[comp.software-eng] CASE, the Little Red Hen, and Stone Soup

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (08/11/90)

CASE, the Little Red Hen, and Stone Soup
(An CASE industry analysis in fairy tale terms)

Copyright 1990 by Scott L. McGregor

I am concerned about where our industry is going, or rather where it isn't.
I am afraid that we are creating lots of capabilities and possibilities and
few realities and actualities.  I am afraid that there will be a backlash
against what we have done by people who seek for solutions, hear that
CASE has the answer, look past the possibilities in search of the solutions
and disappointed turn away, only to criticize the industry as having
inflated claims.

I believe that many people want applications that will improve their
ability to develop software--with little effort in understanding their
current situation, or where they want to go.  Of course, not everyone
is this way.  Some people DO know their current situation and where they
want to go, and they chose CASE tools to help them get there.  These
are the early adopters of our industry.  But most people don't have the
time, the technical background or the inclination to find out the answers
to these questions--they want the answers to be provided to them.

In some ways, this is like the AI/Expert Systems situation a few years ago.
Expert Systems provided a capability for creating great advisory systems.
People were excited.  Everyone wanted these powerful, accurate and
(hopefully inexpensive) advise systems.  But no one wanted to build
them.  Like in the story of the Little Red Hen, everyone wanted to
eat the bread, but no one wanted to bake it.  It is a lot of trouble
to build and expert system, and you have to be one to build one.
But if you are one, you need one less than someone else who is not.
Of course a generic advice system could be used by anyone, a specialized
one by only a few. How many are those few? Are there enough to pay for
the effort of building such a system? Will they pay enough? Will you be
able to find them?  Will they be able to find you?  It is so problematic
that people pushed the general purpose engines and few specialized systems
that really solved problems for people were sold.

Several years ago, when PCs were brand new, a fellow I used to know
brought home a PC from work and went to show it off to his wife.
They sat down, booted the machine from a floppy, and then he proceeded
to show her how you could start the basic compiler, write a program,
and have it read something such as a name and then have it
print out something.  She typed in her name. He had it print out "Hello,
Fiona!"
She was non-plussed.  "Have it tell me something new!" she said.
He  had type in another name and it printed that out.  "No," she said
"have it say something NEW. Something you didn't tell it."  He explained
to here how with programming you have to know what you want up front
and then the computer does it for you.  He showed her how it could
multiply large numbers."  She was still non-plussed.   "What good is it
if you have to know everything already when you start?" she stated as
she left the room.

I am afraid that this is the situation for all too many software development
managers out there.  They have too much to worry about to have time to
spend on figuring out what they want.  "Do you want to use the
Yourdon methodology? Jackson? James Martin...?"  someone asks.
"I don't give a hoot about any of them--which one will make us
instantly productive."  Meanwhile we develop more systems in the
vein of X-windows: policy free systems. And we suffer from the
same problems of Xinitis--configuration is complex because so many
decisions are left to the user.   But look at how all the
clamour is over added policy, in the form of Motif and Open Look and
style guides.  Companies regard it as an unfortunate burden that they
have to have some expert define and build the company standard configuration
file that everyone else will get.

For many people CASE is stone soup.  In the story of Stone Soup, some
soldiers wander through a small village and ask everyone for some food.
But everyone is suspicious of strangers, especially soldiers who once they
find out what good food they are keeping might steal it by force of arms.
So everyone says they have no food to give them.  Finally, the soldiers
give up and build a great fire in the central square.  They borrow an old
cauldron and fill it with water and put it on the fire.  Then one of
the pulls out some "magic stones" out of his knapsack and puts them in
the pot.  The villagers crowd around to see what the soldiers are doing
and the soldiers say "we are making stone soup."

"I've never heard of stone soup" says a villager, "is it any good?"

"Well," says one of the soldiers, "we'd be glad to let you taste,
but we have so little.  But if you could contribute something to the pot, a
carrot, an onion, a potatoe, a soup bone or a bit of beef, we'd be
glad to share with us, besides, the contribution might improve the
taste."

The villager agrees and runs home and quickly returns with some carrots.
Other villagers become curious as well and each runs home and returns
with something to contribute. Soon the pot is full of vegetables and
beef and chicken.  The soup is served to everyone and everyone agrees
the soup is the best they have ever had thanks to the flavor of the
magic stones.

