bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) (08/31/90)

(See also note at end
on TOOLS PACIFIC 90,
Nov. 28-30).

                              TOOLS '91

                    Technology of Object-Oriented

                        Languages and Systems

               INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION

              CNIT Paris (La Defense), March 4-8, 1991

               FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

     TOOLS  '91  will  continue  the  tradition  of  excellence   and
practicality established by TOOLS '89 and '90. TOOLS '91 will include
tutorials, workshops, invited presentations, submitted papers, and an
exhibition of industrial and research object-oriented tools.

     The program chairman is Jean Bezivin; the conference chairman is
Bertrand Meyer.

     The conference format will include:

     + Tutorials (on March 4-5) addressing major topics in the  field
       of object-oriented methods, languages, tools and applications.

     +  Invited  presentations   by   international   object-oriented
       experts.

     + Submitted papers on important  practical  aspects  of  object-
       oriented techniques.

     +   Demonstrations   of   object-oriented   tools,    languages,
       environments, databases and their applications.

     The conference will once again be held in the exciting new  CNIT
center  in  Paris  (La  Defense),  a  business  and conference center
devoted entirely to technologies of the future.

SUBMITTING A PAPER

     TOOLS '91 is now soliciting papers on  all  aspects  of  object-
oriented  technology.  All  submitted  papers  should  have  a strong
practical bent and emphasize applications. A non-exhaustive  list  of
suggested topics includes:

     + Reports of actual experiences with object-oriented  tools  and
       methods.

     + New developments in the technology.

     + Development and use of reusable component libraries.

     + Management and educational issues.

     A document entitled "Guidelines for prospective TOOLS authors" is
available  from  the conference organizers. If you intend to submit a
paper, please return the coupon on  the  back  of  this  announcement
after  checking the appropriate box. You will receive the Guidelines,
which will help you  maximize  your  chances  of  getting  the  paper
accepted.

     Submissions may be made in the form of either full papers (8  to
15  single-spaced  pages)  or  extended  abstracts  (5  or more pages
including basic bibliography).  Submissions will be evaluated by  the
International  Program  Committee, chaired by Professor Jean Be'zivin
of the University of Nantes. Six copies of each submission should  be
sent to:

     TOOLS '91
     Attn: Jean Be'zivin
     Laboratoire d'Informatique, Faculte' des Sciences et Techniques
     Universite' de Nantes
     2, rue de la Hoursinie`re 44072 Nantes Cedex  (France)
     Electronic mail: uunet!geocub.greco-prog.fr!bezivin (from the US)
          geocub.greco-prog.fr!bezivin (from Europe)

IMPORTANT DATES

     All submissions must be received  by  November  1,  1990  to  be
considered  for inclusion in the conference. Submissions should be in
English.  Notification of acceptance will be mailed  by  December  1;
final manuscripts will be due January 15.

THE INTERNATIONAL OBJECT-ORIENTED WEEK

     One  of  the  most  exciting  parts  of  TOOLS   '90   was   the
International  Object-Oriented Programming Week, a set of meetings on
topics related to the theme of TOOLS.  Friday, March 8 has  been  set
aside for independently organized events, such as User Group meetings
or standardization committees.

     The TOOLS '91 organizers will help coordinate and publicize such
events  if  they fall within the scope of object-oriented techniques,
and will include the announcements in the final  TOOLS  program.   If
you  are  interested in setting up such a meeting, please contact the
TOOLS organizers for details.

FURTHER INFORMATION

     For further information please return the coupon below to:
     TOOLS '91
     SOL, 14 rue Jean Rey 75015 Paris (France)
     Telephone +33 - 1 40 56 03 58, Fax +33 - 1 40 56 05 81

[Note added to the Usenet version of this text: the coupon below
is extracted from the paper version. If you prefer to send an electronic
form of the to me at bertrand@eiffel.com, I will forward it - B.M.]

Please send me further announcements about TOOLS '91

Name, address, telephone, fax, E-mail:

Please check the appropriate boxes:

I attended TOOLS '89 / /        TOOLS '90 / /

/ / I intend to submit a paper. Please send  me  the  Guidelines  for
Prospective TOOLS authors.

