[comp.software-eng] List of Books

nha@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Nejib Ben Hadj-Alouane) (11/06/90)

Hello everyone,

Does anybody have a list of good textbooks and important research notes
in the field of Software (all areas)? Please mail it to me if you do!
Any format is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

My address: nha@crim.eecs.umich.edu.

                               --Nejib

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.204540.17704@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, nha@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Nejib Ben Hadj-Alouane) writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anybody have a list of good textbooks and important research notes
> in the field of Software (all areas)? Please mail it to me if you do!
> Any format is acceptable.

I hope the following is useful.

				-- Ed

---------------------------------------

		Readings In Object-Oriented Technology

			 by Edward V. Berard
		  Berard Software Engineering, Inc.

If you are interested in reading about any rapidly evolving
technology, it is best to keep the following in mind:

	-	Read more than one source. Look for sources which have
		different, and possibly conflicting, views of the
		material. It is often difficult to determine
		fundamental facts when only one viewpoint is present.

	-	Very often, authors confuse concepts with
		implementations. Ask yourself if the author is
		discussing a concept, or a particular implementation
		of the concept.

	-	Always be on the lookout for new sources. In the
		software technology arena in particular, significant
		changes can take place in less than a month.

	-	Take care to distinguish between differing viewpoints
		and conflicting viewpoints.

There are many topic areas in object-oriented software technology, and
literally thousands of books, articles, tutorials, and proceedings
devoted, in whole, or in part, to object-oriented software concepts.
What we will present here is some of the representative reading
material. Just because an item is included in this reading list does
not mean that it is recommended without qualifications, nor does it
mean that it is an authoritative source on a topic. However, the
material listed here is intended to help you understand more about the
technology.

		     Object-Oriented Programming

Object-oriented programming books most often tend to focus on
programming language aspects of object-oriented technology. However,
many fundamental concepts can be found in the books mentioned below:

[Cox, 1986]. B.J. Cox, Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary
Approach, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1986.

[Goldberg and Robson, 1983]. A. Goldberg and D. Robson, Smalltalk-80:
The Language and Its Implementation, Addison-Wesley, Reading,
Massachusetts, 1983.

[Meyer, 1988]. B. Meyer, Object-Oriented Software Construction,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1988.

[Keene, 1989]. S.E.Keene, Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp,
Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1989.

[Ellis and Stroustrup, 1990]. M.A. Ellis and B. Stroustrup, The
Annotated C++ Reference Manual, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts,
1990.

		Object-Oriented Requirements Analysis

There are a number of publicly available courses on object-oriented
requirements analysis. Since the technology is still new, these
courses present many differing viewpoints and approaches.  There are,
however, a number of references on the topic:

[Anderson et al, 1989]. J.A. Anderson, J. McDonald, L. Holland, and E.
Scranage, "Automated Object-Oriented Requirements Analysis and
Design," Proceedings of the Sixth Washington Ada Symposium, June
26-29, 1989, pp. 265 - 272.

[Coad and Yourdon, 1989]. P. Coad and E. Yourdon, OOA --
Object-Oriented Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey,
1989.

[Shlaer and Mellor, 1988]. S. Shlaer and S.J. Mellor, Object-Oriented
Systems Analysis: Modeling the World In Data, Yourdon Press:
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1988.

[Stoecklin et al, 1988]. S.E. Stoecklin, E.J. Adams, and S.Smith,
"Object-Oriented Analysis," Proceedings of the Fifth Washington Ada
Symposium, June 27 - 30, 1988, Association for Computing Machinery,
New York, New York, 1988, pp. 133 - 138.

		  Object-Oriented Design/Development

Most of the work which has been done in the area of object-oriented
life-cycle issues, outside of object-oriented programming, has been
accomplished within the Ada community. Some representative sources on
OOD are:

[Abbott, 1983]. R.J. Abbott, "Program Design by Informal English
Descriptions," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 26, No. 11, November
1983, pp. 882 - 894.

[Booch, 1982]. G. Booch, "Object Oriented Design," Ada Letters, Vol.
I, No. 3, March- April 1982, pp. 64 - 76.

[Booch, 1986]. G. Booch, "Object Oriented Development," IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-12, No. 2, February
1986, pp. 211 - 221.

[Booch, 1990]. G. Booch, "On the Concepts of Object-Oriented Design,"
in Modern Software Engineering: Foundations and Current Perspectives,
P.A. Ng and R.T. Yeh, Editors, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, New
York, 1990, pp. 165 - 204.

[Booch, 1991]. G. Booch, Object-Oriented Design With Applications,
Benjamin/Cummings, Redwood City, California, 1991.

[Heitz, 1988]. M. Heitz, "HOOD: A Hierarchical Object-Oriented Design
Method," Proceedings of the Third German Ada Users Congress, January
1988, Gesellschaft fur Software Engineering, Munich, West Germany, pp.
12-1 - 12-9.

[Masiero and Germano, 1988]. P. Masiero and F.S.R. Germano, "JSD As An
Object-Oriented Design Method," Software Engineering Notes, Vol. 13,
No. 3, July 1988, pp. 22 - 23.

[Stark and Seidewitz, 1987]. M. Stark and E.V. Seidewitz, "Towards a
General Object-Oriented Ada Life-Cycle," Proceedings of the Joint Ada
Conference, Fifth National Conference on Ada Technology and Washington
Ada Symposium, U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, Fort
Monmouth, New Jersey, pp. 213 - 222.

		      Object-Oriented Databases

Object-oriented databases are not the same thing as relational
databases. In effect, object-oriented database technology today is at
the same point relational database technology was in the late 1970s.
(I know more than a few vendors who would disagree with this point.)
Some representative information on the subject can be found in:

[Atkinson et al, 1989]. M. Atkinson, F. Bancilhon, D. DeWitt, K.
Dittrich, D. Maier, and S. Zdonik, "The Object-Oriented Database
System Manifesto," (Invited Paper), Proceedings of the First
International Conference on Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases,
Kyoto, Japan, December 4-6, 1989, pp. 40 - 57.