For many CASE products it is much the same, I think.  The real value
is not in the product, but in the ingredients provided by the customer
themselves in their customization, self-examinations and preparation
for use of the new system.  The CASE product is merely the catalyst.
This isn't to put down the hard work of the developers of CASE
products--I am managing development of one myself.  But I am concerned
by the knowing glances I get whenever I demonstrate one of these  magic
stones.

There are some big challenges ahead for our industry.  We need to develop a
large CASE market with a taste for stone soup, or we are going to have to
learn to make some hard choices and see how individuals respond to
pre-prepared onion soup, chicken noodle, chunky beef and creamy mushroom
soup.  Soups where you just add water, not water where you just add your
favorite soup ingredients.   The challenge is particularly stong for those
of us working on Integrated Project Support Environments (IPSEs)
We may have to build systems with some of the decisions already
made at the factory--and we may succeed or fail based upon the correctness
of our predictions.

So here's to better soup and may we not starve while waiting for
someone else to bake the bread.

--Scott McGregor

jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (08/16/90)

In article <28596@athertn.Atherton.COM> mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) writes:
> I am concerned about where our industry is going, or rather where it isn't.
> I am afraid that we are creating lots of capabilities and possibilities and
> few realities and actualities.  I am afraid that there will be a backlash
> against what we have done by people who seek for solutions, hear that
> CASE has the answer, look past the possibilities in search of the solutions
> and disappointed turn away, only to criticize the industry as having
> inflated claims.

Anyone who thinks "CASE" is one tool or methodology is being
hopelessly naive.  The backlash should be against the specific
companies that are selling useless products.

> I am afraid that this is the situation for all too many software development
> managers out there.  They have too much to worry about to have time to
> spend on figuring out what they want.

Those people then deserve what they get and will get what they deserve.

> For many CASE products it is much the same, I think.  The real value
> is not in the product, but in the ingredients provided by the customer
> themselves in their customization, self-examinations and preparation
> for use of the new system.  The CASE product is merely the catalyst.

If that's how customers want to spend their money, let them.  But if I
were a supplier of that kind of product, I would be wondering about
what I'll be selling to them after they wise up.

--
Jorge A. Gautier| "The enemy is at the gate.  And the enemy is the human mind
jgautier@ads.com|  itself--or lack of it--on this planet."  -General Boy

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (08/18/90)

In article <JGAUTIER.90Aug15151317@deimos.ads.com>,
jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) writes:
>>In article <28596@athertn.Atherton.COM> mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM
(Scott >>McGregor) writes:
>> I am concerned about where our industry is going, or rather where it isn't.
>> I am afraid that we are creating lots of capabilities and possibilities and
>> few realities and actualities.  I am afraid that there will be a backlash
>> against what we have done by people who seek for solutions, hear that
>> CASE has the answer, look past the possibilities in search of the solutions
>> and disappointed turn away, only to criticize the industry as having
>> inflated claims.

>Anyone who thinks "CASE" is one tool or methodology is being
>hopelessly naive.  The backlash should be against the specific
>companies that are selling useless products.

It is not a matter of thinking that CASE is one tool or methodology; it
is that when people try and take specific CASE tools and have them work
TOGETHER that
everything falls apart. In most circumstances you want all the tools you
have to be able to share data and you hope this happens via a repository
such as the one our company provides as an IPSE.  But, most CASE tools
are by *design* HOSTILE to data sharing or having their data stored in
an OODB rather than in a native file system proprietary file/DB format.
When surveys are conducted about what people want out of CASE tools an
ultimate goal is for the tools to share (or hey REUSE) their information
as the engineer(s) move thru the lifecycle.  They become frustrated when
they find that unless they have an IPSE that works real hard to provide
this magic they don't get this.  And so, all CASE tools get tarred with
the same brush...right or wrong.

What we engineers in the CASE industry need to do is champion the idea
of Open Software Subsystems.  We need to do what Jef Poskanzer did for
graphic file formats (with PBM) and generate a PCF (Portable CASE
Format) that is PUBLIC DOMAIN and provided as an option by all vendors
and independent developers to facilitate data sharing among CASE tools.

