[comp.software-eng] Books on Software Testing

shimeall@cs.nps.navy.mil (Tim Shimeall) (08/18/90)

Here's what I've looked at recently, in terms of available books on
Testing.  I welcome references to other books not included in the
below list.  What do others use in training testers or for reference?

Opinions listed below are mine alone, and reflect no policy or bias on
the part of the Computer Science Department, NPS, the Navy, Dept. of
Defense or the US Government.  Differing opions (with rationales)
welcomed.

The first set are books I use in class, or frequently refer to:

Beizer, Boris, _Software_Testing_Techniques_, Second Edition, Van
Nostrand Reinhold, 1990.
  - Nuts-and-bolts "Here's how to test software" book, not an in-depth
    theory or latest research results book.  The new edition is much
    expanded over the previous one, and updated with current techniques.

Beizer, Boris, _Software_System_Testing_and_Quality_Assurance_, Van
Nostrand Reinhold, 1981.
   - Deals more completely with the issues of multi-level testing of
     software (unit, integration, system).

Miller, Edward and Howden, William E.,
_Tutorial:Software_Testing&Validation_Techniques_, IEEE Press, 1981.
  - A good place to pick up a general understanding of testing work.
    Unfortunately, the book is currently out of print, but you may
    be able to pick it up at a technical library.

Gough, K. John, _Syntax_Analysis_and_Software_Tools_, Addison-Wesley,
1988.
  - A good book covering the mechanics of analyzing program syntax and
    using that analysis in software tools.  Doesn't deal specifically
    with testing tools, but covers syntax analysis in forms that often
    are used in testing tools.

Other testing books:

Myers, Glenford, J., _The_Art_of_Software_Testing_, Wiley, 1979.
  - A classic, and like many classics is showing its age but is still
    worth rereading occasionally.

Redmill, F. J., _Dependability_of_Critical_Computer_Systems_1_,
North-Holland, 1988.
  - A collection of papers by the members of EWICS TC-7.  Some very`
    useful stuff here, including a fairly up-to-date summary of the
    existing techniques for ensuring the quality of software,
    specifying the applicability, advantages and disadvantages of each
    technique and giving references for further investigation.

Howden, William E., _Functional_Program_Testing&Analysis_,
McGraw-Hill, 198?.
  - A good work on the theoretical basics of program testing,
    particuarly structural testing.

ANSI/IEEE Std. 730-1984, _Software_Quality_Assurance_Plans_
ANSI/IEEE Std. 829-1983, _Software_Test_Documentation_
  - Useful to indicate what should be present in test paperwork,
    and for comparing your current practice with the standards.

Hetzel, William C., _The_Complete_Guide_To_Software_Testing, Second
Edition, QED Information Sciences, 1988.
  - A Once-Over of the testing process, with emphasis on management
    aspects.

Dunn, Robert H., _Software_Quality:Concepts_and_Plans_, Prentice-Hall,
1990.
Perry, William E., _A_Structure_Approach_To_Systems_Testing_, Second
Edition, QED Information Sciences, 1988.
Glass, Robert, _Software_Reliability_Guidebook_, Prentice-Hall, 197?.
   - I didn't find these too useful -- IMHO, what they cover is covered
     in more depth and/or more clearly in other books.  Your opinions
     may vary.

jjacobs@well.sf.ca.us (Jeffrey Jacobs) (08/21/90)

Following is a brief bibliography of articles and books on testing and
configuration management:

A Standard for Testing Application Software, W.E. Perry, Auerbach,
ISBN 0-7913-0517-1.  A must have for any serious tester.

Expert System Testing, J.M. Jacobs, C. Chee, bd Systems Inc, Torrance,
CA.  (Although oriented toward testing E.S., contains a good introduction
to testing tools and life-cycle; the rest of this list is the bibliography
for this piece).

Test Data Selection and Quality Estimates Based on the Concept of Essential
Branches for  Path Testing - T. Chusho, IEEE Trans. on S.E., May 1987

A Test Design Methodology for Protocol Testing - B. Sarikaya, G. Bochman,
E. Cerny, IEEE Trans. on S.E. May 1987

Advance in Software Inspection - Michael E. Fagan, IEEE Trans. on S.E.,
July 1986

Comparing the Effectiveness of Software Testing Strategies - V.R. Basili,
R.W. Selby, IEEE Trans. on S.E., Dec. 1987

A Functional Approach to Program Testing and Analysis - W.E. Howden,
IEEE Trans. on S.E., Oct. 1986

Functional Program Testing - W.E. Howden, IEEE Trans. on S.E., March 1980

Quality Measures and Assurance for AI Software, John Rushby, SRI,
SRI-CLS-88-7R, Sept, 1988, Project 4616 (A great read for AI/ES people).

Knowledge Base Verification - T. Nguyen, W. Perkins, T.J. Laffey, D. Pecora,
AI Magazine, SUmmber 1987

An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Symbolic Testing - W.E. Howden,
Software-Practice and Experience, J. Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 1978

Validating Expert System Performance - R. O'Keefe, O. Balci, E. Smith,
IEEE Expert, Winter 1987

Verification and Validation for Expert Systems - James Geissman,
Proceedings of 4th Annual AI & Adv. Computer Technology Conference, 1988

Software Configuration Management - E.H. Bersoff, V.D. Henderson, S.G. Siegel,
Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-821769-6, 1980

TDRSS FIX Processor User's Guide - J.M. Jacobs, TRW, FSCM No. 11982,
No. 29000-500-026, Dec. 1982  (Contact me if you are interested).

Jeffrey M. Jacobs
ConsArt Systems Inc, Technology & Management Consulting
P.O. Box 3016, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
voice: (213)376-3802, E-Mail: 76702.456@COMPUSERVE.COM

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (08/25/90)

In article <19629@well.sf.ca.us> jjacobs@well.sf.ca.us (Jeffrey Jacobs) writes:

>Following is a brief bibliography of articles and books on testing and
>configuration management:
>
>Expert System Testing, J.M. Jacobs, C. Chee, bd Systems Inc, Torrance,
>CA.  (Although oriented toward testing E.S., contains a good introduction
>to testing tools and life-cycle; the rest of this list is the bibliography
>for this piece).

Would anyone have a phone number or address for this outfit? A price and
ISBN for this book would even be better.

Thanks.  Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science                                503/725-3108
Portland State University

jjacobs@well.sf.ca.us (Jeffrey Jacobs) (08/28/90)

bd Systems can be reached @(213)618-8798; ask for Chris Chee or Margie
Power.

This is not a published book, so there is no ISBN #; it was part of a
multi-volume study done for the USAF.  Volumes 1&2 are also of interest
(testing is volume III).