[Babcock, 1987]. C. Babcock, "Object is DBMS Focus," ComputerWorld,
Vol. XXI, No. 40, October 5, 1987, page 25.

[Blaha et al, 1988]. M.R. Blaha, W.J. Premerlani, and J.E. Rumbaugh,
"Relational Database Design Using an Object-Oriented Approach,"
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 31, No. 4, April 1988, pp. 414 - 427.

[Bochenski, 1988]. B.A. Bochenski, "On Object-Oriented Programming,
Databases," Software, Vol. 8, No. 11, September 1988, page 42.

[Dittrich and Dayal, 1986]. K. Dittrich and U. Dayal, Editors,
Proceedings of the 1986 International Workshop on Object-Oriented
Database Systems, IEEE Catalog Number 86TH0161-0, IEEE Computer
Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1986.

[Scannell, 1988]. T. Scannell, "Freeform DBMS the 'Object' of Startup
Company's Affection,"JMini-Micro Systems, Vol. XXI, No. 2, February
1988, pp. 16 - 22.

[Weiss, 1987]. R. Weiss, "Why Object-Oriented Databases?," Electronic
Engineering Times, No. 465, December 21, 1987, page 23.

[Wile and Allard, 1987]. D.S. Wile and D.G. Allard, "Worlds: an
Organizing Structure for Object-Bases," SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 22, No.
1, January 1987, pp. 16 - 26.

[Zdonik and Maier, 1990]. S.B. Zdonik and D. Maier, "Fundamentals of
Object-Oriented Databases," Readings in Object-Oriented Database
Systems, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc. San Mateo, California, 1990,
pp. 1 - 32.

		  Object-Oriented Computer Hardware

Even computer hardware can be constructed in an object-oriented
manner. Here are three references:

[Myers, 1982]. G.J. Myers, Advances in Computer Architecture, Second
Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, New York, 1982.

[Organick, 1983]. E. Organick, A Programmer's View of the Intel 432
System, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York,1983.

[Pountain, 1988]. D. Pountain, "Rekursiv: An Object-Oriented CPU,"
Byte, Vol. 13, No. 11, November 1988, pp. 341 - 349.

		       Object-Oriented Metrics

As organizations begin shifting to object-oriented approaches, they
find that some of the ways in which they used to measure things are
less appropriate. People have already begun asking about
object-oriented metrics. Although most work in this area is relatively
new, there are a growing number of references, including:

[Duhl and Damon, 1988]. J. Duhl and C. Damon, "A Performance
Comparison of Object and Relational Databases Using the Sun
Benchmark," OOPSLA '88 Conference Proceedings, Special Issue of
SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 23, No. 11, November 1988, pp. 153 - 163.

[Hufnagel and Brown, 1989]. S.P. Hufnagel and J.C. Brown, "Performance
Properties of Vertically Partitioned Object-Oriented Systems," IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 8, August 1989, pp.
935 - 946.

[Liberherr and Holland, 1989]. K.J. Liberherr and I.M. Holland,
"Assuring Good Style for Object-Oriented Programs," IEEE Software,
Vol. 6, No. 5, September 1989, pp. 38 - 48.

[Liberherr and Riel, 1988]. K.J. Liberherr and A.J. Riel, "Demeter: a
CASE Study of Software Growth Through Parameterized Classes," Journal
of Object-Oriented Programming, Vol. 1, No. 3, August/September 1988,
pp. 8 - 22.

	    General Object-Oriented Technology References

There are a number of general references on object-oriented
technology, including:

[ACM, 1986a]. Association for Computing Machinery, Special Issue of
SIGPLAN Notices on the Object-Oriented Programming Workshop, Vol. 21,
No. 10, October 1986.

[ACM, 1986b]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA '86
Conference Proceedings, Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 21, No.
11, November 1986.

[ACM, 1987]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA '87
Conference Proceedings, Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 22, No.
12, December 1987.

[ACM, 1988a]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA '87 Addendum
to the Proceedings, Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 23, No. 5,
May 1988.

[ACM, 1988b]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA '88
Conference Proceedings, Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 23, No.
11, November 1988.

[ACM, 1989]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA '89
Conference Proceedings, Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 24, No.
10, October 1989.

[ACM, 1990]. Association for Computing Machinery, OOPSLA/ECOOP '90
Conference Proceedings,  Special Issue of SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 25, No.
10, October 1990.

[Bezivin et al, 1987]. J. Bezivin, J.-M. Hullot, P. Cointe, and H.
Lieberman, ECOOP '87: Proceedings of the European Conference on
Object-Oriented Programming, Lecture Notes on Computer Science, Volume
276, Springer Verlag, New York, New York, 1987.

[Cook, 1989]. S. Cook, ECOOP '89: Proceedings of the European
Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, British Computer Society
Workshop Series, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United
Kingdom, 1989.

[Gill, 1988]. P. Gill, "MIS Slowly Warms Up to Object-Oriented
Programming," ComputerWorld, Vol. XXII, No. 8, February 22, 1988, pp
71 - 76.

[Gjessing and Nygaard, 1988]. S. Gjessing and K. Nygaard, ECOOP '88:
Proceedings of the European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming,
Lecture Note on Computer Science, Volume 322, Springer Verlag, New
York, New York, 1988.

[Kim and Lochovsky, 1989]. W. Kim and F. Lochovsky, Object-Oriented
Concepts, Databases, and Applications, ACM Press/Addison Wesley,
Reading, Massachusetts, 1989.

[Millikin, 1989]. M.D. Millikin, "Object Orientation: What It Can Do
For You," ComputerWorld, Vol. 23, No. 11. March 13, 1989, pp. 103 -
113.