Vendors would still be able to have their own proprietary files/formats
if they desired...after all it really should be the case that it is
their algorithms that provide the functionality (tho in some
circumstances elegant data structure + algorithms is what does the
magic).  In any case if data could be translated into the PCF then
another tool could be PCF aware implictly and work with the data or
vendors could provide translators that convert to their own format from PCF.

Its not enough to have open operating systems (like unix vendors claim
to be) we need to have open APPLICATIONS software.  I know there are
managers and engineers from various CASE/Software Engineering tool
companies out there--why don't we get busy on this?  We don't need an
IEEE standards committee, we just need to talk and DO IT!

>> I am afraid that this is the situation for all too many software development
>> managers out there.  They have too much to worry about to have time to
>> spend on figuring out what they want.

>Those people then deserve what they get and will get what they deserve.

No its not that simple. These people are in trouble, they are a dichotomy to
the CASE marketplace--on one hand they would really benefit from the
technology and its benefits if all the tools could flow their data thru
the lifecyle; we'd really give them some breathing space to do the right
thing; on the other hand these folks are fighting to keep their systems
and development projects from rigor mortis set in, and if they invest in
CASE only to find that it does not give them the advantages they need
after taking the hit on ramp up and methodology change you find yourself
faced with one very unhappy customer.

If CASE tools/environments would actually cooperate these folks would
probably be beating down CASE vendor doors to get them.  They aren't
pain freaks, they are just smart enough to be wary of new things that
promise the moon, and significantly impact their ALREADY hellish
development schedules/environments.

It is their JOB if they invest the companies resources, (money, people,
time) and it fails.  Being an MIS manager is not a cake walk, I've
watched many of them get blown away in the course of trying to do the
right thing.

>> For many CASE products it is much the same, I think.  The real value
>> is not in the product, but in the ingredients provided by the customer
>> themselves in their customization, self-examinations and preparation
>> for use of the new system.  The CASE product is merely the catalyst.

>If that's how customers want to spend their money, let them.  But if I
>were a supplier of that kind of product, I would be wondering about
>what I'll be selling to them after they wise up.

Hmmm, in some cases they just move to another pigeon, ummm customer, in
others its like drugs. They've already got a company hooked and now they
just say it will all get better in the next release--the management guys
who committed all that money to buying their product are not about to
risk getting in trouble
from their firms management for buying the "bad tool", so they just try
and ride it out.  Other brave souls just toss the product out and get
real cynical about ANY CASE products.

>--
>Jorge A. Gautier| "The enemy is at the gate.  And the enemy is the human mind
>jgautier@ads.com|  itself--or lack of it--on this planet."  -General Boy

	    David Williams -- dlw@atherton.com -- (408) 734-9822 x291
		  Atherton Technology -- The Software BackPlane
		       1333 Bordeaux Drive Sunnyvale, CA 94089
			      "CASE  Environments  R  US"
				   AIX,SunOS,VMS,Ultrix
				            *

jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (08/21/90)

In article <28966@athertn.Atherton.COM> dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) writes:
> It is not a matter of thinking that CASE is one tool or methodology; it
> is that when people try and take specific CASE tools and have them work
> TOGETHER that
> everything falls apart. In most circumstances you want all the tools you
> have to be able to share data and you hope this happens via a repository
> such as the one our company provides as an IPSE.

Do you really think that data sharing (and/or "control" sharing for
that matter) is sufficient to make disparate tools work together?

> But, most CASE tools
> are by *design* HOSTILE to data sharing or having their data stored in
> an OODB rather than in a native file system proprietary file/DB
> format.

They are hostile to working with tools of different design.  Data
sharing by itself won't solve the problem of different design and data
semantics.

> When surveys are conducted about what people want out of CASE tools an
> ultimate goal is for the tools to share (or hey REUSE) their information
> as the engineer(s) move thru the lifecycle.

Well, what I really want is something that helps me create more
software faster and better.  But that aside :-), for tools to work
together they have to be designed to do so.  You might be able to
patch them up with tape and glue, but it is usually awkward, error
prone and unreliable.  Why do some people think that it is easy to
"integrate" tools that were designed with different requirements in
mind?

> If CASE tools/environments would actually cooperate these folks would
> probably be beating down CASE vendor doors to get them.

You seem to assume that cooperating tools implies a useful system.  As
a potential customer, I don't care if "tools cooperate" or not,
because to me, the partitioning and interfaces are arbitrary.  Just
show me what it does for me.  Does it do something useful for me,
better than what I do today?  If not, I won't buy it.

