[comp.software-eng] Looking for a good periodical

lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) (10/05/90)

  I am looking for a magazine(s) that will keep me informed and up to date
regarding software engineering.  I see the IEEE magazine mentioned, but is
it not slanted to hardware?  I have also heard about the Communications
of the ACM, how is it?  I am looking for suggestions and comments, but even
more important is subscription and enrollment info (cost and addresses).

  Thanks very much for the info (in advance)!

~~  Len Bauer                         lab@ccird4.UUCP                        ~~
~~  97 Humboldt St.                   Yankees, Islanders, Jets, Knicks       ~~
~~  Rochester NY. 14609               Mark Martin, and anybody in a FORD!    ~~
~~  716-482-5000  x3105                                                      ~~

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (10/09/90)

In article <40499@cci632.UUCP>, lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:

>   I am looking for a magazine(s) that will keep me informed and up to date
> regarding software engineering.  I see the IEEE magazine mentioned, but is
> it not slanted to hardware?  I have also heard about the Communications
> of the ACM, how is it?  I am looking for suggestions and comments, but even
> more important is subscription and enrollment info (cost and addresses).

There are many IEEE magazines.  IEEE Computer often does include many
"hardware"
articles, but IEEE Software never does.  IEEE Transactions on Software
Engineering
is focussed on the area you are interested in. Call IEEE at 1-800-678-4333 for
more info. ACM has many journals too.  Communications of the ACM has
articles on both
hardware and software.  SIGSOFT is the ACM special interest group you
can join that
focuses on Software Engineering, they publish a newsletter, hold
conferences, etc.
Contact the ACM at 212-869-7440.

I suggest taking a look at the ACM and IEEE periodicals in a technical
library before
signing up for a subscription.  I've seen people find that the
magazine's content wasn't
what they expected, and that they later found that one that was what
they were looking
for was a different journal.  There's quite a few to select from and
some tend to be
very mathematical, others more anecdotal, some focussed on lab research,
others on
commercial world practice, and some a mix.  So check them out and see
for yourself.

Scott McGregor
just a long standing IEEE CS and ACM member

andyo@glasperl.masscomp (Andy Oram) (10/09/90)

Any one familiar with Software Engineering Journal, put out by the British
group, Institute of Electrical Engineers (or something very close to that)?
I've seen only one issue, but thought it looked good.  Not on the cutting
edge, like IEEE Transactions and Software Engineering Notes, but containing
strong theoretical presentations of pretty solid techniques.  I'd like to hear
from experts with opinions (e-mail or post).

Andrew Oram                            Concurrent Computer Corporation
(I don't represent Concurrent; this message represents my own opinion)

Digital Communications Route: andyo@westford.ccur.com
                              {harvard,uunet,petsd}!masscomp!andyo
Analog Communications Route:  (508) 392-2865

Automatic UN*X documentation utility:

          cref | compress | crypt | man