[Peterson, 1987a]. G.E. Peterson, Tutorial: Object-Oriented Computing,
Volume 1: Concepts, IEEE Catalog Number EH0257-6, IEEE Computer
Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1987.

[Peterson, 1987b]. G.E. Peterson, Tutorial: Object-Oriented Computing,
Volume 2: Implementations, IEEE Catalog Number EH0257-6, IEEE Computer
Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1987.

[Shriver and Wegner, 1987]. B. Shriver and P. Wegner, Editors, Research
Directions in Object-Oriented Programming, The MIT Press, Cambridge,
Massachusetts, 1987.

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.204540.17704@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, nha@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Nejib Ben Hadj-Alouane) writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anybody have a list of good textbooks and important research notes
> in the field of Software (all areas)? Please mail it to me if you do!
> Any format is acceptable.

I hope the following is useful.

				-- Ed

---------------------------------------

What follows is the beginning of a reusability reading list.

Landmark references include:

	- "Mass Produced Software Components," by Doug McIlroy in
	  [Naur and Randell, 1969]: This is probably the first
	  significant article on software reusability. It was first
	  presented in October 1968. To my knowledge, Doug McIlroy
	  still works for AT&T in New Jersey.

	- Jim Neighbors's doctoral thesis [Neighbors, 1980]: This is
	  probably the first significant discussion of domain
	  analysis, and is frequently cited.

There are many, many software reusability references. If you have some
favorite references, please let me know, and I'll update the list.

[Tracz, 1988] has a reuse bibliography with over 600 references.

				-- Ed Berard
[Adelson and Soloway, 1985]. B. Adelson and E. Soloway, "The Role of
Domain Experience in Software Design," IEEE Transactions on Software
Engineering, Vol. SE-11, No. 11, November 1985, pp. 1351 - 1360.

[Alexandridis, 1986]. N.A. Alexandridis, "Adaptable Software and
Hardware: Problems and Solutions, " Computer, Vol. 19, No. 2, February
1986, pp. 29 - 39.

[Arango, 1989]. G. Arango, "Domain Analysis: From Art to Engineering
Discipline," Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop On
Software Specification and Design (Software Engineering Notes, Vol.
14, No. 3), May 1989, pp. 152 - 159.

[Barstow, 1985]. D.R. Barstow, "Domain-Specific Automatic
Programming," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-11,
No. 11, November 1985, pp. 1321 - 1336.

[Bassett, 1987]. P.G. Bassett, "Frame-Based Software Engineering,"
IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 9 - 16.

[Berard, 1987]. E.V. Berard, "Software Reusability Cannot Be
Considered in a Vacuum," Digest of Papers COMPCON, Spring 1987, IEEE
Catalog Number 87CH2409-1, Computer Society Order Number 764, Computer
Society Press of the IEEE, Washington, D.C., pp. 390 - 393.

[Biggerstaff and Richter, 1987]. T. Biggerstaff and C. Richter,
"Reusability Framework, Assessment, and Directions," IEEE Software,
Vol. 4, No. 2, March 1987, pp. 41 - 49.

[Biggerstaff and Perlis, 1989]. T. Biggerstaff and A.J. Perlis,
Software Reusability, Volume 1: Concepts and Models, Volume 2:
Applications and Experience, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts,
1989.

[Booch, 1987]. G. Booch, Software Components With Ada,
Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, California, 1987.

[Burton et al, 1987]. B.A. Burton, R.W. Aragon, S.A. Bailey, K.D.
Koehler, and L. A. Mayes, "The Reusable Software Library," IEEE
Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 25 - 33.

[Carstensen, 1987]. H.B. Carstensen, "A Real Example of Reusing
Ada Software," Proceedings of the Second National Conference on
Software Reusability and Maintainability, National Institute for
Software Quality and Productivity, Washington, D.C., March 1987, pp.
B-1 to B-19.

[Conn, 1987]. R. Conn, "The Ada Software Repository," Digest of Papers
COMPCON, Spring 1987, IEEE Catalog Number 87CH2409-1, Computer Society
Order Number 764, Computer Society Press of the IEEE, Washington,
D.C., pp. 372 - 375.

[Devanbu et al, 1989a]. P. Devanbu, P. Selfridge, B. Ballard, and R.
Brachman, "Steps toward a Knowledge Based Software Information
System," Proceedings International Joint Conference on Artificial
Intelligence, Detroit, Michigan, 1989, pp. 110-115.

[Devanbu et al, 1989b]. P. Devanbu, P. Selfridge, and R. Brachman,
"Inference in Support of Retrieval for Re-Use in Large Software
Systems," IEEE/SPS Workshop on Software Re-Use, Indialantic, Florida,
1989.

[Devanbu and Bachman, 1989]. P. Devanbu and R. Bachman, "OOPSLA
Workshop on Domain Modeling in Software Engineering," New Orleans,
Louisiana, 1989.

[Dusink and van Katwijk, 1987]. E.M. Dusink and J. van Katwijk,
"Reflections on Reusable Software and Software Components," Ada
Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of the Ada-Europe
International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Edited by S.
Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., pp. 113 - 126.

[DOD, 1978]. Department of Defense Requirements for High Order
Computer Programming Languages: "Steelman", NTIS Order Number
ADA059444, 1978.

[EVB, 1985] EVB Software Engineering, An Object Oriented Design
Handbook for Ada Software, 1985.

[Embley and Woodfield, 1987]. D.W. Embley and S.N. Woodfield, "A
Knowledge Structure for Reusing Abstract Data Types in Ada Software
Production," Proceedings of the Joint Ada Conference, Fifth National
Conference on Ada Technology and Washington Ada Symposium, U.S. Army
Communications-Electronics Command, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, pp. 27
- 34.

[Fischer, 1987]. G. Fischer, "Cognitive View of Reuse and Redesign,"
IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 60 - 72.

