexpanded form", so you can't clobber them
by modifying a file, and then going through the checkout/checkin
procedure and replacing the checked-out version with your
modified version.  Of course, the flip side is that there is no
way to preserve existing ID strings other than changing them (eg,
change "$Header: ...$" to "$Old-Header: ...$" in every file).

Darin McGrew			mcgrew@Eng.Sun.COM
Affiliation stated for identification purposes only.