[comp.software-eng] Spiral Model of Soft. Developm.

syg@ecmwf.co.uk (Gilberto Camara) (11/18/90)

At  the European Weather Centre, we are looking very closely
at the "spiral" model proposed by Barry Boehm as an alternative
to the traditional "waterfall" approach.

The software project under development involves data base
management and visualisation of LARGE amounts of data,
generated on a CRAY Y-MP and displayed at workstattions.

It appears that the "spiral" model is better suited to such environments
than the "waterfall". Has anyone has experince on it ?

BTW, the basic reference we're using is:

"A Spiral Model of Software Development and Enhancement",
Barry Boehm, IEEE Computer, May 1988.

--
Gilberto Camara  (usually inpedpi@brfapesp.bitnet but now consulting at ECMWF)
ECMWF (European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts)

ianr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (11/20/90)

syg@ecmwf.co.uk (Gilberto Camara) writes:

> It appears that the "spiral" model is better suited to such environments
> than the "waterfall". Has anyone has experince on it ?
>
> BTW, the basic reference we're using is:
>
> "A Spiral Model of Software Development and Enhancement",
> Barry Boehm, IEEE Computer, May 1988.

I didn't know that this method had been formally proposed (but I
guess someone had to), the AI community has been (implicitly) doing
things this way for decades.

Just my L.02

Ian Rogers
Poplog U.K.

Janet/Arpa:     ianr@uk.ac.susx.cogs  |   Cognitive & Computing Sciences
      uucp:            ukc!cogs!ianr  |   Sussex University, Falmer,
     voice: +44-(0)273-606755  x2392  |   Brighton, England.

    "Deep in the fundemental heart of mind and Universe," said Slartibartfast,
"there is a reason" - Douglas Adams