[Frakes and Nejmeh, 1987]. W.B Frakes and B.A. Nejmeh, "An Information
System for Software Re-Use," Proceedings of the Tenth Minnowbrook
Workshop on Software Re-Use, 1987, pp. 142-151.

[Frankowski, 1986]. E. N. Frankowski. "Why Programs Built from
Reusable Software Should be Single Paradigm," Proceedings of the STARS
Reusability Workshop, March 24-27, 1986.

[Freeman, 1987].  P. Freeman, Editor, Tutorial: Software Reusability,
IEEE Catalog Number EHO256-8, IEEE Computer Society Press, Washington,
DC, 1987.

[Gargaro and Pappas, 1987]. A. Gargaro and T.L. Pappas, "Reusability
Issues and Ada," IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 43 - 51.

[Gautier, 1987]. R.J. Gautier, "A Language for Describing Ada Software
Components," Ada Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of the
Ada-Europe International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Edited
by S. Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., pp. 75 -
84.

[Goguen, 1986] J.A. Goguen, "Reusing and Interconnecting Software
Components," Computer, Vol. 19, No. 2, February 1986, pp. 16 - 28.

[IEEE, 1983].  IEEE, IEEE Standard Glossary of Software Engineering
Terminology, The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, New
York, 1983.

[Jones, 1983]. T.C. Jones, Editor, Tutorial: Programmer Productivity:
Issues for The Eighties, IEEE Catalog Number EHO186-7, Computer
Society Order Number 391.

[Jones, 1986]. C. Jones, Editor, Tutorial Programming Productivity:
Issues for The Eighties, Second Edition, IEEE Computer Society Press
(catalog number EHO239-4), Washington, DC, 1986.

[Kaiser and Garlan, 1987]. G.E. Kaiser and D. Garlan, "Melding
Software Systems from Reusable Building Blocks," IEEE Software, Vol.
4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 17 - 24.

[Lenz et al, 1987]. M. Lenz, H.A. Schmid, and P.F. Wolf, "Software
Reuse Through Building Blocks," IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July
1987, pp. 34 - 42.

[Levy and Ripken, 1987]. P. Levy and K. Ripken, "Experience in
Constructing Ada Programs from Non-Trivial Reusable Modules," Ada
Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of the Ada-Europe
International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Edited by S.
Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., pp. 100 - 112.

[Mac An Airchinnigh et al, 1987]. M. Mac An Airchinnigh, A. Burns, and
C. Chedgey, "Reusable Units - Construction Methods and Measure," Ada
Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of the Ada-Europe
International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Edited by S.
Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., pp. 127 - 140.

[Margono and Berard, 1987]. J. Margono and E.V. Berard, "A Modified
Booch's Taxonomy for Ada Generic Data-Structure Components and Their
Implementation," Ada Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of
the Ada-Europe International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987,
Edited by S. Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.,
pp. 61 - 74.

[Masters and Kuchinski, 1983]. M.W. Masters and M.J. Kuchinski,
"Software Design Prototyping Using Ada," Ada Letters, Vol. II, No. 4,
January-February 1983, pp. 68 - 75.

[Matsumoto, 1984]. Y. Matsumoto. "Some Experiences in Promoting
Reusable Software: Presentation in Higher Abstract Levels," IEEE
Transaction on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-10, No. 5, September
1984, pp. 502 - 513.

[Mendal, 1986]. G.O. Mendal, "Designing for Ada Reuse: A Case Study",
in the Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Second International
Conference on Ada Applications and Environments, April 8-10, 1986,
Miami Beach, FL, pages 33-42.

[Meyer, 1987]. B. Meyer, "Reusability: The Case for Object-Oriented
Design," IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 2, March 1987, pp. 50 - 64.

[Naur and Randell, 1969].  P. Naur and B. Randell, Editors, Software
Engineering: Report on a Conference Sponsored by the NATO Science
Committee, Garmisch, Germany, October 7-11, 1968.

[Neighbors, 1980]. J.M. Neighbors, "Software Construction Using
Components," Technical Report 160, Department of Information and
Computer Sciences, University of California, Irvine, 1980.

[Nissen and Wallis, 1984]. J. Nissen and P. Wallis, Portability and
Style In Ada, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom,
1984.

[Parnas, 1972]. D.L. Parnas, "On the Criteria To Be Used in
Decomposing Systems Into Modules," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 5,
No. 12, December 1972, pp. 1053-1058.

[Ratcliffe, 1987]. M. Ratcliffe, "Report on a Workshop on Software
Reuse Held at Hereford, UK on 1,2 May 1986," Software Engineering
Notes, Volume 12, No. 1, January 1987, pp. 42 - 47.

[Russell, 1987]. G.E. Russell, "Experiences Implementing a Reusable
Data Structure Component Taxonomy," Proceedings of the Joint Ada
Conference, Fifth National Conference on Ada Technology and Washington
Ada Symposium, U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, Fort
Monmouth, New Jersey, pp. 8 - 18.

[St. Dennis et al, 1986] R. St. Dennis, P. Stachour, E. Frankowski,
and E. Onuegne, "Measurable Characteristics of Reusable Ada Software,"
Ada Letters, Vol. VI, No. 2, March, April 1986, pp. 41 - 50.

[Shlaer and Mellor, 1989]. S. Shlaer and S.J. Mellor, "An
Object-Oriented Approach to Domain Analysis," Software Engineering
Notes, Vol. 14, No. 5, July 1989, pp. 66 - 77.

[Sivley, 1987]. K.E. Sivley, "Experience and Lessons Learned in
Transporting Ada Software," Proceedings of the Joint Ada Conference,
Fifth National Conference on Ada Technology and Washington Ada
Symposium, U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, Fort
Monmouth, New Jersey, pp. 436 - 440.

[Solderitch et al, 1989]. J. Solderitch, K. Wallnau, and J. Thalhamer,
"Constructing Domain-Specific Ada re-use Libraries," Proceedings,
Seventh Annual National Conference on Ada Technology, Atlantic City,
New Jersey, March, 1989.

