[comp.software-eng] Software throuh Pictures.

kjell@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Kjell J. Isaksen) (10/17/90)

Practical use of CASE tools. / Software throug Pictures

I hope by this posting to set off a broader discussion of
practical use of CASE tools withing software engineering.
We are mostly interested in getting in contact with people
who use Software through Pictures (StP), but will also
participate in any more general discuccion.

We are trying to benefit from the use of four of the StP
editors DFE (data flow), DSE (data structure), ERE (entity
relationship) and SCE (Structure chart).

We are currently having problems with the combination of
DSE and ERE. That is, we cannot use the same names in DSE and ERE.
StP responds with a message indicating that this name is already
defined.

Can anybody help me or comment this problem ?

-------------------K J E L L------------------------

Kjell J. Isaksen            !
TOLLPOST-GLOBE A/S          !
Systems dep.                !
P.O.Box 100                 !
N-6301 ]ndalsnes            !
NORWAY.                     !
!mcsun!uucp!tglobe2!kjell   !

mike@pmafire.UUCP (mike caldwell) (10/19/90)

In article <1040@tglobe2.tollpost-globe> kjell@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Kjell J. Isaksen) writes:
>Practical use of CASE tools. / Software throug Pictures
>.... (information about STP)
>
>We are currently having problems with the combination of
>DSE and ERE. That is, we cannot use the same names in DSE and ERE.
>StP responds with a message indicating that this name is already
>defined.
>
>Can anybody help me or comment this problem ?

The way I look at DSE and ERE is that they are mutually exclusive ways
of defining data.  Since STP keeps a dictionary of all defined data, it
doesn't allow you to define the same data (same name) two different ways.

I think that allowing both would cause a lot of problems like:
Which one would be correct?  When would you want to use one and when
would you want to use the other?

These comments are brought to you by satisfied novice user.  What does
IDE have to say?

Mike

--
Mike Caldwell (mike@pmafire.UUCP or mike@inel.gov)