NOTE: TOOLS PACIFIC '90

	A special edition of the TOOLS conference  will be held in Sydney
on November  28-30,  1990. The  program  co-chairs are  Jean Bezivin,
Mario  Tokoro  and  John  Potter.  For  any  information  contact the
organizers at the address above.

-- Bertrand Meyer
bertrand@eiffel.com

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/01/90)

bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) writes:

|               FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

Are any of these papers going to be made available freely? Or do we have to
go and buy them? Is this an advertisement?

Sean

(Who is tired of seeing "Call for Papers" posted to 100,000 systems, and
then seeing the "papers" in the bookstore bound for the low low price of
$50-$150.)
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  rec.pyrotechnics: "Blow up or shut up."

render@cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) (09/03/90)

In article <sean.652197180@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) writes:
>
>|               FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>Are any of these papers going to be made available freely? Or do we have to
>go and buy them? Is this an advertisement?

I don't understand what you are complaining about.  A call for papers is
just an announcement that some group wants papers to include in some
forum or journal.  There's no implication that the papers will be freely
available.  If you want to restrict announcements of conferences
to those that don't charge for a copy of the proceedings, then you are
basically saying that you don't want conference announcements here.  I
myself have no problem with conference announcments being in both
news.announce.conferences and whatever comp.* group has the closest
relationship to the subject.  Part of this is because I hope to publish
in some of these places, and part of it is because I like to know what's
going on.  My alternative would be to pay for a journal that had these
conference announcements in them.

If, however, you are saying that you object to the high price of proceedings,
then I agree with you.  I was principal author on a paper published in a
proceedings as a grad student, and they still wanted me to pay $40 for a copy
of the proceedings.  That may not mean much to the average working CS person,
but to a grad student, that's a sizeable chunk of a month's pay.  I was
reluctant to make my grant pay for it, and consequently I still don't
have a copy of the proceedings.

hal.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/03/90)

render@cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) writes:

|If, however, you are saying that you object to the high price of proceedings,

That's pretty much what I object to. They use our resources to make a worldwide
call for papers, and then sell the bound journals at outrageous prices that
students can't afford. I saw a collection of Siggraph papers for $136!!!

So whenever I see a "Call for Papers" I'm going to keep pointing this out
until either people start saying "Hey! This *is* a ripoff!" or I determine
that I simply can't make any changes.

Educational materials, especially those gathered using the aid of this
network, should not be priced outrageously. Ideally, they would be done in
a non-profit fashion for the cost of printing, binding, and labor, but that
would be too much to hope for.

Sean
--

giacomet@venus.ecn.purdue.edu (Frederic B Giacometti) (09/03/90)

In article <sean.652307854@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>render@cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) writes:
>
>|If, however, you are saying that you object to the high price of proceedings,
>
>That's pretty much what I object to. They use our resources to make a worldwide
>call for papers, and then sell the bound journals at outrageous prices that
>students can't afford. I saw a collection of Siggraph papers for $136!!!

And can't your library afford it ? Don't be ridiculous, please. Wouldn't
you rather have something to say about the 50 - 80 $ textbooks you are
requested to buy, your "expensive" tuitions, the overpriced registration
fees, and whatever expenses ...  Please, if you're a grad. student, ask
your library to get them for you and stop whinning in this newsgroup.
Anyway, which grad student would ever buy a Siggraph paper, even if it was
priced $10 ?

Frederic Giacometti

giacomet@venus.ecn.purdue.edu (Frederic B Giacometti) writes:

|And can't your library afford it ? Don't be ridiculous, please. Wouldn't
|you rather have something to say about the 50 - 80 $ textbooks you are
|requested to buy, your "expensive" tuitions, the overpriced registration
|fees, and whatever expenses ...  Please, if you're a grad. student, ask
|your library to get them for you and stop whinning in this newsgroup.
|Anyway, which grad student would ever buy a Siggraph paper, even if it was
|priced $10 ?

What a pathetic view of students, and what an optimistic view of libraries.

Why don't students just check out their textbooks from the library? Ever
wonder, hmmmm? I guess I shouldn't own a copy of "The C Programming Language"
or the LaTeX reference manual. Hey! I shouldn't own any books at all. I'll
just check them out of the library.

