[comp.software-eng] ** software tools which support group work **

siping@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Siping Liu) (10/16/90)

Someone told me that there exists some tool(s) on UNIX which supports
software development in group and the functionality is at
a level higher than SCCS. Can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks in advance.

siping@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) (10/16/90)

In article <883@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> siping@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Siping Liu) writes:
>Someone told me that there exists some tool(s) on UNIX which supports
>software development in group and the functionality is at
>a level higher than SCCS. Can someone tell me what it is?

I'm posting rather than e-mailing because I want to make a follow on
question.

A few years ago, Sun was touting the creation of NSE - Network Software
Environment, or some such.  In fact, I remember reading an article (I
think in SunTechnology mag) about what a great team they had and what
a NEAT thing this was and how it was going to revolutionize software
development, etc. (ad nauseum).

I would think the answer to the above question should be something
like NSE.  My follow on question is:  Where the heck is it and is
anyone really using it????

Just curious...

slw@sprite.icd.ab.com (Shoshana L. Wodzisz) (10/16/90)

These types of tools are generally known as "Configuration
Management" tools.  NSE is an integrated environment which SUN
has come out with to graphically aid you in managing your software.
We evaluated it and many many other packages.  None seemed to
fit what we wanted (some even core dumped), so we're writing our
own on top of SCCS.

BTW - the main reason we vetoed NSE was because it ran on SUNs *ONLY* !
We didn't want this restriction imposed upon us.
  Shoshana L. Wodzisz @ Allen-Bradley Company, In lovely Cleveland Ohio
  ... !{cwjcc, decvax, pyramid, uunet}!abvax!slw

runyan@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Mark Runyan) (10/17/90)

>/ siping@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Siping Liu) / 10:06 am  Oct 15, 1990 /
>Someone told me that there exists some tool(s) on UNIX which supports
>software development in group and the functionality is at
>a level higher than SCCS. Can someone tell me what it is?

Your question is sort of open ended, so I'm going to make some rash
assumptions and let you (and others) correct me as I go...

SPMS - Software Project Management System
   This tool sent is part of the 'contributed' software from the Berkley
   releases.  It is suppose to assist project teams in developing code for
   projects.  (No recommendations as I've not used it).

DSEE - Domain Software Engineering Environment
   This tool package takes care of virtually any software configuration
   management problem you might face.  Unfortunately, it only runs on
   Apollo systems (at present).  (Highly recommended if you have Apollo
   machines).

Synchronize   (from Crosswinds Technology, Inc)
   This tool is an X-oriented calendar program that helps your project
   team to schedule appointments for meetings and group related events.
   It doesn't do anything for software configuration, but if you have
   to work in a large group, this tool is a definite plus for scheduling
   those inevitable meetings.  (Highly recommended if you are an X user)

Amplify  (from CaseWare, Inc)
   This is an X-orented software configuration system.  It appears to
   be customizable and very graphic oriented.  (No recommendations as
   I've not used it).

Aide-De-Camp  (from Software Maintenance & Development Systems)
   This is a software configuration management system.  (No recommendations
   or in depth information since I haven't had a chance to review it)

Configuration Management Facility  (from Expertware, Inc)
   This is a software configuration management system.  (No recommendations
   or in depth information since I haven't had a chance to review it)

Software through Pictures/SA  (from Interactive Development Environments)
    This is a graphical Structured Analysis tool that allows project teams
    to work together in the analysis and design of a project.  It is suppose
    to have an interface to SCCS for version control.  It appears to require
    an X-system.  (No recommendations as I haven't used it)

These are just a few of the systems that I'm aware of.  I'm sure others
can (and should) be added to this list, and more information can probably
be added to each of the summaries.

Mark Runyan

dmb@ns.network.com (Duane M. Butler) (10/17/90)

In article <569@roo.UUCP> carpente@corinth.UUCP (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) writes:
>A few years ago, Sun was touting the creation of NSE - Network Software
>Environment, or some such.  In fact, I remember reading an article (I
>think in SunTechnology mag) about what a great team they had and what
>a NEAT thing this was and how it was going to revolutionize software
>development, etc. (ad nauseum).
>
>I would think the answer to the above question should be something
>like NSE.  My follow on question is:  Where the heck is it and is
>anyone really using it????
>
>Just curious...