[Standish, 1984]. T. A. Standish. "An Essay on Software Reuse," IEEE
Transaction on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-10, No. 5, September
1984, pp. 494-497.

[Tracz, 1987a]. W. Tracz, "Software Reuse: Motivators and Inhibitors,"
Digest of Papers COMPCON, Spring 1987, IEEE Catalog Number 87CH2409-1,
Computer Society Order Number 764, Computer Society Press of the IEEE,
Washington, D.C., pp. 358 - 363.

[Tracz, 1987b]. W. Tracz, "Ada Reusability Efforts: A Survey of the
State of the Practice," Proceedings of the Joint Ada Conference, Fifth
National Conference on Ada Technology and Washington Ada Symposium,
U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, Fort Monmouth, New
Jersey, pp. 35 - 44.

[Tracz, 1987c]. W. Tracz, "Reusability Comes of Age," IEEE Software,
Vol. 4, No. 4, July 1987, pp. 6 - 8.

[Tracz, 1988]. W. Tracz, "Software Reuse: Emerging Technology," IEEE
Catalog Number EH0278-2, Computer Society Order Number 846, IEEE
Computer Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1988.

[Wald, 1987]. E.E. Wald, "Software Engineering with Reusable Parts,"
Digest of Papers COMPCON, Spring 1987, IEEE Catalog Number 87CH2409-1,
Computer Society Order Number 764, Computer Society Press of the IEEE,
Washington, D.C., pp. 353 - 356.

[Welch, 1987]. P.H. Welch, "Parallel Processes as Reusable
Components," Ada Components: Libraries and Tools - Proceedings of the
Ada-Europe International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Edited
by S. Tafvelin, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., pp. 86 -
99.

[Wong, 1986]. W. Wong, A Management Overview of Software Reuse, NBS
Special Publication 500-142, U.S. Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C., September 1986.

[Woodfield et al, 1987]. S.N. Woodfield, D.W. Embley, and D.T. Scott,
"Can Programmers Reuse Software?," IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 4, July
1987, pp. 52 - 59.

---------------------------------------

If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, please feel free
to contact me. Thanks.

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.204540.17704@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, nha@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Nejib Ben Hadj-Alouane) writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anybody have a list of good textbooks and important research notes
> in the field of Software (all areas)? Please mail it to me if you do!
> Any format is acceptable.

What follows is generally a testing bibliography. You should note several
things:

	- The list includes references on software debugging and software
	  quality assurance, as well as software testing (they are related
	  topics)

	- Some references deal only in part with software testing, but are
	  included for completeness

	- There are literally thousands of references (e.g., books, articles,
	  proceeding, and dissertations) on software testing.

I hope this helps.

				-- Ed

--------------------------------------

			Testing Bibliography

[Ackerman et al, 1989]. A. F. Ackerman, L. Buchwald, and F. Lewski,
"Software Inspections: An Effective Verification Process," IEEE
Software, Vol. 6, No. 3, May 1989, pp. 31 - 36.

[Agrawal and Spafford, 1989]. H. Agarwal and E. Spafford, "Bibliography
on Debugging and Backtracking," Software Engineering Notes, Vol. 14, No.
2, April 1989, pp. 49 - 56.

[Anderson, 1979]. R.B. Anderson, Proving Programs Correct, John Wiley
and Sons, New York, New York, 1979.

[Aron, 1974]. J.D. Aron, The Program Development Process, The Individual
Programmer, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Massachusetts, 1974.

[Balfour, 1988]. B. Balfour, "On 'Unit Testing' and other Uses of the
Term 'Unit'," MCC '88 Military Computing Conference, Military Computing
Institute, 1988, pp. 127 - 130.

[Basili and Selby, 1987]. V.R. Basili and R.W. Selby, "Comparing the
Effectiveness of Software Testing Strategies," IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 12, December 1987, pp. 1278 - 1296.

[Bates, 1989]. P. Bates, "Debugging Heterogeneous Distributed Systems
Using Event-Based Models of Behavior,"JSIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 24, No. 1,
January 1989, pp. 11 - 22.

[Beizer, 1983]. B. Beizer, Software Testing Techniques, Van Nostrand
Reinhold, New York, New York, 1983.

[Beizer, 1990]. B. Beizer, Software Testing Techniques, Second Edition,
Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, New York, 1990.

[Berg et al, 1982]. H.K. Berg, W.E. Boebert, W.R. Franta, and T.G.
Moher, Formal Methods of Program Verification and Specification,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982.

[Bessen and Queyras, 1987]. M. Bessen and B. Queyras, "GET: A Test
Generator for Ada," Ada Components: Libraries and Tools -- Proceedings
of the Ada-Europe International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1987, pp. 237 -
252.

[Bowen, 1985]. J.B. Bowen, "Are Current Approaches Sufficient for
Measuring Software Quality?," Tutorial on Software Quality Assurance
Practical Approach, ed. T.S. Chow, IEEE Computer Society Press, New
York, New York, 1985, pp. 62-69.

[Brown and Sampson, 1973]. A.R. Brown and W.A. Sampson, Program
Debugging, Macdonald, London, United Kingdom, 1973.

[Carver, 1989]. R. Carver, Testing, Debugging, and Analysis of
Concurrent Software, Ph.D. Thesis, North Carolina State University at
Raleigh, Raleigh, North Carolina, (UMI Order No. GAX89-18077), 1989.

[Carver and Tai, 1989]. R. Carver and K.C. Tai, "Deterministic Execution
Testing of Concurrent Ada Programs," Proceedings of TRI-Ada '89 -- Ada
Technology In Context: Application, Development, and Deployment, October
23-26, 1989, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, New York,
pp. 528 - 544.

[Cho, 1980]. Chin-Kuei, An Introduction to Software Quality Control,
John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1980.