--

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (08/23/90)

   writes:
   > It is not a matter of thinking that CASE is one tool or methodology; it
   > is that when people try and take specific CASE tools and have them work
   > TOGETHER that everything falls apart. In most circumstances you want all
   > the tools you have to be able to share data and you hope this happens
   > via a repository such as the one our company provides as an IPSE.

   Do you really think that data sharing (and/or "control" sharing for
   that matter) is sufficient to make disparate tools work together?

In neither of these statements has the word "tool" been defined.  Without that
definition, you can't say one way or the other whether its "sufficient".  I
think the purposes of the various CASE tools are sufficiently separable that
the only thing needed to be shared amongst them is the data dictionary (note:
I didn't define data dictionary).

   > But, most CASE tools are by *design* HOSTILE to data sharing or having
   > their data stored in an OODB rather than in a native file system
   > proprietary file/DB format.

   They are hostile to working with tools of different design.  Data
   sharing by itself won't solve the problem of different design and data
   semantics.

No, they are hostile to working with tools of different *vendors*.  With
sufficient standards (like, I take it, IPSE) on how tools could supply
information in a form that is useful to other tools and with sufficient vendor
use of the standards, CASE tools can share a lot of information.  Nothing says
that *everything* can be shared, but the differences in data semantics is not
*that* different.

   > When surveys are conducted about what people want out of CASE tools an
   > ultimate goal is for the tools to share (or hey REUSE) their information
   > as the engineer(s) move thru the lifecycle.

   Well, what I really want is something that helps me create more
   software faster and better.  But that aside :-), for tools to work
   together they have to be designed to do so.  You might be able to
   patch them up with tape and glue, but it is usually awkward, error
   prone and unreliable.  Why do some people think that it is easy to
   "integrate" tools that were designed with different requirements in
   mind?

The point is the requirements.  Tools can be designed to work together by
working with a central standard (in this case, the data dictionary).  The
problem is finding such a standard and getting vendors to accept it.  Then
they will "integrate" in quite useful manners.

   > If CASE tools/environments would actually cooperate these folks would
   > probably be beating down CASE vendor doors to get them.

   You seem to assume that cooperating tools implies a useful system.  As
   a potential customer, I don't care if "tools cooperate" or not,
   because to me, the partitioning and interfaces are arbitrary.  Just
   show me what it does for me.  Does it do something useful for me,
   better than what I do today?  If not, I won't buy it.

It seems from your message that you already feel that CASE tools can provide
you with something useful, but don't see the need for cooperating "tools".  A
good reason comes from the UNIX market itself and "open systems".  By having
tools that can cooperate with other tools by providing a standard mechanism
for other tools to use, then buyers of CASE tools are not locked into the
single vendor, they can mix and match as they see fit.  This will drive prices
down due to competition, so the user wins.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (08/24/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Aug22135815@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

> The point is the requirements.  Tools can be designed to work together by
> working with a central standard (in this case, the data dictionary).  The
> problem is finding such a standard and getting vendors to accept it.  Then
> they will "integrate" in quite useful manners.

I agree that tools can be designed to work together, and I believe
that that design should drive the tool integration standard.  However,
I don't believe that the mere fact of the existence of that standard
will magically create useful CASE environments.  If the goal is to
obtain the implementation of a useful CASE environment via tool
integration, I believe the path should be

design of useful          design and impl. of         design and impl. of
CASE env.       -drives-> cooperating tools  -drives->integration standard

                                                          enables

                                                      implementation of
                                                      useful CASE env.

I want to see the design of a useful CASE environment as the "raison
d'etre" for a tool integration standard.  I have not seen such a
design (yet?), so I am not ready to buy tool integration just because it
*could* lead to a useful CASE environment.  I see the value that tool
integration standards could have for a developing industry.  But as a
client, I am interested in the useful CASE environment, not in how
it's implemented.  As a computer scientist, I believe there may be
other paths leading to it.