NSE - Network Software Environment

We have been using NSE for some time now on a project involving multiple
programmers.  I first heard of NSE through reading a Sun technical report,
and got so excited I convinced management we should buy it.  Let me say that
NSE is the *best* programming enviromnent I've ever seen.  Version control
is just a small part of what it does.  The best part of NSE is that is does
almost all of its magic behind the scenes.  For the most part, working under
NSE environment is just like not working under NSE.  For us, it solves *real*
problems that occur in our multi-programmer environment.  I'm sorry I can't
go into real detail about NSE; I haven't found a good way to describe it in
few words.  I would suggest anyone interested to contact a local Sun rep. and
ask for the NSE Technical Report.  The report does an excellent job of
describing the NSE, and from our experience, NSE delievers on everything
described in the report.

Keep in mind that I have no relationship to Sun, except as a satisified
customer.

duane.

daigle@apollo.HP.COM (Joe Daigle) (10/18/90)

OSBU North) writes:
|> In article <883@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>
siping@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Siping Liu) writes:
|> >Someone told me that there exists some tool(s) on UNIX which supports
|> >software development in group and the functionality is at
|> >a level higher than SCCS. Can someone tell me what it is?
|>
|> I'm posting rather than e-mailing because I want to make a follow on
|> question.
|>
|> A few years ago, Sun was touting the creation of NSE - Network Software
|> Environment, or some such.  In fact, I remember reading an article (I
|> think in SunTechnology mag) about what a great team they had and what
|> a NEAT thing this was and how it was going to revolutionize software
|> development, etc. (ad nauseum).
|>
|> I would think the answer to the above question should be something
|> like NSE.  My follow on question is:  Where the heck is it and is
|> anyone really using it????
|>
|> Just curious...

I cannot speak for NSE,  but you may want to consider DSEE from
HP/Apollo.  If you are interested, then contact  me and I will put you in touch
with our marketing organization for Apollo CASE.

Joseph W. Daigle

DSEE Project Team
Computer Aided Software Engineering
Apollo Computer           A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
MS CHD-02-CS              508/256-6600  x4227
250 Apollo Drive          EMail: daigle@apollo.hp.com
Chelmsford, MA 01824      HP TN: 256-4227

"Don't blame me, I didn't name it 'dizzy'"

stu@gtisqr.uucp (Stu Donaldson) (10/25/90)

>/ siping@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Siping Liu) / 10:06 am  Oct 15, 1990 /
>Someone told me that there exists some tool(s) on UNIX which supports
>software development in group and the functionality is at
>a level higher than SCCS. Can someone tell me what it is?

We began using CVS on top of RCS early this year.  It is available
from the comp.sources.misc (.unix?) archives.

I recommend it for supporting version control in a group environment
on large projects.  It allows each person to checkout a writeable
copy of the entire system, and has support tools for merging in
conflicting changes. (no flames please)

Anyway, Brian Berliner did a great job of designing this system.
I recall it was originally used by a software team to maintain
the source to a Unix system.

---
Stu Donaldson          UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!stu
Maverick Microsystems  ARPA: gtisqr!stu@yang.cpac.washington.edu
Mukilteo, Washington   Bell: (206) 743-6659

mo@clsib21.UUCP (Maurice O'Donnell) (10/25/90)

>We began using CVS on top of RCS early this year.  It is available
>from the comp.sources.misc (.unix?) archives.

		deleted stuff goes here
>---
>Stu Donaldson          UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!stu
>Maverick Microsystems  ARPA: gtisqr!stu@yang.cpac.washington.edu
>Mukilteo, Washington   Bell: (206) 743-6659

	would someone supply the address of a site that i
	could mail/ftp cvs from.

					thanks, (in advance)
					  mo

--