[Chow, 1985]. T.S. Chow, Editor, IEEE Tutorial: Software Quality
Assurance: A Practical Approach, IEEE Computer Society Press, Silver
Spring, Maryland, 1985.

[Chusho, 1987]. T. Chusho, "Test Data Selection and Quality Estimation
Based on the Concept of Essential Branches for Path Testing," IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-13, No. 5, May 1987, pp.
509 - 517.

[Crosby, 1979].  P. B. Crosby, Quality is Free, The New American
Library, Inc., New York, New York, 1979.

[DeMillo, et. al., 1987]. R. DeMillo, W. McCracken, R. Martin, J.
Passafiume, Software Test and Evaluation, Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park,
California, 1987.

[Dencker, 1989]. P. Dencker, "The Ada-IDAS Project Monitoring Task
States," Proceedings of the Sixth Washington Ada Symposium, Association
for Computing Machinery, New York, New York, 1989, pp. 81 - 87.

[Dijkstra, 1969]. E.W. Dijkstra, "Structured Programming," reprinted in
Software Engineering, Concepts and Techniques, Buxton, Naur, Randall,
Editors, Litton Educational Publishing, New York, New York, 1976.

[Dijkstra, 1975]. E.W. Dijkstra, "Guarded Commands, Nondeterminacy, and
Formal Derivations of Programs," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 18, No.
8, August 1975, pp. 453-457.

[Dunn, 1984]. R. Dunn, Software Defect Removal, McGraw-Hill, New York,
New York, 1984.

[Dunn and Ullman, 1982]. R Dunn and R Ullman, Quality Assurance For
Computer Software, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 1982.

[Dunn, 1990]. R. H. Dunn, Software Quality: Concepts and Plans,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1990.

[Fagan, 1976]. M.E. Fagan, "Design and Code Inspections To Reduce Errors
in Program Development," IBM Systems Journal, Vol 15, No. 3, 1976, pp.
219 - 248.

[Fagan, 1986]. M.E. Fagan, "Advances in Software Inspections," IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 7, July 1986, pp. 744
- 751.

[Fiedler, 1989]. S.P. Fiedler, "Object-Oriented Unit Testing," HP
Journal, Vol. 36, No. 4, April 1989.

[Frankel and Weyuker, 1987]. P.G. Frankel and E.J. Weyuker, "Data Flow
Testing in the Presence of Unexecutable Paths," Proceedings of the
Workshop on Software Testing, Banff, Canada, July 1987, pp. 4 - 13.

[Freedman and Weinberg, 1982]. D.P. Freedman and G.M. Weinberg, Handbook
of Walkthroughs, Inspections, And Technical Reviews, Third Edition,
little, Brown and Company, Boston, Massachusetts, 1982.

[Gelperin and Hetzel, 1988]. D. Gelperin and B. Hetzel, "The Growth of
Software Testing," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 31, No. 6, June 1988,
pp. 687 - 695.

[German, 1984]. S.M German, "Monitoring for Deadlock and Blocking in Ada
Tasking," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol SE-10, No. 6,
November 1984, pp. 764 - 777.

[German et al, 1982]. S.M. German, D. P. Helmbold, and D.C. Luckham,
"Monitoring for Deadlocks in Ada Tasking," ACM 0-89791-0877/82/010/0010,
Proceedings of the AdaTEC Conference on Ada, Virginia, October, 1982,
pp. 10 - 25.

[Gilb, 1977]. T. Gilb, Software Metrics, Winthrop Publishers, Inc.,
Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1977.

[Glass, 1979]. R.L. Glass, Software Reliability Guidebook,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1979.

[Grogono and Bennett, 1989]. P. Grogono and A. Bennett, "Polymorphism
and Type Checking in Object-Oriented Languages," SIGPLAN Notices, Vol.
24, No. 11, November 1989, pp. 109 - 115.

[Gunther, 1978]. R.C. Gunther, Management Methodology For Software
Product Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1978.

[Halstead, 1977]. M. Halstead, Elements of Software Science, Operating
and Programming Systems Series, Elservier Computer Science Library, New
York, New York, 1977.

[Hansen, 1973]. P.B. Hansen, "Concurrent Programming Concepts," ACM
Computing Surveys, Vol. 5, No. 4, December 1973, pp. 223 - 245.

[Hathorn, 1989]. F. Hathorn, "Structured Tasks," Proceedings of the
Sixth Washington Ada Symposium, Association for Computing Machinery, New
York, New York, 1989, pp. 265 - 272.

[Hembold and Luckham, 1985]. D. Hembold and D. Luckham, "TSL: Task
Sequencing Language," Ada in Use, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge,
U.K., 1985.

[Hoare, 1971]. C.A.R. Hoare, "Proof of a Program: FIND," Communications
of the ACM, Vol. 14, No. 1, January 1971, pp. 39 - 45.

[Hoare, 1985]. C.A.R. Hoare, Communicating Sequential Processes,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1985.

[Hobin, 1988a]. C. Hobin, "The Ada Test and Verification System (ATVS),"
Conference Proceedings Tri-Ada '88, 1988.

[Hobin, 1988b]. C. Hobin, "The Ada Test and Verification System (ATVS):
An Overview," Conference Proceedings Ada Expo '88, 1988.

[Honda and Yonezawa, 1989]. Y. Honda and A. Yonezawa, "Debugging
Concurrent Systems Based on Object Groups," in ECOOP '88: Proceedings of
the European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Lecture Note on
Computer Science, Volume 322, S. Gjessing and K. Nygaard, Editors,
Springer Verlag, New York, New York, 1988, pp. 267 - 282.

[Howden, 1987]. W. Howden, Software Engineering and Technology:
Functional Program Testing, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 1987.

[Hseush and Kaiser, 1988]. W. Hseush and G.E. Kaiser, "Data Path
Debugging: Data-Oriented Debugging for a Concurrent Programming
Language," Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS Workshop on Parallel
and Distributed Debugging, Madison, Wisconsin, May 1988, pp. 236 - 246.

