[comp.software-eng] *Help* - Where is Barry???

jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler) (11/04/90)

The DECUS L&T SIG is looking for their next Symposia Keynote Speaker. The Fall
'90 speaker is Dr. Peter Chen, discussing CASE and Data Modeling. I was hoping
to line up someone on metrics for the Spring Symposia.

In this hope I called TRW looking for Barry Boehm. It appears as if I called
too late, as he is "no longer with a company called TRW". As I have to get the
Spring '91 Keynote Speaker locked in soon, does anyone know where I could find
Barry? If you do, could you please mail me his Company Name (and phone number
if you have it).

Also, as I am attempting to plan as far into the future as possible when lining
up these speakers, I would love to know who you would recommend and why (I was
thinking Ed Yourdon in Fall '91 to discuss YSM and OOD).

Please feel free to provide me with input. I can be reached at:

jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (work)
ivler@eisner.decus.org (DECUS)

jmi [J.M. Ivler]
DECUS L&T SIG - Steering Committee

jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov4.153640.1@dac.mdcbbs.com>, I wrote:
> The DECUS L&T SIG is looking for their next Symposia Keynote Speaker. The Fall
> '90 speaker is Dr. Peter Chen, discussing CASE and Data Modeling. I was hoping
> to line up someone on metrics for the Spring Symposia.
>
> In this hope I called TRW looking for Barry Boehm. It appears as if I called
> too late, as he is "no longer with a company called TRW". As I have to get the
> Spring '91 Keynote Speaker locked in soon, does anyone know where I could find
> Barry? If you do, could you please mail me his Company Name (and phone number
> if you have it).
>
> jmi [J.M. Ivler]
> DECUS L&T SIG - Steering Committee

Well, thanks to everyone who replied (via e-mail) with barry's new address. I
will be contacting him (I hope) shortly. I would still like input as to who you
would want to see...

Thanks again.

jmi

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.160808.1@dac.mdcbbs.com> jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler) writes:
>In article <1990Nov4.153640.1@dac.mdcbbs.com>, I wrote:
>> The DECUS L&T SIG is looking for their next Symposia Keynote Speaker. The Fall
>> '90 speaker is Dr. Peter Chen, discussing CASE and Data Modeling. I was hoping
>> to line up someone on metrics for the Spring Symposia.
>  I would still like input as to who you >would want to see...

If it's metrics you're interested in Bill Curtis or Vic Basili are
must have's. They're much more connected in the metrics community than
say Barry Boehm is (Boehm is traditionally considered more estimation
model-ish, but still a great draw). Also, Bob Grady or Capers Jones
are well associated with metrics among practitioners. I may be going
out on a limb, but Tom McCabe is pretty popular among practitioners
too (this isn't to say that Curtis or Basili don't appeal to practitioners,
but they also have a significant draw among researcher/academic types too).

Did I leave anyone out?

Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science                                503/725-3108
Portland State University