--

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (08/27/90)

In article <JGAUTIER.90Aug23110527@deimos.ads.com> jgautier@deimos.ads.com
(Jorge Gautier) writes:

   I want to see the design of a useful CASE environment as the "raison
   d'etre" for a tool integration standard.  I have not seen such a
   design (yet?), so I am not ready to buy tool integration just because it
   *could* lead to a useful CASE environment.  I see the value that tool
   integration standards could have for a developing industry.  But as a
   client, I am interested in the useful CASE environment, not in how
   it's implemented.  As a computer scientist, I believe there may be
   other paths leading to it.

Okay, what is a "useful" CASE environment?  (You knew that was coming, didn't
you ;-)  Before designing such an environment, the requirements for such an
environment need to be established.  Anyone got an OORA CASE tool handy? ;-)

jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (08/28/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Aug27000637@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
> Okay, what is a "useful" CASE environment?  (You knew that was coming, didn't
> you ;-)  Before designing such an environment, the requirements for such an
> environment need to be established.  Anyone got an OORA CASE tool handy? ;-)

Bingo.  The requirements are that it helps me create more software
better and faster.  Any technology or methodology is acceptable as
long as it improves the quantity, quality and delivery schedule.
I am waiting for the "CASE" people to come up with a design.
Meanwhile, don't tell me that "tool integration" [sic] is the answer.
"Integrate" means to incorporate parts into a whole; show me the whole
first, and then I might buy the integration method.

--
Jorge A. Gautier| "The enemy is at the gate.  And the enemy is the human mind
jgautier@ads.com|  itself--or lack of it--on this planet."  -General Boy

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (08/28/90)

been said that

>        The requirements are that it helps me create more software
                                            ^^
>better and faster.
 ^^^^^^     ^^^^^^

and that

>                    Any technology or methodology is acceptable as
>long as it improves the quantity, quality and delivery schedule.

Unfortunately, the basic requirements are totally subjective (i.e., valid for
individual work habits and effort but not necessarily valid for people who
have to interact with ithers in developing a system.  By whose standards is the
development "better":  according to a customer's view of the end-product or
some internal measure related to the developers' ease?  How fast does it have
to do this:  just somewhat faster than someone, alone, can do it now or faster
for a couple hundred people?

I'm not defending CASE tools by any means, but requirements based on just one
person's needs and standards don't help an entire industry deal with the issue
of CASE.  Perhaps CASE's biggest problem (and that of most tech transfer) is
that just "[a]ny technology or methodology is [not] acceptable" to people,
especially the latter.  The implied methodologies behind many CASE tools and
environments are just what many complain about.  That is the methodology or
practice offered by the CASE tool(s) (e.g., balancing data-flow diagrams) are
not what they currently use to do create software, so asking them to do it is
adding work, at least to their individual piece of the effort.

>I am waiting for the "CASE" people to come up with a design.
>Meanwhile, don't tell me that "tool integration" [sic] is the answer.
>"Integrate" means to incorporate parts into a whole; show me the whole
>first, and then I might buy the integration method.

I think this is a valid comment; however, what many industry customers of CASE
seem to be asking for is the integration approach, i.e., flexibility in mixing
and matching pieces rather than a monolithic whole.  They seem to be saying
that they'd prefer an approach that offers them choices, rather than locking
them into, potentially, a single vendor for their CASE environment.  The
"whole" is likely to be from the perspective of a single vendor unless many
major vendors team up to agree on an architecture.  (I realize this is happen-
ing, to some extent, in the mainframe marketplace but, at the moment, just for
that market and only for more traditional business data processing applications
where many large CASE vendors focus their attention.)

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (908-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (08/28/90)

Sorry for the mix ups in that last posting.  I had a screen display problem
which, apparently, obscured what was actually in the posting.  Here's a cor-
rected version.

been said that

>        The requirements are that it helps me create more software
                                            ^^
>better and faster.
 ^^^^^^     ^^^^^^

and that

>                    Any technology or methodology is acceptable as
>long as it improves the quantity, quality and delivery schedule.

Unfortunately, the basic requirements are totally subjective, i.e., valid for
individual work habits and effort but not necessarily valid for people who
have to interact with others in developing a system.  By whose standards is the
development "better":  according to a customer's view of the end-product or
some internal measure related to the developers' ease?  How fast does it have
to do this:  just somewhat faster than someone, alone, can do it now or faster
for a couple hundred people?

