[comp.software-eng] Where to get 'cvs'

dick@cs.vu.nl (Dick Grune) (10/29/90)

Maurice O'Donnell (mo@clsib21.UUCP) asks:

>	would someone supply the address of a site that i
>	could mail/ftp cvs from.

The newest revision of CVS is available by anonymous ftp from

	star.cs.vu.nl

in the directory pub/cvs. This release features multiple directories and
a history mechanism.

Note that this is the original shell script CVS. There is a C version of an
older release by Brian Berliner, which is much faster and has some additions
of its own. It is compatible with my CVS; it is also available by anonymous
ftp from various sites (I can't find exactly from where right now). There
should (and probably will) be some effort to make both systems meet again,
but I've been doing other things lately.
					Dick Grune
					Vrije Universiteit
					de Boelelaan 1081
					1081 HV  Amsterdam
					the Netherlands
					dick@cs.vu.nl

berliner@rmtc.Central.Sun.COM (Brian Berliner) (10/30/90)

In <8068@star.cs.vu.nl> dick@cs.vu.nl (Dick Grune) writes:
>Note that this is the original shell script CVS. There is a C version of an
>older release by Brian Berliner, which is much faster and has some additions
>of its own. It is compatible with my CVS; it is also available by anonymous
>ftp from various sites (I can't find exactly from where right now). There
>should (and probably will) be some effort to make both systems meet again,
>but I've been doing other things lately.

The official 1.0 release of the C version of CVS can be ftp'ed from
uunet.uu.net in the directory ~ftp/comp.sources.unix/volume22/cvs-berliner.
Do also pick up the single patch file in that directory as well.
Send mail about this version of CVS to berliner@Sun.COM.  The address
listed in the README file is no longer available.

The distribution also contains the troff/pic/tbl source to the paper I
presented at the Winter 1990 USENIX conference on CVS.

Enjoy!

  Sun      Brian Berliner         berliner@sun.com         Work: 719-594-6018
     /\                           uunet!sun!berliner       Home: 719-528-1950
  /\/  \   Rocky Mountain Technology Center                Fax:  719-548-1009
 /  \   \  Sun Microsystems  5465 Mark Dabling Blvd.; Colo. Springs, CO 80918

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/31/90)

I'm sure this has been discussed before and I just missed it, so
could someone please e-mail me a description of what CVS is?
I believe that it some outer layer for RCS and it may be just what
I'm looking for.

BTW, what I want is a system to manage moving code back and forth
between "production control" and "development control" environments.

Thanks.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Don't call me Stupid!"
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "No.  That would be an insult