No one is being ridiculous here. These conferences are using our resources
to get papers, and then selling those papers at ridiculous prices. One author
here said he couldn't afford to buy his own paper!

Protesting isn't whining. It's trying to get something done.

Sean
--

render@cs.uiuc.edu (Hal Render) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep2.230249.7858@ecn.purdue.edu> giacomet@venus.ecn.purdue.edu (Frederic B Giacometti) writes:
>In article <sean.652307854@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>> ... They use our resources to make a worldwide
>>call for papers, and then sell the bound journals at outrageous prices that
>>students can't afford. I saw a collection of Siggraph papers for $136!!!
>
>And can't your library afford it? Don't be ridiculous, please. Wouldn't
>you rather have something to say about the 50 - 80 $ textbooks you are
>requested to buy, your "expensive" tuitions, the overpriced registration
>fees, and whatever expenses ...

Truth be told, my old department's library (U. of Illinois) *couldn't*
afford to buy a proceedings I wanted because they had already spent their
allotted money halfway through the year.  Given what people elsewhere have told
me, this is not an uncommon occurrence.  Libraries are given only a finite
amount of money, and given the size of the average user community, it is
unrealistic to expect them to be able to afford to buy everything that
someone wants.  Thus, the student is often left to buy the things for himself.

Now it is true that books, tuition, and registration are expensive, but
at least those expenses can usually be justified by the cost of providing
the goods or service.  It is harder to understand why a paper-bound,
300-page proceedings printed on cheap stock and for which the authors had
to do all of the formatting costs $80.  That's what the proceedings with
my paper in it costs, and that's the reason I don't have my own copy.

>Anyway, which grad student would ever buy a Siggraph paper, even if it was
>priced $10 ?

Nobody in their right mind would pay $10 for a single paper, but I know
a lot of grad students who would pay $10 for a proceedings.  Hell, I know
several who pay the list price.

hal.

bs@alice.UUCP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (09/04/90)

It might be worth noting that different conferences have very
different aims and are sponsored by very different organizations.
Conferences sponsored by non-profit organizations such as ACM,
IEEE, USENIX can usually be trusted to be run for the benefits
of their members. They have acceptance criteria, fee structure,
proceedings distribution, etc. that reflect that.

Other organizations have aims that are not as clear cut. For example,
conferences run by publishing houses, such as "Software Development"
(Miller Friedman Publications) and "C++ at Work" (SIGS publications
and the Wang institute of Boston University), seem to have the double
goal of making a profit and make the publishing house's journals
(e.g. Computer Language Magazine and The Journal of Object-Oriented
Programming) more pupular to readers, authors, and advertisers alike.

Other conferences, such as "DEC World," clearly exist for the benefit
of their owner; the - often considerable - benefits to the participants
are secondary.

There are room for a lot of different kinds of conferences, but IMHO
conferences should make it very clear who puts up the initial cash and
who takes the profits (if any). Only then can speakers know on which
basis their papers are accepted and only then can participants have
a chance to know what they are letting themselves in for.

macrakis@osf.fr (Stavros Macrakis) (09/04/90)

This is ridiculous.

1) Most Calls for Papers are published by non-profit organizations
which try to make a good deal with their printers or publishers
(depending on how they organize things); part of the proceedings cost
probably goes towards the conference expenses.  Siggraph proceedings
(in particular) are expensive because they have a small press run,
they are well produced (good paper, high resolution, etc.), and
include many photographs, of which many in color.

2) I don't have any specifics about the Tools conference.  Do you have
any reason to believe that its proceedings will be particularly
expensive?

3) Libraries should indeed systematically collect works of general
value, such as major conference proceedings (assuming of course that
your institution does related work).  If your library does not have
the budget for this, you should complain.  This is a very legitimate
complaint.  You will probably be supported in your complaint by your
professors.

4) Libraries do not buy textbooks for several reasons: 1) it is
presumed more effective to have each student have his/her own copy 2)
new editions come out often 3) they don't have the budget 4) students
are presumed to want to keep their textbooks as references 5)
textbooks (like skin magazines) are often stolen.