I'm not defending CASE tools by any means, but requirements based on just one
person's needs and standards don't help an entire industry deal with the issue
of CASE.  Perhaps CASE's biggest problem (and that of most tech transfer) is
that just "[a]ny technology or methodology is [not] acceptable" to people,
especially the latter.  The implied methodologies behind many CASE tools and
environments are just what many complain about.  That is, the methodology or
practice offered by the CASE tool(s) (e.g., balancing data-flow diagrams) is
not what many currently use to create software, so asking them to do it is

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (08/29/90)

In article <JGAUTIER.90Aug27121540@deimos.ads.com> jgautier@deimos.ads.com
(Jorge Gautier) writes:

   In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Aug27000637@uunet.UU.NET>
   cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
   > Okay, what is a "useful" CASE environment?  (You knew that was coming,
   > didn't you ;-)  Before designing such an environment, the requirements
   > for such an environment need to be established.  Anyone got an OORA CASE
   > tool handy? ;-)

   Bingo.  The requirements are that it helps me create more software
   better and faster.  Any technology or methodology is acceptable as
   long as it improves the quantity, quality and delivery schedule.
   I am waiting for the "CASE" people to come up with a design.
   Meanwhile, don't tell me that "tool integration" [sic] is the answer.
   "Integrate" means to incorporate parts into a whole; show me the whole
   first, and then I might buy the integration method.

Aw, come on - you know better than this.  Your first statement is not a valid
requirement - its just a vague expression of a desire.  CASE means Computer
Aided Software Engineering which presumes that there already is something
called software engineering.  There are many, many "whole" methods for doing
software engineering (functional decomposition, object orientation, event
simulation, behavioral, etc.) - choose your favorite.  CASE tools merely
implement pieces of these methodologies in a manner that someone has said
helps their understanding of the problem (one user might prefer a graphical
tool, another might prefer something more spreadsheet oriented).  Tool
integration is not meant to build a new method of doing software development,
only allow those tools that implement parts of the method to work together.
Done in a standard way, the tools need not come from the same vendor.

jgautier@deimos.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (08/29/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Aug28104543@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>  In article <JGAUTIER.90Aug27121540@deimos.ads.com> jgautier@deimos.ads.com
>  (Jorge Gautier) writes:
>     Bingo.  The requirements are that it helps me create more software
>     better and faster.  Any technology or methodology is acceptable as
>     long as it improves the quantity, quality and delivery schedule.
>     I am waiting for the "CASE" people to come up with a design.
>     Meanwhile, don't tell me that "tool integration" [sic] is the answer.
>     "Integrate" means to incorporate parts into a whole; show me the whole
>     first, and then I might buy the integration method.
>
> Aw, come on - you know better than this.  Your first statement is not a valid
> requirement - its just a vague expression of a desire.

OK, how about lowering the cost of software development?  Is that
objective enough?  My vague expressions are desiderata that could
lower that cost.  Time is money.  Faster development and more software
per unit time and less time fixing defects lowers the cost.  Surely
time and money can be measured.

> CASE means Computer
> Aided Software Engineering which presumes that there already is something
> called software engineering.  There are many, many "whole" methods for doing
> software engineering (functional decomposition, object orientation, event
> simulation, behavioral, etc.) - choose your favorite.

Agreed.  Let's keep the SE in CASE.  Merry CASEmas.

> CASE tools merely
> implement pieces of these methodologies in a manner that someone has said
> helps their understanding of the problem (one user might prefer a graphical
> tool, another might prefer something more spreadsheet oriented).  Tool
> integration is not meant to build a new method of doing software development,
> only allow those tools that implement parts of the method to work together.
> Done in a standard way, the tools need not come from the same vendor.

But I still haven't seen a whole computer assisted method that could
significantly lower the cost of software development.  The existing
tools I've seen are so limited in scope and so disparate in design that I
doubt much value could be gained from their integration.  Obviously
the intention of tool integration standards must be to persuade CASE tool
developers to design new tools or redesign existing ones so that they
"work together".  If this produces an effective cost-lowering CASE
environment, great.  My point is that tool integration as I have seen
it (databases, messages, etc.) is not sufficient to produce such an
environment; a deliberate design will be required, and that's what I
haven't seen to this day.
--
Jorge A. Gautier| "The enemy is at the gate.  And the enemy is the human mind
jgautier@ads.com|  itself--or lack of it--on this planet."  -General Boy
I speak for myself and for no one else.