[IEEE, 1981]. IEEE Standard ATLAS Test Language, IEEE Standard 416-1981,
1981.

[Isoda, 1987]. S. Isoda, "Visual Debugger VIPS: Visual Representation of
Program Execution," Conference Proceedings Software Testing and
Validation September 23-24,1987, National Institute for Software Quality
and Productivity, Inc., 1987, pp. E-l - E-27.

[Kaiser et al, 1989]. G.E. Kaiser, D.E. Perry, and W.M. Schell, "INFUSE:
Fusing Integration Test Management With Change Management," Proceeding
of COMPSAC '89 -- The 13th Annual International Computer Software and
Application Conference, Orlando, Florida, September 1989, pp. 552 - 558.

[Laski, 1989]. J. Laski, "Testing in the Program Development Cycle,"
Software Engineering Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, March 1989, pp. 95 - 106.

[Lazzerini and Lopriore, 1989]. B. Lazzerini and L. Lapriore,
"Abstraction Mechanisms for Event Control in Program Debugging," IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 7, July 1989, pp. 890
- 901.

[Lin and LeBlanc, 1989]. C. Lin and R. LeBlanc, "Event Based Debugging
of Object/Action Programs, SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 24, No. 1, January
1989, pp. 23 - 34.

[Luckham, et, al., 1987]. D. Luckham, R. Neff, and D. Rosenblum, "An
Environment for Ada Software Development Based on Formal Specification,"
Ada Letters, Vol. 7, No. 3, 1987.

[McCabe, 1976]. T. McCabe, "A Complexity Measure" IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering, December 1976, pp. 308 - 320.

[McCabe, 1987]. T. McCabe, "Automating the Testing Process Through
Complexity Metrics," Conference Proceedings Software Testing and
Validation September 23-24, 1987, National Institute for Software
Quality and Productivity, Inc., 1987, pp. G-l - G-30.

[McCracken, 1987]. W. McCracken, "Testing Reusable Ada Software,"
Conference Proceedings Software Testing and Validation September 23-24,
1987, National Institute for Software Quality and Productivity, Inc.,
1987, pp. P- 1 - P-27.

[McGettrick, 1982] A. D. McGettrick, Program Verification Using Ada,
Cambridge Computer Science Texts 13, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge, UK, 1982.

[Mackay and Davenport, 1989]. W. Mackay and G. Davenport, "Virtual Video
Editing in Interactive Multimedia Applications," Communications of the
ACM, Vol. 32, No. 7, July 1989, pp. 802 - 810.

[Martin, 1988]. R.J. Martin, "Assurance Technology," Conference
Proceedings Tri-Ada '88, 1988.

[Miller and Howden, 1981]. E. Miller, and W.E. Howden, Tutorial:
Software Testing and Validation Techniques, IEEE Computer Society Press,
Washington, D.C., IEEE Catalog No. EHO180-0, 1981.

[Mizuno, 1983]. Y. Mizuno, "Software Quality Improvement," IEEE
Computer, Vol. 16, No. 3, March 1983, pp. 66 - 72.

[Musa and Ackerman, 1989]. J. Musa and A. F. Ackerman, "Quantifying
Software Validation: When to Stop Testing?," IEEE Software, Vol. 6, No.
3, May 1989, pp. 19 - 27.

[Myers, 1979]. G.J. Myers, The Art of Software Testing, John Wiley and
Sons, New York, New York, 1979.

[Myers, 1976]. G.J. Myers, Software Reliability Principles and
Practices, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1976.

[Neumann, 1989]. P. Neumann, "Flaws in Specifications and What to Do
About Them," Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Software
Specification and Design, May 19-20, 1989, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
Published as Software Engineering Notes, Vol. 14 No. 3, IEEE Computer
Society Press, Washington, D.C., May 1989, pp. xi - xv.

[Ostrand et al, 1987]. T.J. Ostrand, R. Sigal, and E. Weyuker, "Design
for a Tool to Manage Specification Based Testing," Workshop on Software
Testing, Banff, Canada, July 1987, pp. 41 - 50.

[Parrington and Roper, 1989]. N. Parrington and M. Roper, Understanding
Software Testing, Halstead Press, New York, New York, 1989.

[Podgurski and Clarke, 1989]. A. Podgurski and L. Clarke, "The
Implications of Program Dependencies for Software Testing, Debugging,
and Maintenance," Software Engineering Notes, Vol. 14, No. 8, December
1989, pp. 168 - 178.

[Poutanen, 1987]. O. Poutanen, "Two Portable Ada Testing Tools TBGEN and
TCMON," Ada Components: Libraries and Tools -- Proceedings of the
Ada-Europe International Conference, Stockholm 26-28 May 1987, Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1987, pp. 197 - 208.

[Quirk, 1985]. W.J. Quirk, Editor, Verification and Validation of
Real-Time Software, Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, 1985.

[Radi, 1988a]. T. Radi, "TestGen--Testing Tool for Ada Designs and Ada
Code," Proceedings of the Sixth National Conference on Ada Technology,
1988.

[Radi, 1988b]. T. Radi, "Testing Ada Designs and Code--TestGen--Ada
Testing Tool," Conference Proceedings Tri-Ada '88, ACM Press, New York,
New York 1988, pp. 165 - 180.

[Radi, 1988c]. T. Radi, "TestGen--Testing Tool for Ada Designs and Ada
Code," Conference Proceedings Ada Expo '88, 1988.

[Radi, 1989]. T. Radi, "TestGen--Testing Tool for Ada Designs and Ada
Code," Proceedings of the Sixth Washington Ada Symposium, Association
for Computing Machinery, New York, New York, 1989, pp. 53 - 61.