5) The exchange of information on conferences, proceedings, books,
etc. is an important function of the net.  Let's enhance this
function, not stifle it!

michael@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Michael Muller) (09/04/90)

yeow.  Hey, folks, let's do the rest of this debate by email, okay?

Thanks,  Michael
--
Michael Muller  Bellcore  444 Hoes Lane  Piscataway, N.J.  08854  US
                ..!bellcore!ctt!michael  (201) 699 4892
Michael Muller  Bellcore  444 Hoes Lane  Piscataway, N.J.  08854  US
                ..!bellcore!ctt!michael  (201) 699 4892
                michael@bellcore.com

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (09/05/90)

In article <sean.652307854@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

... some stuff objecting to call for papers being posted ...
>They use our resources to make a worldwide
>call for papers, and then sell the bound journals at outrageous prices that
>students can't afford. I saw a collection of Siggraph papers for $136!!!

why are these just *your* resources? Almost all of the call for papers you're
referring to are posted by volunteer organizers of the conferences - no one
involved with organizing *any* ACM/IEEE (nor most others) conference gets
a penny out of the deal (except for the headquarters staff whose involvement
is minimal). I've not done anything with SIGGRAPH, but I have served as
Treasurer/Registrar for the SIGPLAN annual conference and I helped out
with an ACM CSC or two in my grad student days. I can honestly
tell you no one is getting rich off the proceeds. In every case, the net is
the organizer's resource too. The people who respond to the call for papers
also can claim the net as their resource - most of them don't complain.
Further, the net is not the sole distribution medium for the call for papers,
most people also send out flyers, list their event in ACM CACM (for free)
and IEEE Computer (for free) and many other magazines (for free).

Also, extra proceedings, etc. which *are* sold after the conference are used
as additional revenue to help front the following year's conference. A small
conference (~400 people) will cost upwards of $200,000 to put on once the hotel
space, lunches, etc. are paid for. I understand SIGGRAPH is *huge* - I can
only guess at their costs. Most pro forma budgets include a line item for
extra copies of proceedings which will be sold afterwords. This additional
revenue source also allows us to keep registration fees relatively low
(compare fees for an ACM conference with one of the true profit motivated
conferences such as the CASE expo DCI puts on - registration will be $200-
$300 at an ACM event, $1,000 or more at the profit making conference) In
addition, the "profits" generated by a conference sponsored by an ACM SIG
or an IEEE TC will help fund that organization too. This allows the
special interest group to fund smaller conferences which would otherwise
not break even.

I hope you can understand that just like the publishers of your textbooks
the proceedings which are sold after the fact have to cover more than just
their printing costs.

There are alternatives to buying a proceedings - if you're a student. If
it is for educational use, you can make photocopies from the library copies
or a copy borrowed from a faculty member. Likewise, when a conference is
within reasonable driving distance, contact the registrar a month
or so before it starts. There are typically *significant* student discounts
for registration (often as much as a 75% discount - this is also funded by
those extra copies of proceedings) which will include a proceedings. Also
most registrars *love* to have volunteers to help with registration - getting
400 people signed up in one morning isn't fun by yourself! Students can
almost *always* get free registration this way. Many times a local school
will have low cost student rooms you can rent too, in order to avoid paying
for a hotel room if it's not within commuting distance.

>So whenever I see a "Call for Papers" I'm going to keep pointing this out
>until either people start saying "Hey! This *is* a ripoff!" or I determine
>that I simply can't make any changes.

This isn't a ripoff. However, it *is* a good question. I hope I was
able to explain why the cost of conference proceedings are so seemingly high.

>Educational materials, especially those gathered using the aid of this
>network, should not be priced outrageously. Ideally, they would be done in
>a non-profit fashion for the cost of printing, binding, and labor, but that
>would be too much to hope for.

As I pointed out, the cost of producing the materials *has* to include the
cost of organizing the conference (the purpose of the conference by the way
is *not* to produce proceedings like a magazine or book, but to hold an event
and provide attendees with a record of what went on - whatever extras are
left are sold, but there is no intention to stock any book stores).

>Sean
>--
>***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
>***  rec.pyrotechnics: "Blow up or shut up."

Warren
Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science                                503/725-3108
Portland State University