[comp.software-eng] Code Coverage Improvement

donm@margot.Eng.Sun.COM (Don Miller) (10/18/90)

In article <1040@tglobe2.tollpost-globe> kjell@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Kjell J. Isaksen) writes:
>Practical use of CASE tools. / Software throug Pictures
>
>I hope by this posting to set off a broader discussion of
>practical use of CASE tools withing software engineering.
>
>We are trying to benefit from the use of four of the StP
>editors DFE (data flow), DSE (data structure), ERE (entity
>relationship) and SCE (Structure chart).

I wonder if StP, or other CASE tools, can provide me with a function
I need.  I would like to be able to follow a variable back through
a C program.  This would involve tracking and showing all the
transformations the variable makes as it is used, passed as a parameter,
changed, initialized, and defined.  This means tracking the logical data
entities since the name, type, and value would change.

The reason I would like this functionality is for a code coverage
improvement process.  There are tools on the market which are able
to determine coverage and show uncovered code.  What I need is a way
to determine how to execute that uncovered code.  This generally
involves forcing the controlling conditionals to follow a certain
path.  Thus, the variables within the conditionals become critical.

If I could find out how to provide the appropriate test input to
make the data transformations force the appropriate path to be taken
I'd be a happy man.  If anyone knows of such a tool, or has another
methodology for improving code coverage from a tester's, not developer's,
perspective, please respond.

Thanks

--
Don Miller                              |   #include <std.disclaimer>
Software Quality Engineering            |   #define flame_retardent \