[Remkes, et. al., 1989]. D. Remkes, K. Gutzmann, and F. Sizer,
"Automated Test Support for Ada PDL," Proceedings of the Sixth
Washington Ada Symposium, Association for Computing Machinery, New York,
New York, 1989, pp. 39 - 45.

[Roe and Rowland, 1987]. R.P. Roe and J.H. Rowland, "Some Theory
Concerning Certification of Mathematical Subroutines by Black Box
Testing," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-13, No. 7,
July 1987, pp. 761 - 766.

[Sankar, et. al., 1985]. S. Sankar, D. Rosenblum, and R. Neff, "An
Implementation of Anna," Ada in Use, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge, U.K. 1985.

[Schulmeyer and McManus, 1987]. G.G. Schulmeyer and J.I. McManus,
Editors, Handbook of Software Quality Assurance, Van Nostrand Reinhold,
New York, New York, 1987.

[Shneiderman, 1980]. B. Shneiderman, Software Psychology, Winthrop
Publishers, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1980.

[Strelich, 1986]. T. Strelich, "Ada Test and Verification System: ATVS,"
Proceedings of the First International Conference on Ada Programming
Language Applications For the NASA Space Station, 1986.

[Tai, 1985]. K.C. Tai, "Reproducible Testing of Concurrent Ada
Programs," Proceedings of SOFTFAIR II, IEEE Computer Society Press,
Silver Spring, Maryland, December, 1985, pp. 114 - 120.

[Tai, 1985]. K.C. Tai, "On Testing Concurrent Programs," Proceedings of
COMPSAC '85, IEEE Computer Society Press, Silver Spring, Maryland,
October, 1985, pp. 310 - 317.

[Tai, 1986a]. K.C. Tai, "A Graphical Representation of Rendezvous
Sequences of Concurrent Ada Programs," Ada Letters, Vol. 6, No. 1,
January/February 1986, pp. 94 - 103.

[Tai, 1986b]. K.C. Tai, "Reproducible Testing of Ada Tasking Programs,"
Proceedings of the IEEE Second International Conference on Ada
Applications and Environments, IEEE Computer Society Press, Silver
Spring, Maryland, 1986, pp. 69 - 79.

[Tai, 1987]. K.C. Tai, "A Methodology for Testing Concurrent Ada
Programs," Proceedings of The Joint Ada Conference Fifth National
Conference on Ada Technology and Washington Ada Symposium, March, 1987,
pp. 459 - 464.

[Tai and Din, 1985]. K.C. Tai and C. Y. Din, "Validation of Concurrency
in Software Specification and Design," Third International Workshop on
Software Specification and Design, IEEE Computer Society Press, Silver
Spring, Maryland, 1985, pp. 223 - 227.

[Tai et al, 1989]. K.C. Tai, R.H. Carver, and E.E. Obaid, "Deterministic
Execution Debugging of Concurrent Ada Programs," Proceedings of Compsac
'89, IEEE Computer Society Press, Silver Spring, Maryland, October,
1989, pp. 102 - 109.

[Tassel, 1978]. D.V. Tassel, Program Style, Design, Efficiency,
Debugging, and Testing, Second Edition, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs,
New Jersey, 1978.

[Tauson-Conte, 1988]. H. Tauson-Conte, "Ada Complexity Extension (ACE)
An extension of McCabe's Cyclomatic Complexity Metric for Analysis of
Ada Software," Proceedings of the Sixth National Conference on Ada
Technology, 1988, pp. 7 - 12.

[Taylor and Standish, 1985]. R.N. Taylor and T.A. Standish, "Steps to an
Advanced Ada Programming Environment," IEEE Transactions on Software
Engineering, Vol. SE-l 1, No. 3, March 1985, pp. 302 - 309.

[Taylor, 1983]. R.N. Taylor, "A General-Purpose Algorithm for Analyzing
Concurrent Programs," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 26 No. 5, May,
1983, pp 362 - 376.

[Taylor, 1986]. R. N. Taylor, "Structural Testing of Concurrent
Programs," 1986.

[von Henke, et. al., 1985]. F. W. von Henke, D. Luckham, B.
Krieg-Brueckner, and O. Owe, "Semantic Specification of Ada Packages,"
Ada in Use, Cambridge Press, Cambridge, UK, 1985.

[Wallace and Fujii, 1989a]. D. Wallace and R. Fujii, "Verification and
No. 3, May 1989, pp. 8 - 9.

[Wallace and Fujii, 1989b]. D. Wallace and R. Fujii, "Software
Verification and Validation: An Overview," IEEE Software, Vol. 6, No. 3,
May 1989, pp. 10 - 18.

[Weinberg, 1971]. G.M. Weinberg, The Psychology of Computer Programming,
Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, New York, 1971.

[Weyuker, 1986]. E.J. Weyuker, "Axiomatizing Software Test Data
Accuracy," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-12, No.
12, December 1986, pp. 1128 - 1138.

[Weyuker, 1988]. E.J. Weyuker, "The Evaluation of Program-Based Software
Test Data Accuracy Criteria," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 31, No. 6,
June 1988, pp. 668 - 675.

[Young and Taylor, 1986]. M. Young and R. N. Taylor, "Combining Static
Concurrency Analysis with Symbolic Execution," 1986.

[Yourdon, 1975]. E. Yourdon, Techniques of Program Structure and Design,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1975.

[Yourdon, 1978]. E. Yourdon, Structured Walkthroughs, Second Edition,
Yourdon Press, New York, New York, 1978.

[Yourdon, 1989]. E. Yourdon, Managing The Structured Techniques, Fourth
Edition, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989.

[Yourdon and Constantine, 1979]. E. Yourdon and M. Constantine,
Structured Design, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1979.

[Zweben and Gourlay, 1989]. S.H. Zweben and J. Gourlay, "On the Adequacy
of Weyuker's Test Data Adequacy Axioms," IEEE Transactions on Software
Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 4, April 1989, pp. 496 - 500.